Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Took a little trip yesterday. It took me a while to get the GoPro configured the way I wanted so the first part of the trail is missing from the video. This is a section of the Pony Express Trail from central Utah to Nevada. I started filming at a hill we call "poser rock" near the Pet Cemetery and end in Wendover, NV.

This was my first time filming with the GoPro and I set it to take one photo every 0:30. I didn't even make a dent in the memory, despite over 700 images, so I think next time I will set it to every 0:05 or every 0:10 to slow down the action a bit.

snip

Nice video, I've always liked that run. Last time I did it in the Blazer I went the other direction though, took Old US-6 from Delta out to the Ut/Nv border road, then that up to Callao, and back on the Pony Express. It's been a few years since I did that, but it was about this same time of year too, it was a nice drive.

I agree that 1 pic every 30 seconds is a bit long between pics. 5 or 10 is much better, and 2 is just too many pics.
I made this video with the GoPro taking a pic every 2 seconds, and ended up with over 6,000 pics for a 3.5 hour drive. The video did turn out nice though:
[video=youtube;BUQiNg-1Fnc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUQiNg-1Fnc[/video]

Last edited:
My saab is in the garage, for its service and MOT. As the nearest Saab garage is 100 miles away in Glasgow, I have a courtesy car for the week. It's the best car for carrying a double bass I've ever had:

xltRCLI.jpg

We just had a bit of uncontrolled and undesired fire in the Volcano.

Shit. Everything okay?

Yeah. We finally got Der Stig's GS850G to fire up and run by itself on all four. Upon shutting it down, it backfired and then fire started spewing out from underneath it. It quickly spread to the entire center section with quite a lot of fire spewing everywhere, but we were able to fight it and put it out in a few minutes.

Sadly, the GS850G was only blackened (plus is now covered in fire retardant) and does not appear to have suffered any damage. Happily, while my 700 was close to the 850, neither it nor anything else in the shop was damaged. I'm a bit singed (clothing) but T-shirts are cheap.

Last edited:
:blink:

That must have been scary. Any regrets naming it "the volcano"? :D

Ouch, glad to hear that mostly everything (more importantly everyone) is alright.

Glad you're both OK and the damage is minimal. I would honestly expect that if anything would cause a fire in your place it would be the Lucas Electrics. :p

No pun intended? If you dont set your garage on fire you are not doing it right, glad everyone is fine and no big cats were hurt in the production :)

Yeah I haven't had a garage/shop fire in about ten years. Probably about due for one now.

Glad you're both OK and the damage is minimal. I would honestly expect that if anything would cause a fire in your place it would be the Lucas Electrics. :p

Yup, you'd think so, but the first roaring inferno I got in this shop was a Suzuki with serious issues - go figure.

No pun intended? If you dont set your garage on fire you are not doing it right, glad everyone is fine and no big cats were hurt in the production :)

I got the distinct impression that somehow both of the Jags were just laughing at the Suzuki. :p Something like, "Ha, amateur!"

tyquhyru.jpg

for this

ysybesuh.jpg

why?

tyquhyru.jpg

for this

ysybesuh.jpg

why?

Golf clubs. That's what I overheard when I was sitting at my local dealer waiting to be picked up. Salesmen were having a meeting and the first answer out of someone when the head guy asked about that storage compartment and it's uses.

If I can't stick my Milwaukee Sawzall inside in it's storage box, it's not useful.

I just don't understand how you could fit an American child in there. I agree that the box is useless, I have no idea why our shop manager ordered them that way. (We have two of them)

I know for a fact rifles and unboxed power tools like Sawzalls do actually fit in the things. So do sets of hand tools, etc., etc.

If you're referring to the latch to open it from the inside, its required by some law that basically says that any enclosed space bigger than a breadbox has to be able to be opened from the inside.

Yeah my Miata's trunk has one as well. I don't think anyone even a child could fit in there.