Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

I noticed the Montana's lights had a bit of a strobe effect the other night. I am now debating on preemptively changing the alternator before it goes sub arctic here. I could just let it die and pay somebody else to swap it out if it is really cold when it goes, or hope it makes it to spring.

The voltages are fine, it hovers between 13.9 and 14.4 volts.

Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

You may be getting alternating current leakage from that alternator due to a failing rectifier. The DC electronics in the car, like, oh, the computer, don't like that very much.

Might want to replace it before you have to replace the ECU, CPS, TCU, various body modules, etc.

If nothing else, yank it off and take it in to your local Vatozone or similar parts place for free testing.

Last edited:
Can it be tested in the van? It is not an easy pull. If it were an easy thing to do, I would. In typical FWD fashion, it is tight.

Can it be tested in the van? It is not an easy pull. If it were an easy thing to do, I would. In typical FWD fashion, it is tight.

It can, technically, but most auto parts stores' on car testing capability is limited to load testing and voltage reading.

What really matters is if your battery is charged during the test.

:wub: Skoda...

Oh God not SEAT. They killed the old Audi A4 that was their only good car. Skoda's (I'm told) are actually very nice and a good alternative for someone looking for a quality car on a budget. they wouldn't sell for shit in America because 2.0T, besides, I'm damn skippy that it could suffer from American VW-itis.

Last edited:
Oh God not SEAT. They killed the old Audi A4 that was their only good car. Skoda's (I'm told) are actually very nice and a good alternative for someone looking for a quality car on a budget. they wouldn't sell for shit in America because 2.0T, besides, I'm damn skippy that it could suffer from American VW-itis.

Aside from the Superb, Skoda and Seat basically sell the same cars with different 'skins'. Well, maybe the Fabia sits on an older platform than the Ibiza, but I'm not sure about that...

Last edited:
Aside from the Superb, Skoda and Seat basically sell the same cars with different 'skins'. Well, maybe the Fabia sits on an older platform than the Ibiza, but I'm not sure about that...

If there was a giant Spanish sedan based on the Superb though... That's something I could get behind.

Seat say-at perhaps? :D

Que? People buy turbocharged cars here all the time now. Admittedly most likely don't know they're turbocharged (looking at you, Cruze drivers) but its definitely a lot more common than say 2008 or so due to the last gen of Hyundai/Kia mid-size cars eschewing the V6 option and most of the non Japanese competitors going the turbo route as well.

Still enough room for all of the luggage!

Que? People buy turbocharged cars here all the time now. Admittedly most likely don't know they're turbocharged (looking at you, Cruze drivers) but its definitely a lot more common than say 2008 or so due to the last gen of Hyundai/Kia mid-size cars eschewing the V6 option and most of the non Japanese competitors going the turbo route as well.

Audi and BMW have been selling turbos for years now, in the case of Audi they've had 1.8T motor since B5 gen around here and no one had any issues with it. Gear heads like it because turbo rest of the folks don't give a shit what powers the car as long as it goes places.

It's not the turbo engines themselves. It's the fact that the biggest engine available would be that 2.0T. When introducing a new brand you'd have to have something exciting to make the customers. Volvo may have pulled it off because..well, they're Volvo. but people looking at Skoda's would just see a group of generic cars that offer nothing over the competition.

Last edited:
Still enough room for all of the luggage!

There were several Pontiacs that had more doors added, but I can't remember the name of the company.