Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Backing in is also illegal in many jurisdictions.
Seriously? I understand that backing out could be considered unlawful if one does not pay attention to moving traffic, but backing in? That does not make sense, especially when it comes to parallel parking.

You must have ran out of things to legislate then. :p

Backing in IMO is the best way to park, also for people who are not that good at driving like me it gives an extra layer of security. If you backed in you can drive out. Some companies I've gone to actually require you to back in, the logic being in case of emergency you can leave in a faster and more orderly way.

Also a combination of Rain, Driver stupidity and Balding Tires caused this yesterday:

I was driving along when some fine example of a human being in a Corolla All-Trac Decided instead of queuing he'd just go over to the front of the line. I braked on time, the Guy in the taxi behind me didn't.

This must be the only time lack of insurance worked alright, we both got out , discussed the situation in a civil manner, and after some time the cab owner decided to pay the damage to the bumper of the Tercel we got an estimate with my trusted Body shop, he paid and we'll mend it when we paint the car (getting as delayed as a Gran Turismo release).

I almost felt sorry for the cab driver, he got the short end of the stick

Say whatever you want about Park bench bumpers, they did a damn good Job in this case.

Last edited:
Seriously? I understand that backing out could be considered unlawful if one does not pay attention to moving traffic, but backing in? That does not make sense, especially when it comes to parallel parking.

Seriously. http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1021730

It's not for parallel parking, but perpendicular parking. For parallel parking, you must park with your vehicle pointed in the normal direction of travel for the side of the street you park on. You can't park "backwards" or with your nose facing into traffic.

That said, I mostly don't have to give a crap about it.
IMG_4608.JPG
{/ialwaysgetbetterparkingthanyouhahahahah:evil:}

Last edited:
I saw a silver Alfa Romeo GTV Spider yesterday. I was stopped at an intersection and it was going the other way and made a right turn at the intersection. A little weird seeing one in Canada. Kinda cool looking though.

Alfa_Romeo_GTV_y_Spider_2004_634_10.jpg

That is one rule that I break almost regularly. I just prefer backing in and believe it is more efficient (personal choice though). I really can't see the justification for it being illegal. For the parallel parking case, I can definitely see why. With backing in...no.

... there are people who are afraid of the exhaust particles ruining their walls or something like that. if you back into a parking spot that ends in a wall, said wall COULD get slightly dirty when you floor your way out of there :| it's stupid, but that's the only thing i can think of...

walk around your car :| alright, if you've done a load of shopping, i admit being able to reach the boot with the shopping trolley would be an advantage.

^ Did you see how far back the Kangoo's boot opens? It's actually something we have to think of :p

And the only place I've ever seen this forwards only parking is a nicely worded sign in a private carpark round the back of a building on campus. There is because you are literally backing on to 2 floors of windows that are always open. And it's not a forces thing.
Having it in the angled spaces in that thread Spectre piste makes sense, but in my mind if they're angled like that then you'd be mentally retarded to try and back in, so the legislation isn't needed. And everywhere else it doesn't matter. If I'm in a rush I will swing it in forwards, of not I'll back in.

dafuq? Backing in is the only legal way here, because backing out on to a higher priority road (which also includes out of a parking space onto the road or a parking lot pathway) is the illegal bit, since you're at best going to cause people to wait for you as you carefully and blindly make your way out.

That's a fucking stupid rule...

There are spots around here indicated as head in only parking, conversely some are back in only :p But I couldn't find anything that would state that you have to head in/back in if not posted.

This thread mentions that there was a specific sign, I am not aware of any kind of legislation that would govern head in vs back in parking for an entire municipality.

Last edited:
Congrats! :thumbsup:

Whats the story behind it?

Last edited:
As said before, I no longer need the diesel due to work circumstances changing. I will be doing most of my commute by train, and I just need a car to get me to the station and back. So I decided on an E36 328i, and came across one for merely ?1500, advertised for 2500. Gave it a test drive and bought it, because it's that good. Pictures and thread will follow after picking it up.

Yay, another one for the straight six-gang. :) I think next year half of the camping lot will be filled with BMWs powered by 6 (or 12) cylinders...

A few pictures from the ad:
0009032156.jpg

0009032156_.jpg

0009032156__.jpg

It's black with a yellow leather interior, which looks better in person than it does in the photos. And it's loaded with gadgets. And of course the creamy smooth 2.8l straight six.