Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

On a completely unrelated note I want need a Skoda Superb Estate in my life. The value for money is already insane on a barebones one, and now they're giving you free satnav and sunroof to boot.

I know. But I'd like a VR6 model with DSG and the full-size moonroof, that means going for the top L&K trim level. But a vRS by any other name...

Why isn't everyone in Superbs or Leons?

I'm with you, its value is fantastic. I personally think the finish of the cabin is better in the Audi though. They just do it right in every model.
Also, you get punchy supercharged 3 liter engines aswell as big turbodiesels in an A6, something that isn't available for the Skoda. :)

But don't forget - not everybody buys their car rationally. And at the end of the day, apparantley an office worker with an Audi can feel worth more than someone who drives a Skoda because it's just a Skoda... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
On a completely unrelated note I want need a Skoda Superb Estate in my life. The value for money is already insane on a barebones one, and now they're giving you free satnav and sunroof to boot.

It also looks nice nowadays with the right wheels, and they even have some decent non boring (grey black or beige) colours
45776_2010_skoda_superb_estate_02-4b77aa0f0a178-mc:819x819.jpg

I'd totally rock one of those 2.0 TDI 4x4 DSG ones, but probably would just as much enjoy the basic 1.6 manual. I have no use for all of the space but still...
It's basically an Audi A6 with all the toys (since at Skoda everything is free), for Passat money.

:thumbsup:

That being said, you do *not* want the 1.6TDI in a Superb. It's okay in a Mk7 Golf, that's light enough... but a Superb needs at least the 103kW 2.0TDI. Just as frugal as well.
As for the A6 comparison, while the Superb is a teeny bit smaller on the outside, you do get 12% more luggage space (rear seats up) and noticeably more legroom in the rear. Not being designed to cope with the 560hp V8 in the RS6 does wonders for passenger and cargo space.

Combined with the DSG a Superb is a wonderful long-distance rental car... I wouldn't want to own one though, see the Parked like an Idiot thread for reasons :mad:

I know. But I'd like a VR6 model with DSG and the full-size moonroof, that means going for the top L&K trim level. But a vRS by any other name...

Eh wha? You can get the VR6 DSG with the Ambition or Elegance trims as well, and tick the panoramic sunroof if you like... up to 5.5k? less if you don't start re-ticking options that are included in L&K of course.

Edit: A relevant shot I took after the rental lady dared to ask "Mondeo or Superb?" :lol: the driver's seat is adjusted for tallish me.

Last edited:
- The Superb has very little in common with any Audi bigger than the A3. It's a transverse FWD drivetrain with optional haldex AWD, just like on the Golfs and all the stablemates.
- That's a pre-facelift car. They gave it a facelift this year. I was never a fan of the frumpy nose on the original one.

Aside from that Audi is much nicer looking.

- - - Updated - - -

But don't forget - not everybody buys their car rationally. And at the end of the day, apparantley an office worker with an Audi can feel worth more than someone who drives a Skoda because it's just a Skoda... :rolleyes:
To me cars are all about how they make me feel, for example I don't like Infiniti G3x/Q50/60 despite them being essentially same as my car in most ways and nicer to daily but everytime I see one/get in one I just feel bored.

Eh wha? You can get the VR6 DSG with the Ambition or Elegance trims as well, and tick the panoramic sunroof if you like... up to 5.5k? less if you don't start re-ticking options that are included in L&K of course.

only on Elegance and L&K here. And really, you might aswell go all the way if you intend to keep a car for a long time.

So, on the way to return the BMW to Der Stig's place, this happened.

WN1Lba2.jpg

Code reads out as a potentially expensive emissions control system failure.

We're at the Ford dealership now. A Fiesta ST test drive is about to happen, followed by an F-150 STX and then a Genesis Sedan 3.8L test drive will occur at the neighboring Hyundai dealer.

Last edited:
A guy in Minnesota bought this:
10631280_10154582502275577_4112724677794603590_o.jpg

Can't wait to see it at the next Cars & Coffee.

Seriously? It's a McLaren P1

I'm back with the same argument : Golf e not available there? 100+ miles range and charges from any socket.

that is absolutely valid, and was my first suggestion when they said "likely Focus, Leaf or 500e."

We're at the Ford dealership now. A Fiesta ST test drive is about to happen, followed by an F-150 STX and then a Genesis Sedan 3.8L test drive will occur at the neighboring Hyundai dealer.

That...sounds like quite the difference in cars to choose from. And my coworkers looked at me funny for considering the Cherokee and Suburban in the same sentence.

That...sounds like quite the difference in cars to choose from. And my coworkers looked at me funny for considering the Cherokee and Suburban in the same sentence.

He's not cross shopping, he already had a list of candidates in each market niche. He is test driving those now.

He's already eliminated the Fiesta. Too buzzy, too boy racer and not suitable as a highway trip car. He really likes the Genesis.

The fact that the Genesis he was looking at is only $1K more than the Fiesta does not help the Fiesta's case.

