Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Technically I didn't poke it first, the MOT tester poked it first, then I took it home and poked it all the way back to solid metal. Next will come sanding, then grinding and then welding...

I concur on Mazda 3 and their rust issues, there is one in the car park at work that has a fist sized hole in the front wing and the metal around it would probably give way in a stiff breeze. There are very few newish cars that can rival it for rusting I'm sure...

How old is the Mazda 3?

Random: The Genesis V6 can be made to sound really nice

Random: The Genesis V6 can be made to sound really nice

They sell those Lambda II RS V6s as crate engines now - and they have a turboed 750hp version they use to attack the Pike's Peak hillclimb.

All the recent Hyundai vee engines sound pretty good when uncorked.

Last edited:
Please, you guys don't know awesome sounding exhaust, the pipe on my Subaru separated right after the cat, now THAT sounds good lol.

Not to toot my own horn or anything, but......

Last edited:
I saw a Defender, but I didn't think it was a quite a Defender. :|

It reminded me of something from the Iranian/Korean/South America thread, I was close it was from Spain.

For-Sale-Santana-PS-10.jpg

Santana Defender

From what I can tell there should be no issue as Puerto Rico is part of the US. Of course it may vary by state. This is for PA:

NOTE: Guam, America Samoa, U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico are all governed as U.S. territories and vehicles
shipped from these U.S. territories do not need to follow the import procedures.

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms/fact_sheets/fs-ieve.pdf

So you could import...say...a BMW 220d to PR and then import it to the U.S...intriguing.

I saw a Defender, but I didn't think it was a quite a Defender. :|

It reminded me of something from the Iranian/Korean/South America thread, I was close it was from Spain.

For-Sale-Santana-PS-10.jpg

Santana Defender

Here's another not-quite-a-defender: Iveco Massif.

So, I may have figured out my car-less situation.

My mom called me up the other day. She and my dad plan to drive across the country in a Volkswagen CC and lend it to me.

Apparently, my dad's gonna be in China for half the year, and they don't need another car sitting around...it's a 2012, they bought it about two years ago, and it's just passed 40,000 miles. DSG, nice and sensible.

I tried to talk my mom out of it, maybe shipping the car or something, but they're using this as an excuse for an epic road trip...unfortunately, they don't have much time to see LA once they arrive, and they're flying back the next day. :blink: Looks like they're pretty adamant about it, too.

A nice, sensible car for nice, sensible me. (Still got my eye on a 944, though.)

Not to toot my own horn or anything, but......

Sigh... I'd go get a WOT pull recording if it wasn't pouring with rain.

So, I may have figured out my car-less situation.

My mom called me up the other day. She and my dad plan to drive across the country in a Volkswagen CC and lend it to me.

Apparently, my dad's gonna be in China for half the year, and they don't need another car sitting around...it's a 2012, they bought it about two years ago, and it's just passed 40,000 miles. DSG, nice and sensible.

I tried to talk my mom out of it, maybe shipping the car or something, but they're using this as an excuse for an epic road trip...unfortunately, they don't have much time to see LA once they arrive, and they're flying back the next day. :blink: Looks like they're pretty adamant about it, too.

A nice, sensible car for nice, sensible me. (Still got my eye on a 944, though.)

Well, sounds like it will all work out well in the end. Congrats!