Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Yeah, it's definitely different scale for each year.

Most years roughly follow the scale at the top... from glancing over the chart, 1990 and 1993 Mustang and 1998 Camaro are wrong as well. For those years it's really confusing because unlike 2014 the two cars don't use the same scale in a single year :no:

Jesus Christ mainstream media, you just suck at the whole car reporting thing. Just stop....

ABC World News: "This is what one of those newly expanded recalled Takata airbags that can deploy with shrapnel can do to you tonight... These are in 1 in 3 cars on American roads this evening..."

They then show the end of a random youtube clip of a 1st gen Ford Escape having a standard bag deployment, this one in particular:

0HLWcpg.gif

NOTHING ABNORMAL HAPPENED YOU DOLTS!!! The Escape isn't even on the recall list for one.

Two, you just perpetuated the popular stereotype that properly functioning airbags should deploy slowly like soft pillows?! WHY!?!

ugh. Local news isn't any better, confounding "explodes with shrapnel" with "may randomly deploy without warning."

For fucks sake, research....it only takes literally seconds.

Last edited:

Hate to tell you, but it's not just *car* reporting they suck at. Whenever I see or read a mass media report on a subject I have knowledge of, I expect to see similarly cringeworthy 'kwalitee' reporting.

I am rarely disappointed.

Fine by me.

And then maybe the Falcon. And then maybe the Fiero, because that shared a CV joint ball-peen bearing o-ring lugnut part number with the Camaro. And then the Mercury Lynx, and the Mercury Bobcat, and the Acadian Beaumont Sport Deluxe (can't forget our Canadian amigos!). And then the Toyota Vitz. And then the Buick Sail. And then, and then, and then...

Mustang vs. Camaro, because the Firebird?like the Cougar?were sold as slightly upscale versions, with a slightly different buyer written on paper in some marketing department somewhere. Maybe get a bag of smelling salts and ask John Z. DeLorean. Oh wait, you can't.

Hate to tell you, but it's not just *car* reporting they suck at. Whenever I see or read a mass media report on a subject I have knowledge of, I expect to see similarly cringeworthy 'kwalitee' reporting.

I hate that everyone just accepts it with no further research of their own.

News agency's, I swear their goal is to instill fear without reason. I hate that.

I hate that everyone just accepts it with no further research of their own.

News agency's, I swear their goal is to instill fear without reason. I hate that.

While this is straying from cars, but the entire point of a news agency is so that I can be informed w/o having to do any research. Of course since all news here is commercialized fear mongering and sensationalism is what gets eyeballs.

And then maybe the Falcon. And then maybe the Fiero, because that shared a CV joint ball-peen bearing o-ring lugnut part number with the Camaro. And then the Mercury Lynx, and the Mercury Bobcat, and the Acadian Beaumont Sport Deluxe (can't forget our Canadian amigos!). And then the Toyota Vitz. And then the Buick Sail. And then, and then, and then...

Mustang vs. Camaro, because the Firebird?like the Cougar?were sold as slightly upscale versions, with a slightly different buyer written on paper in some marketing department somewhere. Maybe get a bag of smelling salts and ask John Z. DeLorean. Oh wait, you can't.

The Camaro and Firebird are the same car with a touch of body work differences. They share far more parts than are dissimilar, and the same goes for the Cougar and Mustang and Capri.

The thing I was getting at, it is always painted as Ford vs Chevy when it really should be looked at as Ford Motor Co vs. GM. When the sales numbers are looked at this way for similar products, it often changes what are painted as huge sales differences.

Just went to a talk by Gerald Meyers at the Ypsilanti Auto Heritage Museum. He was really interesting, quick minded and witty. Provided a really cool history of his time at AMC (including his attempts to make a rotary powered Pacer) as well as his opinion of the industry's present state.

And the collection (click for big pictures):

Last edited:
Damn, I wish I knew that was happening.

You mean to tell me that Cars got the color of the Hudson hornet wrong, are you kidding me? The amount of detail that went into that movie (rubber chunks on the track flying around) and they screwed up the color of a car?

Pretty much every time news talks about something I know about, they're wrong, so I just assume they're also wrong about subject I don't know about. :lol:

While this is straying from cars, but the entire point of a news agency is so that I can be informed w/o having to do any research. Of course since all news here is commercialized fear mongering and sensationalism is what gets eyeballs.

Sadly, this is a worldwide standard. :|

This is a bit weird, in GB we don't like hatchbacks with a saloon-arse grafted on. (Seems to be more of an Indian thing)
Anyway, the new Focus in GB is available as a hatch or as an estate. In Ireland it's available also as a crummy fake saloon.

media

Oh look! A rental car! A large amount of non hatch focus' are rentals in my area.

You mean to tell me that Cars got the color of the Hudson hornet wrong, are you kidding me? The amount of detail that went into that movie (rubber chunks on the track flying around) and they screwed up the color of a car?

Maybe Doc got resprayed to stay incognito?

Also

FloWfZV.jpg

With a phone number like that, how could you not? :lol:

Last edited:
This was a good day :)

This was a good day :)

So I had a good day... I was at a test drive event.

MAWCGIE.jpg
[/IMG]

The idea was, they have a selection of cars and bikes you can just take for a drive and see how you like them.

A few highlights:

Nissan Leaf: First electric car I've ever driven and I LIKE IT. The silence truly is bliss!

psDvLla.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

BMW I8, Sadly not available for a testdrive, only on display (the only one in Finland apparently)

NIssan Juke NIsmo: This thing is HILARIOUS!!

Funnily enough, the standard seat on the BMW 120 were too narrow for my fat ass, but these buckets felt sublime

Waiting for my turn to have a ride in a M3 driven by a professional racing driver:

About t be unlashed---

HOLY SWEET BALLS OF BABY JESUS THIS IS VIOLENTLY FAST

Biggest grin ride of the day:

nl_guts_hudsonhornet(1).jpg

So, which one is real?