Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

The problem with the Ranger and other compact trucks, even this Ranger or the new Colo-nyon twins, is that the value proposition just isn't there. Even leaving out the fleet special $9999 trucks at the end of the model year (those will start up later this month or early next), their prices are such that if you need them to do truck things you might as well just buy a full size.

- - - Updated - - -

In fact, GCBC pointed this out in their recent Canyon review:

THE GOOD
? Right sized outside
? Right sized inside
? Plenty of power
? All-around refinement
? Real world fuel economy

THE BAD
? Almost as costly as full-size
? Almost as big as full-size
? Not as powerful as full-size
? Almost as thirsty as full-size

? Awkward long box proportions

It may not matter anyway, because relatively speaking almost nobody's buying them.

Last edited:
The problem with the Ranger and other compact trucks, even this Ranger or the new Colo-nyon twins, is that the value proposition just isn't there. Even leaving out the fleet special $9999 trucks at the end of the model year (those will start up later this month or early next), their prices are such that if you need them to do truck things you might as well just buy a full size.

I need one of these $9999 trucks in extend-cab 4wd. Screw a $30k SUV...

So...Stay in Honduras hidden under a blanket or private island it is then. Honestly, I just want a place where I can have loads of space and won't have absolute panic every time I switch on the news. grrr...

*ahem* You should try Cartago, the Arenal volcano area, or anywhere in San Jos? except the southern neighborhoods. Cartago will be the cheapest place to buy land.

Now onto something car related: I brought in my car for a normal service, and the dealer managed to royally screw up. They did an oil change, an alignment, air filter change, and updated the MMI software. I picked up the car and a turbo pipe was evidently loose as the car sounded like a pressure cooker. I turned back around and they tidied everything up into place.

I didn't use my car over the weekend (service was on Friday), and on Monday I find that it stutters from 1600-2100 RPM. The car is not pulling any codes, they have "fixed" it already once last week and I dropped it off again yesterday.
Meanwhile I get a friggin Nissan Tiida loaner, and they ask me to return it with the same amount of gas as when I picked it up.

BTW: The Tiida epitomizes everything I hate about Japanese cars: horrible engine drone, uncomfortable seats, the brakes are weak, steering is imprecise and numb, and horrible materials; all accentuated by the fact that it is a 3rd world poverty spec car. Japanese makes are notorious for that here, the cars are heavily decontented even on the safety side: no ABS or airbags on this heap. They even took away the roof handles.

Last edited:
I need one of these $9999 trucks in extend-cab 4wd. Screw a $30k SUV...

I always get flyers for them, to say nothing of the radio and TV ads, though it will be more like $15K with 4WD and extended cab.

Meanwhile I get a friggin Nissan Tiida loaner, and they ask me to return it with the same amount of gas as when I picked it up.

BTW: The Tiida epitomizes everything I hate about Japanese cars: horrible engine drone, uncomfortable seats, the brakes are weak, steering is imprecise and numb, and horrible materials; all accentuated by the fact that it is a 3rd world poverty spec car. Japanese makes are notorious for that here, the cars are heavily decontented even on the safety side: no ABS or airbags on this heap. They even took away the roof handles.

What year Tiida? Recently the Tiida/Versa in the Americas went waaaay down market with the current generation. They went from their own decent semi-premium platform to the Chinese market Micra with a rebadge. Despite Nissan initially promising they wouldn't inflict that horrible thing on the Americas.

What year Tiida? Recently the Tiida/Versa in the Americas went waaaay down market with the current generation. They went from their own decent semi-premium platform to the Chinese market Micra with a rebadge. Despite Nissan initially promising they wouldn't inflict that horrible thing on the Americas.
It is a 2014 Tiiiiiiiida but still the first gen car. The Versa is called the Versa here, they sell both of them side by side.

It is a 2014 Tiiiiiiiida but still the first gen car. The Versa is called the Versa here, they sell both of them side by side.

You have unfortunately received the Chinese Micra. I know your pain, it's a shite car.

*ahem* You should try Cartago, the Arenal volcano area, or anywhere in San Jos? except the southern neighborhoods. Cartago will be the cheapest place to buy land.

No.

all accentuated by the fact that it is a 3rd world poverty spec car. Japanese makes are notorious for that here, the cars are heavily decontented even on the safety side: no ABS or airbags on this heap. They even took away the roof handles.

And you've hit the nail on one of the reasons why. Do you people also get this as a 2015 Renault Clio?

GAZ_4179aa2a8c2d4f75a8ad719ae35549c2.jpg

And that's one of the biggest problems with the 'compact' or 'midsize' trucks.

