Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Anything that's as old as the stuff capt70's is driving will have rust on it. Unless it's a Delorean, in which case it will have fiberglass rot.

Anything that's as old as the stuff capt70's is driving will have rust on it. Unless it's a Delorean, in which case it will have fiberglass rot stale cocaine in it.

Anything that's as old as the stuff capt70's is driving will have rust on it. Unless it's a Delorean, in which case it will have fiberglass rot.
The sad reality of the Scottish coast, one thing I will say is that BL tin lasts longer than Japanese, French and Italian metal of the same era. All the local Datsuns, Toyotas, Renaults and Fiats are long dead.

From what I can tell either the chassis leg has been patched at some point and no new drainage holes put in or they've been buried in the undersealfest that is the lower half of the car. The underseal has done a great job, once scraped off the metal under it is lovely, it's all rotting from the inside fucking out though. <_<

For what it's worth, Delorean frames are prone to rust, especially in sea-side areas.

Always wear eye protection! Probably saved my vision when I was doing my Mustang exhaust.

As for hair. Its terrible. Washing it later, the shampoo suds turned black.

Washing your hair with grease in it is fun! I love running my fingers through my long, luscious mane and feeling the clumps of dirt and oil in it rinse right out.

Getting brake fluid directly into your eye with a little "boop" is less fun, however.

The best is blowing your nose and see black crap come out.

The worst is watching a piece of rust fall into your eye and you blink. Ow that hurts.

I'm pretty sure my mailman has a theft fetish for car parts. This month I am 0/10 on USPS-delivered car part parcels.

It only affects USPS and only affects car parts, which prettymuch rules out the neighbors.

I have my stuff sent to a mail center - can't claim they delivered it and that someone else must have taken it when they didn't even make the delivery attempt. It's not uncommon for USPS drones to not want to deliver heavy packages. After all, they can't be fired so what do they care?

Last edited:
Can anyone here run free Carfax reports? I think the guy I usually bug for these things is finally getting tired of me.

I poked the rust... Never poke the rust...

20150522_183808%20Copy.jpg

You need to learn how to poke the rust. And those jack stands give me nightmares. I know your cars is not very heavy, but I will never use those to hold up a complete car again.

How does a stainless steel car have fiberglass rot? Is there a ton under the hood?

You need to learn how to poke the rust. And those jack stands give me nightmares. I know your cars is not very heavy, but I will never use those to hold up a complete car again.

How does a stainless steel car have fiberglass rot? Is there a ton under the hood?

I missed seeing those jack stands earlier - yeah, those are the scarily unreliable design. They have been known to fold up and collapse under the weight of a motorcycle, let alone a car.

The Delorean is built kind of like a Vette - body around a tub/spine that contains the driveline. Thing is, on a Delorean it's made of Fiberglas.

Last edited:
The whole car isnt stainless steel.

I understand that.

I missed seeing those jack stands earlier - yeah, those are the scarily unreliable design. They have been known to fold up and collapse under the weight of a motorcycle, let alone a car.

The Delorean is built kind of like a Vette - body around a tub/spine that contains the driveline. Thing is, on a Delorean it's made of Fiberglas.

I thought the center spine was galvanized steel. I am not sure about what the tub is, but I am sure that center is steel.

Changed out wheel bearing on dad's Honda. Again.

Sealed double ball bearing setup. I peeled it apart for shits and giggles because, why the hell not.
Inner bearing - Business as usual.
Outer bearing - No lubrication, just a brown metallic powder loosely packing the balls to a pair of greatly diminished races.

I thought the center spine was galvanized steel. I am not sure about what the tub is, but I am sure that center is steel.

Sorry, I used wrong term. It's the tub or 'underbody', not the spine, that's made of fiberglas:
DMC-suspension-and-structure.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Changed out wheel bearing on dad's Honda. Again.

Sealed double ball bearing setup. I peeled it apart for shits and giggles because, why the hell not.
Inner bearing - Business as usual.
Outer bearing - No lubrication, just a brown metallic powder loosely packing the balls to a pair of greatly diminished races.

Ah, sealed bearings that have been in too long. :p