Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

If you have the time, keep an eye out on ebay and car-part.com for individual wheels and collect them separately; that's what I did with the XJ. Stockers can go cheap in the aftermarket, though maybe that's more a Jag thing because their offset and hub size make them less valuable.

I think its about same for nissans, i can basically get altima wheels as long as they are 17s it would work on this car.

As an alternative you might want to consider the Nokian WRG3 4-Seasons. I ran the previous WRG2's on a couple of my cars in the past and they were exceptional tires in or out of the snow. I live in a warm mountain valley where you can go from spring/fall conditions and dry roads at the valley bottom to 3 feet of snow and blizzard conditions up the mountains within the space of a half hour so I need tires that can handle both well and the Nokians do the job. And they appear to come in your stock sizes (225/45R18 and 245/45R18) http://www.nokiantires.com/all-weather-tires/nokian-wrg3/

Last edited:
As an alternative you might want to consider the Nokian WRG3 4-Seasons. I ran the previous WRG2's on a couple of my cars in the past and they were exceptional tires in or out of the snow. I live in a warm mountain valley where you can go from spring/fall conditions and dry roads at the valley bottom to 3 feet of snow and blizzard conditions up the mountains within the space of a half hour so I need tires that can handle both well and the Nokians do the job. And they appear to come in your stock sizes (225/45R18 and 245/45R18) http://www.nokiantires.com/all-weather-tires/nokian-wrg3/

That's an idea, thanks!

So I was at the gas station today when an older guy pulled in with a WRX. I asked if he stole the kid's car keys, he responded with no, it's mine. We went back and forth a bit when he asked if the mini van is mine, I say no, I don't have a car at the moment, but I am looking for a Buick Roadmaster. He takes a deep breath and asks, "How damn old are you"?

:| owwwwch!

Why do people selling cars on craigslist always seem to act like they don't want to sell the car? I was about ready to buy a car when i noticed a mistake on the title (made mistake when filling out the buyer section and crossed out a word he had started writing). I told him that that mistake means the title is invalid and he needs to get a new one. That was two weeks ago and i text he every so often to see if he got the title but he keeps dragging his ass. If the car wasn't just about exactly what i'm looking for, i would have moved on already but here i am.

I have been noticing a weird trend lately, it seems manufacturers are cheapening out on rear brakes. I've mentioned before that I've been seeing new cars with rear drums but I also notice cars that have fixed calipers up front and floating in the back. Mustang is probably the worst offender since their performance package gives you massive 6 pots up front and normal floaties out back. However I've also seen Audi and BMW with that, what gives? Are fixed calipers really that expensive? We are talking an additional package that already costs $ and luxury cars that are not exactly cheap to begin with.

:dunno: Most of a cars braking is handled up front. Like 70+% iirc. Floaters are more than good enough out back.

Last edited:
Why do people selling cars on craigslist always seem to act like they don't want to sell the car? I was about ready to buy a car when i noticed a mistake on the title (made mistake when filling out the buyer section and crossed out a word he had started writing). I told him that that mistake means the title is invalid and he needs to get a new one. That was two weeks ago and i text he every so often to see if he got the title but he keeps dragging his ass. If the car wasn't just about exactly what i'm looking for, i would have moved on already but here i am.

I am having a similar issue myself. It is not exactly what I want, but it was super cheap and in pretty good condition. But when I noticed the title was in his father's name, and they have power of attorney(supposedly), but will not take time out to go with me to the Secretary of State office to get the title transferred. It was almost a month ago that I agreed to a price with them, pulled the ad and now nothing.

I'm becoming an Uber driver this week. I'll mostly do it to and from work since I drive a pretty congested route, I guess someone must be going in the same general direction every now and then.

Stupid question... Do modifications need to be reported to your insurance company in the US? I always thought you were free to do whatever you wanted but they wouldn't cover anything you didn't tell them about.

Stupid question... Do modifications need to be reported to your insurance company in the US? I always thought you were free to do whatever you wanted but they wouldn't cover anything you didn't tell them about.

Check your policy and state law, but generally no. However, modifications that are illegal in your state (such as a blower scoop blocking line of sight, which is illegal in some states) that could conceivably have contributed to the accident could result in not being covered for that accident (as well as criminal charges). Some policies are written such that modifications, even legal ones, that fail and cause an accident may result in denied claims.

I think it's perfectly normal to sit in the front of the taxi. :dunno:

:dunno: Most of a cars braking is handled up front. Like 70+% iirc. Floaters are more than good enough out back.

That's not completely accurate, while you are correct that there is more braking down up front the actual split depends on how the car's weight is distributed. To me the problem is more aesthetic rather than performance, I'm sure w/e brakes are on the car are more than adequate to stop it but it just doesn't look right when there are massive 6pots up front and a dinky floaty in the back. It makes it look like someone who didn't have enough money for a full brake kit threw the big ones on the front. Also not stupid expensive cars can with fixed front and rear (STi for example) so no real reason for more expensive stuff not to.

- - - Updated - - -

I think it's perfectly normal to sit in the front of the taxi. :dunno:

In mother Russia people always get in the front, it was weird to me to have to use the back in the US when I first came.

In Berlin, locals always get in the back because there's a strict "what I don't see I can't enforce" policy regarding seat belt use employed by most drivers, i.e., if you ride in the back, you don't have to buckle up.

In Berlin, locals always get in the back because there's a strict "what I don't see I can't enforce" policy regarding seat belt use employed by most drivers, i.e., if you ride in the back, you don't have to buckle up.

How is that a good thing? :p
I ride in front, but rarely take taxis anyway.

So, the empty garage bays/detailing area of the Subaru/BMW/Merc dealers here in town (all under same ownership) is going to be converted into an Audi service/repair shop.... not an actual dealership (which we do not have in Nanaimo).

Make of that what you will.