Last edited:
He's not cross shopping, he already had a list of candidates in each market niche. He is test driving those now.

He's already eliminated the Fiesta.

I'm pulling for the Genesis Sedan. I would have left the dealer with one of those, if I could have justified the size.

I'm pulling for the Genesis Sedan. I would have left the dealer with one of those, if I could have justified the size.

Post updated.

Yeah, the Genesis really is the best value for money in sedans at the moment.

He's already eliminated the Fiesta. Too buzzy, too boy racer and not suitable as a highway trip car. He really likes the Genesis.

The fact that the Genesis he was looking at is only $1K more than the Fiesta does not help the Fiesta's case.
I've never driven the ST, but I found the Fiesta to be very cramped and I could barely see out of it. Is the Focus any better?

it'll be the Genesis. Because the Genesis is awesome!

Some thoughts:

- The Superb is indeed spacious inside. Or as I like to say: the only reasonably priced euro car with a back seat made for actual humans. It's either a Superb or a LWB S class or something.
- You have a family, how on earth do you not "need" space? And how do you survive in that C1 is beyond me, seeing as parents around here need everything and the kitchen sink with them when they go for a day trip. The stash of diapers and baby wipes alone would probably fill an entire C1. :lol:
- The Superb has very little in common with any Audi bigger than the A3. It's a transverse FWD drivetrain with optional haldex AWD, just like on the Golfs and all the stablemates.
- That's a pre-facelift car. They gave it a facelift this year. I was never a fan of the frumpy nose on the original one.

I manage fine in the C1 because I plan ahead and mostly because I'm nearly always alone in it. It serves purely as a 'get you to work and back as cheaply as possible' car, with suitable luxuries and comfort of course. For bigger trips or moving stuff like bicycles there's always the wife's Picasso which despite being 7 years old, has hardly any miles (nearing 60 k kms) so it's still got ages of life left in it.
Also people are idiots and are always buying much bigger/more expensive cars than they need because then the neighbours think we're rich. I have a coworker with 1 kid (I have 2) with roughly the same commute as I do. Her husband owns a car dealership so she pretty much can choose any car she likes. She drives an A6 Avant Stronic 2.0 tdi with all the toys (+ baby seat)... does not compute

The facelift one is even prettier!
I know it has nothing in common with the A6 other than overall size

Must be market specific, you can combine pretty much everything (1.6 tdi manual with every toy imaginable or huge engine + dsg and cloth seats? Either is possible)

I'm with you, its value is fantastic. I personally think the finish of the cabin is better in the Audi though. They just do it right in every model.
Also, you get punchy supercharged 3 liter engines aswell as big turbodiesels in an A6, something that isn't available for the Skoda. :)

Supercharged 3 liter engines are brilliant, but over here nobody buys them. The bigger the car, the bigger the chance it's a diesel...

:thumbsup:

That being said, you do *not* want the 1.6TDI in a Superb. It's okay in a Mk7 Golf, that's light enough... but a Superb needs at least the 103kW 2.0TDI. Just as frugal as well.
As for the A6 comparison, while the Superb is a teeny bit smaller on the outside, you do get 12% more luggage space (rear seats up) and noticeably more legroom in the rear. Not being designed to cope with the 560hp V8 in the RS6 does wonders for passenger and cargo space.

Combined with the DSG a Superb is a wonderful long-distance rental car... I wouldn't want to own one though, see the Parked like an Idiot thread for reasons :mad:

Edit: A relevant shot I took after the rental lady dared to ask "Mondeo or Superb?" :lol: the driver's seat is adjusted for tallish me.

Ive not driven a Superb so I can't comment but the 1.6 is already wheezy in a Sportvan. Having said that, even with the wrong engine, the value for money is still ridiculous.

Aside from that Audi is much nicer looking.

- - - Updated - - -

To me cars are all about how they make me feel, for example I don't like Infiniti G3x/Q50/60 despite them being essentially same as my car in most ways and nicer to daily but everytime I see one/get in one I just feel bored.

Of course the Audi is better looking. Just not 15k? better looking. And I totally understand what you mean about making you feel. If I'd have a Superb I'd openly laugh at every A6 driver, knowing that I have roughly the same car/engine for a whole lot less. And that would make me feel good :p

I've never driven the ST, but I found the Fiesta to be very cramped and I could barely see out of it. Is the Focus any better?

DS commented that he thought the visibility was fine during the test drive. We didn't do a Focus because nobody around here has a Focus ST to test.

it'll be the Genesis. Because the Genesis is awesome!

That's where my head is at right now. Although I am tempted by some trucks, I just can't imagine financing one. I'd rather just get a beater.

DS commented that he thought the visibility was fine during the test drive. We didn't do a Focus because nobody around here has a Focus ST to test.

Yeah, wish I could have driven a Focus ST, but no one has them. The Fiesta while fun and relatively nice, just isn't what I'm looking for. I already have my rocket, now I need luxobarge or truck :D

Spectre observed that he and I have been spoiled too much by nice stuff in the GT class to go back to an econobox. And it's true :lol: