Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

You can import the engine as parts, but it is a Federal crime to install a diesel engine in a gasoline car if the car was not approved for sale here with a diesel.

So, you can convert a W126 380SE to use the current Merc BlueTec diesel since the W126 was approved with a diesel motor back when. But since the Audi 80 was never approved for sale here with a diesel, you can only ever do gasoline engine swaps, legally.

Guess who was responsible for this.

blackadder-headdesk-o.gif

And of course everytime someone tries a petition or something nowadays, every two years or so actually, you realize just how tiny the number of people who actually give a crap are.

Personally, in the admittedly small sample size I've driven, I prefer driving a diesel. There's more immediate response to throttle (aka torque), plus you don't have to fill up nearly as often, which I like if only out of laziness/convenience. And with proper soundproofing, you'll never notice the noise. Modern diesels are pretty quiet anyways.

Or not

I have no problem with that "tractor."

Besides, an A7 is not "just" a luxury car...isn't it considered one of the sportier options which would expect a louder exhaust?

Since when is Arizona cramped on space????

In general, it isn't. But the parking spaces at the university are miniscule, and my garage is fairly tight as well... Because, in the suburbs, a "two car garage" is interpreted creatively, in both width and depth. For reference, the Subaru had about 6 inches of clearance front, 3 inches rear, and about 12 on either side.

Last edited:
I'm agreeing with Emarline. All the TDIs running around Pittsburgh aren't really noticeable as diesels unless they're accelerating hard, when a gas engine would be screaming anyways. On the highways, at any steady speed, and from the inside, they're pretty quiet.

And of course everytime someone tries a petition or something nowadays, every two years or so actually, you realize just how tiny the number of people who actually give a crap are.

There would be a few more if the enthusiast circles themselves weren't so divided. Every time it comes up, there is inevitably a sizable number of people who flat out refuse to sign the petition because they claim it doesn't matter and nothing's going to change. It's the same logic as people who don't vote because they say it doesn't make a difference. Individually, sure. Collectively, it matters. The last petition I saw reached more than 50,000 signatures. If the people who refused to sign had bothered, it may have actually reached the 100,000 signature threshold needed to be officially ignored by the Administration.

There would be a few more if the enthusiast circles themselves weren't so divided. Every time it comes up, there is inevitably a sizable number of people who flat out refuse to sign the petition because they claim it doesn't matter and nothing's going to change. It's the same logic as people who don't vote because they say it doesn't make a difference. Individually, sure. Collectively, it matters. The last petition I saw reached more than 50,000 signatures. If the people who refused to sign had bothered, it may have actually reached the 100,000 signature threshold needed to be officially ignored by the Administration.

And like people who don't vote, it's an absolutely unproductive, if not idiotic, stance that serves only so that those who do it may rejoice in their own farts when it fails...not being our resident fart expert...that'd be coco; I don't know if that's what they do to celebrate, but still. This last petition got into 64k. so at least we know interest is growing. But with things the way they are, not to mention that everyone in the congress is being as milquetoast as possible to keep getting juicy paychecks come next elections, the only way it can go through is hidden on some sure-to-pass law, and even then only if congress bothers to pass any laws.

Personally, in the admittedly small sample size I've driven, I prefer driving a diesel. There's more immediate response to throttle (aka torque), plus you don't have to fill up nearly as often, which I like if only out of laziness/convenience. And with proper soundproofing, you'll never notice the noise. Modern diesels are pretty quiet anyways.

Diesels run out of steam very quickly though and it all depends on how big the engine is in the first place, tiny engines are better as diesels hands down but once you start getting into more powerful stuff it's not quite as clear cut. Fill up frequency is also iffy, Spectre's dual tank gasoline Jag will need less fill ups than a Golf TDI because of the amount of fuel it can carry. Driving style, frequency, distance and type of driving all factor in as well. There are times when I fill my Z up twice a month and times when I have to fill it up after a day.

Also I'm assuming you talking about the Golf, not sure how it sounds inside but it sure sounds like shit outside.

