Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

If they were to add option/package info to the VIN, it would take up the whole base of the dashboard. And the VIN has to have 17 characters, per NHTSA regulations.

Now a lot of cars have/used to have body/trim tags, which were mounted on the firewall and gave info as to what options were on the car, but not every manufacturer uses those and there's no standardization. Plus, car dealers *have* to list the VIN, it's required by law.

There was a website that would decode a Mercedes VIN and tell you what options the car had, what color it was originally, and where it was sold, but I have absolutely no idea how it worked. It was 100% accurate too.

There was a website that would decode a Mercedes VIN and tell you what options the car had, what color it was originally, and where it was sold, but I have absolutely no idea how it worked. It was 100% accurate too.

Runs off a database. The VIN doesn't list the options - but you can look up the VIN in the database, and the database lists the original configuration. Kind of like Dell Service Tag numbers; can't tell what it came with from the tag, but if you give the number to Dell, they can look it up and see what the as-shipped config was.

- - - Updated - - -

Do they list the VIN? Surely you could get options info out of that, right?

As noted above, you can't get the info directly out of the VIN. You can, however, with the correct permissions and accounts, log into a Ford database and look up what it shipped with.

More to the point, you can actually look at the window sticker for recent Ford vehicles. Here's the one for that car: http://services.forddirect.fordvehicles.com/inventory/WindowSticker.pdf?vin=1ZVBP8CF0D5241386

Per its sticker, it's a GT Premium with GHIG exterior, Charcoal Black interior with machined turned accents and leather. It has the stock rear spoiler delete, tape stripes delete, 3.55 axle installed, comfort package with heated seats and mirrors, 19" wheels, and accessory package 4, including the pedestal rear spoiler. Bit of an odd loadout.

Last edited:
Well my VIN lists my Fiesta as a '3-Door Van', so I don't think much of them. :lol:
My hatch vin indicates it's a real dohc model and not just a swapped one. The latter is less valuable ofc. I also remember it by heart and what the digits stand for. Scary? :D

Well if you're getting the pedestal spoiler, you have to get the rear spoiler delete; otherwise the pedestal spoiler wouldn't fit.

Seems like a standard GT Premium with the heated seats and wheels like on CrazyRussian540's car.

Well if you're getting the pedestal spoiler, you have to get the rear spoiler delete; otherwise the pedestal spoiler wouldn't fit.

Seems like a standard GT Premium with the heated seats and wheels like on CrazyRussian540's car.

Yeah, but I think it's a bit odd to see that they only added the heated seats/mirrors, wheels and spoiler. Usually stealerships like stacking up options on the GT Premiums.

Well, it's a $35K car before you start adding any options. Maybe the dealership figured they wouldn't add too many packages or it would price the car out of their market.

Hell, my car only had two options - the 3.73 Rear Axle Package, which includes a more laid-back traction control invention and larger front brake pads, in addition to the shorter rear end - and the polished 10 spoke alloy wheels. That's it.

At most dealers (not just around here, but in many other states) they either have the GT Premium with no options at all or they've gone down and checked most if not all of the options boxes with little to nothing in between. If this dealer chose to do otherwise, they're certainly unusual.

Also, that blue one in Richardson that you posted earlier is in nice shape, the shortshift kit is a good one and it goes sideways very well. :D Test drove it a couple days ago when I saw it on the lot on my way to get some parts for the 350 - unfortunately, they were the only dealer in Dallas that had the parts but the test drive made up for it.

Last edited:
No, the only information you can get out of the VIN is body style, model and engine. Options and package information doesn't go on the VIN.

not entirely true:
looks like a base-ish gt premium

Edit! (now that Spectre's tipped the window sticker already)

CR540 did get lucky with his being on the lot, and has recaros, not available with the heater function iirc.

Last edited:
At most dealers (not just around here, but in many other states) they either have the GT Premium with no options at all or they've gone down and checked most if not all of the options boxes with little to nothing in between. If this dealer chose to do otherwise, they're certainly unusual.

