Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

There are some dealers around here who have service departments open till midnight.

- - - Updated - - -

You know what I never got, diesel luxury cars. You are paying 50 grand for a car but you can't afford fuel?

It's not about not being able to afford fuel. Bucketloads of torque, a range of 1000++km per tank etc etc are all nice qualities to have in a car at any price.

It wouldn't cross my mind to buy something like a 5 series with spark plugs. At any price. Simply because the diesels are nicer.

Last edited:
What? Thats the busiest day. :blink:

It's the same in most states. The original religious motivations for such laws aside, it's a good thing because otherwise dealerships would work those poor salesdroids long hours 7 days a week. Ask Der Stig how his life was when he worked for that local dealership.

Not in Wisconsin, it isn't. :p

it did start with religious intentions. Most states have some Sunday restrictions.. For example, some states cant sell alcohol on Sunday.

In Wisconsin, in regards to the dealerships being closed, it's also taking on a sort of "consumer protection" veil, as well; people can stroll the lots without being pressured by sales people. Although, I never felt right wandering around an unattended car lot, especially since most had locked gates at their driveway.

Yeah, car dealers should operate like pizzerias. Closed on Monday, open on Sunday. Here they tend to close early on Sundays (like 13-14).

Yeah, car dealers should operate like pizzerias. Closed on Monday, open on Sunday. Here they tend to close early on Sundays (like 13-14).

By tradition US motorcycle dealers/shops are closed both Sunday and Monday, whether the state law says they have to be or not. Usually close an hour or two early on Saturday, too. From what I've read, this has been the case in the US since shortly after motorcycles became available for sale here.

Last edited:
By tradition US motorcycle dealers/shops are closed both Sunday and Monday, whether the state law says they have to be or not. Usually close an hour or two early on Saturday, too. From what I've read, this has been the case in the US since shortly after motorcycles became available for sale here.

Not so much here. THey seem to be closed on Sundays and open the rest of the week, though closing early on Saturdays.

In response to a luxo barge diesel,

I want/ed that Jag that Clarkson ran in the milage challenge to Blackpool a few years ago, but it is not sold here in the form of a diesel. I would love to be able to go to the U.P. more often, but the fuel costs these days hinder that want.

Do The lawyers from Mercedes also made sure you can't import a non-compliant engine by your own?

I can see people fitting...say....a new Audi 3.0 TFSDI or whatever in an old 80 or something.

Maybe they can afford a 50-grand car because they live a lifestyle of choices like buying a diesel, that allows them some luxury where it matters to them.
It's not about not being able to afford fuel. Bucketloads of torque, a range of 1000++km per tank etc etc are all nice qualities to have in a car at any price.

It wouldn't cross my mind to buy something like a 5 series with spark plugs. At any price. Simply because the diesels are nicer.
A diesel is not luxurious, it's simply not, it won't sound nice, it won't rev like gasoline engines and it will never feel the same. B/C had a very good point about the V8 vs V6T in the Audis, sure the power/torque is comparable but the V8 feels better. I wouldn't want my luxo barge to sound and feel like a tractor trailer personally.
This has nothing to do with saving where you can and driving a status symbol. Most of these cars are company cars anyway, and a company saves everywhere they can.
Fleet cars are fleet cars they don't really count ;)
Yeah I meant more like same class/size.
It's not about utility at all (I have no use for such a car, yet lust after it). It's the sheer ridiculousness of bang for your buck you're getting.
Properly specced VW Passat or fully loaded Superb with leather for the same monies? I can't see why one would go for the former.
I'll give you VW on this one, IMO there is no point in getting one if there is a comparable Skoda for less money as they really are basically the same car.
Considering we have large numbers of people here that buy luxury cars and then complain about the expense of having to run them on premium instead of regular... If diesel were cheaper than gasoline in the US, we'd have more people buying them, too. Not a majority of the market, but at least significantly more.
Those people need to STFU :p Though I do know what you mean, someone called my mechanic when I was there asking for a quote on an oil change for a 750, he was very unhappy with the quote (IIRC it was 130ish) but then it's like dude you are driving essentially the top of the line BMW really???
A Superb is not only about utility it's utterly sublime to drive on the Autobahn for hours.
So is my Outback but I'd rather drive the Z ;)

- - - Updated - - -

In Wisconsin, car dealers have to be closed on Sundays, by law.

And this is why fuck Midwest

- - - Updated - - -

Everything should be 24/7, I don't like having to fit shit into my schedule somehow /spoiled new yorker

- - - Updated - - -

In response to a luxo barge diesel,

I want/ed that Jag that Clarkson ran in the milage challenge to Blackpool a few years ago, but it is not sold here in the form of a diesel. I would love to be able to go to the U.P. more often, but the fuel costs these days hinder that want.
Is diseasel cheaper than gas in MI? Diesel is the most expensive type of fuel here, premium is actually cheaper.

- - - Updated - - -

Do The lawyers from Mercedes also made sure you can't import a non-compliant engine by your own?

I can see people fitting...say....a new Audi 3.0 TFSDI or whatever in an old 80 or something.

IIRC you can import motors however you want as they are parts, plenty of people I know run SR20DETs as well as RBxx motors in their cars.

Diesel is about 10% cheaper here, is not taxed extra, like in some EU countries and cars end up being cheaper to by too.

Why is it important for the average motorist for their luxury car to rev high? That sounds like the opposite of a luxurious experience. Don't get me wrong, a diesel Ferrari would be retarded. But a diesel large sedan makes some sense.

You can import the engine as parts, but it is a Federal crime to install a diesel engine in a gasoline car if the car was not approved for sale here with a diesel.

So, you can convert a W126 380SE to use the current Merc BlueTec diesel since the W126 was approved with a diesel motor back when. But since the Audi 80 was never approved for sale here with a diesel, you can only ever do gasoline engine swaps, legally.

Guess who was responsible for this.

Why is it important for the average motorist for their luxury car to rev high? That sounds like the opposite of a luxurious experience. Don't get me wrong, a diesel Ferrari would be retarded. But a diesel large sedan makes some sense.
Most people I know who enjoy luxury cars also enjoy revving them, I am talking about those who drive themselves ofcourse.

While I can't be certain, I can't help but feel like the people you know aren't typical of the primary customers of those cars...but perhaps I'm off base in my presumptions, as well.

While I can't be certain, I can't help but feel like the people you know aren't typical of the primary customers of those cars...but perhaps I'm off base in my presumptions, as well.

You are probably right lol, though I doubt many people would want their luxury car to sound like a truck, they typically want it to run silently, which is why I see Model Ss every frigging where.

Personally, in the admittedly small sample size I've driven, I prefer driving a diesel. There's more immediate response to throttle (aka torque), plus you don't have to fill up nearly as often, which I like if only out of laziness/convenience. And with proper soundproofing, you'll never notice the noise. Modern diesels are pretty quiet anyways.

The are called "Blue Laws" and restrict certain business actions during certain days or hours.

Here's what we have in Missouri (scroll around for more info on other states, etc.): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_laws_in_the_United_States#Missouri

I remember talking with one of racers about blue laws in Arkansas when he was a manager of a Walmart store in the 1970s. Something about they could sell toothpaste, toilet paper and other necessities, but not clothing or sporting goods. They had to put barricades around items that couldn't be sold.