However, we are talking about a poverty spec "work" truck. Comes only in white, with rubber floor mats, vinyl seats, hand crank windows and a AM/FM radio. If you want the same level of equipment that the $30k mid-size has, prepare to spend $35K+.

Heck I was looking at F-150s in a 90 mile radius of my house. Only one was less than $35k and most were more than $40K. I don't want a $40k truck. I don't need a $40k truck. I can't afford a $40k truck. I don't want to afford a $40k truck.

What I want is a $20k truck with 4 real seats, a reasonable size bed and nothing to fancy. Cloth, carpet and power windows are fine, but not necessary. A touch screen center stack with a incomprehensible menu system (I'm looking at you Chevy My Link), I can do without.

However, we are talking about a poverty spec "work" truck. Comes only in white, with rubber floor mats, vinyl seats, hand crank windows and a AM/FM radio. If you want the same level of equipment that the $30k mid-size has, prepare to spend $35K+.

Nope, they've got power windows now for the most part, at least the ones I've seen lately. They also come with air conditioning standard and some of them have aux inputs on the admittedly bare bones stereo.

But after the new model year trucks all arrive, the prices will drop on all the remaining 2015 trucks, not just the work truck spec ones. The longer you wait the better the deals will get, but the worse the selection will be. My friend got a then-new-leftover Dodge Ram Quad Cab 2WD with the Cummins 600 for less than half the original sticker price by simply waiting for this time of year.

Last edited:

Can you really get a brand new, last model year Colorado for $10k? Forget trying to find a decent used Ford Ranger next year, if i can get a brand new Colorado for $10k, i'll do that. I would assume its complete base spec though. Does base spec on those still include manual windows?

Can you really get a brand new, last model year Colorado for $10k? Forget trying to find a decent used Ford Ranger next year, if i can get a brand new Colorado for $10k, i'll do that. I would assume its complete base spec though. Does base spec on those still include manual windows?

No, but you can get a brand new, last model year Silverado for $9999. The compact trucks are never ordered or stocked in significant quantity to have to be blown out at the end of the year, generally, so no $9999-get-this-thing-out-of-here-now specials show up like clockwork at the end of the year on those like they do on the full-sizers. Yes, they're base spec but look at my immediately prior post.

- - - Updated - - -

For that matter, the fire-sale on 2015s has already started, this is from one of the area dealerships and is just the tip of the iceberg in terms of deals they will be making as the 2016s roll in and pressure on the dealers mounts.

Zero%20Ford%20Proper%20Car%20SUV%20Blast.jpg

No, but you can get a brand new, last model year Silverado for $9999. The compact trucks are never ordered or stocked in significant quantity to have to be blown out at the end of the year, generally, so no $9999-get-this-thing-out-of-here-now specials show up like clockwork at the end of the year on those like they do on the full-sizers. Yes, they're base spec but look at my immediately prior post.

- - - Updated - - -

For that matter, the fire-sale on 2015s has already started, this is from one of the area dealerships and is just the tip of the iceberg in terms of deals they will be making as the 2016s roll in and pressure on the dealers mounts.

Zero%20Ford%20Proper%20Car%20SUV%20Blast.jpg

Even better that its a full size, not a midsize. I'll have to keep that in mind when im looking next year.

No.

And you've hit the nail on one of the reasons why. Do you people also get this as a 2015 Renault Clio?

GAZ_4179aa2a8c2d4f75a8ad719ae35549c2.jpg

Hey, we're an hour's plane ride away. Think about it.

I don't think we get the Clio anymore, but if we do it is the "normal" one they sell in France. The one you posted I've never seen before.

Even better that its a full size, not a midsize. I'll have to keep that in mind when im looking next year.

The year end clearance stuff usually only runs from late August to January or February, then you have to wait again or pay the regular prices.

I'm having second car cravings.

Weird because:

I'm only one guy

I'm only allowed one parking space

Money...or (at least i believe) lack thereof for 2nd car expenses.

Still, a 2nd, newer, car...perhaps skewed in the luxurious direction would be cool, 1st gen TSX for example...so clean looking. :wub:

That and I wouldn't feel as stressed about potential downtime with the Jeep. No coolant leaks seen today on the ground btw...maybe it was residual from the hose swap (doubt it...I'll need to look at the bottom of the engine in daylight to see if I see some there)

Last edited:
You have unfortunately received the Chinese Micra. I know your pain, it's a shite car.
No no, the Tiida is the first gen Versa down here, just now heavily decontented. We also get the amorfously shaped current generation Versa like you guys get.