I'm agreeing with Emarline. All the TDIs running around Pittsburgh aren't really noticeable as diesels unless they're accelerating hard, when a gas engine would be screaming anyways. On the highways, at any steady speed, and from the inside, they're pretty quiet.
See above that crap sounds like engine is about to die even idling at a light, I have done a double take before.

Last edited:
Rick, did you persuade a friend of yours in Dallas to buy a Mitsu Mirage? Because this is the first one I've seen without dealer tags.

LfSyagk.jpg

Fleet cars are fleet cars they don't really count ;)

I bet 95% of the cars like the A6 over here aren't privately sold, they are company cars. :dunno:
Creating a statistic which is better or cheaper will be very hard with those cars that have been sold to private people which don't lease the car, but pay in cash.

- - - Updated - - -

Besides, an A7 is not "just" a luxury car...isn't it considered one of the sportier options which would expect a louder exhaust?
I wouldn't really call it sporty, it's more like a 2+2 A6 Coupe, like the CLS is

- - - Updated - - -

That's what I meant with these things can sound like a V8. :nod:

Also I'm assuming you talking about the Golf, not sure how it sounds inside but it sure sounds like shit outside.

AFAIK she's talking about a pumpe-d?se 1.9 TDI and those do indeed sound like jackhammers. But I do hope you realize that's ~20 year old tech? They were also considered noisy even back then.

Drop the "diesel sounds like crap and is evil and invented by belsebub" bullshit already.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone buys a MKIV TDI Golf for what it sounds like on idle. A little-known fact is that actually here in Finland Golf sales took a nose dive when people realized they're better off buying 30-year-old Jaguars with dual tanks instead. True story.

Drop the "diesel sounds like crap and is evil and invented by belsebub" bullshit already.
I don't think they are evil, they do sound pretty terrible though. Either way I just don't see a point of spoiling something upscale with one.

I don't think they are evil, they do sound pretty terrible though. Either way I just don't see a point of spoiling something upscale with one.

When was the last time you drove something upscale with a diesel?

I don't think anyone buys a MKIV TDI Golf for what it sounds like on idle. A little-known fact is that actually here in Finland Golf sales took a nose dive when people realized they're better off buying 30-year-old Jaguars with dual tanks instead. True story.

:lol:
I can't "+rep"

That Audi posted a few posts ago sounded fine to me :dunno:

I drove my brother-in-law's Caddy today because the Eos was busy making that in-law bit final and yeah, that does sound like a tractor... but then it is very old tech without any refinement in a commercial vehicle. Get current tech and refinement and you'll get lovely diesels even below a 3L A7.

Note for the Americans: Caddy as in a Mk3 VW Caddy 2.0 TDI PD, not as in Cadillac :lol:

Last edited:
1979_Mercedes_300SD_116.120.jpg

300SD, North America only.

They sound pretty terrible, I've seen a few around, they also even LOOK like they are terrible to drive but it might be explain by it being a 79 lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Note for the Americans: Caddy as in a Mk3 VW Caddy 2.0 TDI PD, not as in Cadillac :lol:

Thank you for clarification, confused the fuck out of me.

All I'm saying is that I would prefer a nice powerful gasoline engine in a car like the A6/7 as opposed to a diesel no matter how good it is. Diesels are all torque which is great off the line but that's really about it. Now don't get me wrong if we are talking small engines like econobox then diesel would definitely win, it will feel a lot better than some astmatic 1.6l, but once you start getting to 300+hp levels....

The thing is ... come to Europe and choose between two A6s. You have a job that requires driving >50.000 kilometers per year.

One is a 3.0 supercharged petrol. HUGE fun, lots of power, but will make you cry once you open your pocket and you'll be a proper poor pig.
The other one is a 3.0 turbodiesel with modern technology in it. It will save you a couple of thousand per year.

Which one would you choose?

Saw a comparison and during a trip from London to Brighton those very two cars were pitted side by side with a spirited drive. The diesel managed 37 mpg (7.7l/100km) while the petrol did 23 mpg (12.3l/100km).