Also, that blue one in Richardson that you posted earlier is in nice shape, the shortshift kit is a good one and it goes sideways very well. :D Test drove it a couple days ago when I saw it on the lot on my way to get some parts for the 350 - unfortunately, they were the only dealer in Dallas that had the parts but the test drive made up for it.
Maybe it was a custom order that the customer decided he didn't want?

It's a long standing tradition for me to not pay for parking, mostly because I never have coins on me. My town has offered a smartphone payment system for some years now but for some reason I've never gotten around to it, until now. These things have been around for years so it's probably old news to lots of people, but I'm just starting to use it now and I like it a lot. Usually I'm the first guy to try new stuff, particularly when it involves a smartphone and making life easier, but it took me a while to try this.

Basically, you make an account with the provider (in the case of my town, Sweden-based EasyPark) and enter your credit card details. A few days later, you receive a sticker in the mail. This is supposed to go on your windshield, to tell the traffic terroristwarden that you're an EasyPark user. The warden has a handheld device where he/she can run your plate and check if you paid or not.

You just park your car, pull your phone out, fire up the app, have it locate you and present you with a list of nearby "zones". Earlier today I was parking on the street outside a kebab shop and had to choose from two zones: the actual street I was on and the privately owned parking next to it. If you're unsure, just locate the nearest parking meter because it'll have a sign on it with the zone number. If the place is easypark enabled, anyways. Which it usually is, in my town.

EasyPark is obviously more expensive than actually paying with coins, but you never overpay since you can cancel your parking when you return to the car. You can also buy more time if you realize you're going to be late.

Last edited:
It's a long standing tradition for me to not pay for parking, mostly because I never have coins on me. My town has offered a smartphone payment system for some years now but for some reason I've never gotten around to it, until now. These things have been around for years so it's probably old news to lots of people, but I'm just starting to use it now and I like it a lot. Usually I'm the first guy to try new stuff, particularly when it involves a smartphone and making life easier, but it took me a while to try this.

Basically, you make an account with the provider (in the case of my town, Sweden-based EasyPark) and enter your credit card details. A few days later, you receive a sticker in the mail. This is supposed to go on your windshield, to tell the traffic terroristwarden that you're an EasyPark user. The warden has a handheld device where he/she can run your plate and check if you paid or not.

You just park your car, pull your phone out, fire up the app, have it locate you and present you with a list of nearby "zones". Earlier today I was parking on the street outside a kebab shop and had to choose from two zones: the actual street I was on and the privately owned parking next to it. If you're unsure, just locate the nearest parking meter because it'll have a sign on it with the zone number. If the place is easypark enabled, anyways. Which it usually is, in my town.

EasyPark is obviously more expensive than actually paying with coins, but you never overpay since you can cancel your parking when you return to the car. You can also buy more time if you realize you're going to be late.
[/URL]

Thats a pretty neat system, but we have an even easier way. Since not everyone here already has a smartphone, you just send a text message containing your licence plate and a code where you park to a number. You do the same when you leave, and the couple of ? its costs goes out of your phone bill.

Real easy, especially for older people (but they still pay with change anyway)

Thats a pretty neat system, but we have an even easier way. Since not everyone here already has a smartphone, you just send a text message containing your licence plate and a code where you park to a number. You do the same when you leave, and the couple of ? its costs goes out of your phone bill.

Real easy, especially for older people (but they still pay with change anyway)
Yeah, I think you can do SMS payments as well. But lots of people get their cell phone paid for by their employer. Some have a personal phone as well, but most people don't bother. Including both my parents and a whole bunch of my friends.

Of course, you can just let your employer pay for your parking (and vending machine purchases, and car washes, and and and...) but I'm too honest to do shit like that. So I like how Easypark is a smartphone app that bills your card directly.

We just have meters that print out a piece of paper that you put under the windshield, they take coins and credit cards. Not quite as neat as smartphone app but no coins necessary.

It's pretty much the same here - except right on Main Street and around the State House, that is.