Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

No, that's not normal. Usually the window regulator is affixed to the door or to a metal panel that bolts to the door shell. Attaching it to the door trim seems both stupid and very French. But I repeat myself. :mrgreen:

Even in the Z the regular was on the door despite it's French connection :drums: the motor though was on a removable piece of metal that was between the door card and the exterior panel.
The window regulators seem to be a common failure in the Megane II
And the 350Z/Infiniti G35 as well, wonder if it's a French thing :p

Last edited:
Whats got two thumbs and forgot to put the trickle charger on the Mustang? This guy!

Even in the Z the regular was on the door despite it's French connection :drums: the motor though was on a removable piece of metal that was between the door card and the exterior panel.

And the 350Z/Infiniti G35 as well, wonder if it's a French thing :p
I mean the motor unit, not the metal rails if that's any difference. The metal rails were inside the door as usual but the motor/bit where the cables go in was screwed into the door trim.

I mean the motor unit, not the metal rails if that's any difference. The metal rails were inside the door as usual but the motor/bit where the cables go in was screwed into the door trim.

So same set up as the Z then, the regulator is the metal frame with the wires on it.

Serious question: What's the reason handbrakes are always on the rear axle of a car?

Not having to deal with a system that can pivot because of the steering?

Serious question: What's the reason handbrakes are always on the rear axle of a car?

Probably so you can brake without losing the ability to steer in an emergency situation. Of course Saab tried to buck the trend with front-wheel emergency brakes in early 900s, but gave up on that later on.

Probably so you can brake without losing the ability to steer in an emergency situation. Of course Saab tried to buck the trend with front-wheel emergency brakes in early 900s, but gave up on that later on.

They aren't really "emergency" brakes anymore, just a parking brake, and yes it's mostly packaging since they tend to be cable actuated it's much easier to have a cable go to two stationary calipers. With new electronic parking brakes it wouldn't matter I suppose.

Probably so you can brake without losing the ability to steer in an emergency situation.

That's just BS. Most of the braking happens on the front wheels, emergency or not. The rear wheels does fuck all for braking.

I never understood why the americans even call it an "emergency brake". That's what the normal brake is for, for stopping the car, emergency or not. The handbrake is a parking brake, for keeping the car stationary. Not for stopping it.

I never understood why the americans even call it an "emergency brake". That's what the normal brake is for, for stopping the car, emergency or not. The handbrake is a parking brake, for keeping the car stationary. Not for stopping it.

Thank you. I think the same people call the parking lights "driving lights".

Last edited:

I have used a parking brake to stop a vehicle that had a regular brake failure. Admittedly it was at less than 10 mph.

Part of the reason we call them an emergency brake is that's what we are taught to call them. Here's a couple excerpts from the Missouri DoR Driver Guide:

PARKING ON HILLS
Before leaving your parked vehicle:
? Turn your wheels in the proper direction (see graphic below);
? Turn off the motor, leaving the vehicle in proper gear;
? Set the emergency/parking brake;
? Remove the keys from the ignition;
? Check your rearview mirror for traffic before stepping out; and
? Lock it and pocket the keys.
Before you drive away from any parking space, be sure to check for traffic
and signal.

BRAKE FAILURE: If your brake pedal suddenly sinks to the floor:
1. Pump the brake pedal fast and hard several times. If that does not work...
2. Use your emergency or parking brake, but use it gradually.
3. Shift to a low gear and look for a place to slow to a stop.
4. Make sure your vehicle is off the road.
5. After the vehicle has stopped, call for help. Do not try to drive to a garage.

Note that it calls it both an emergency and parking brake.

Here's the entire Driver Guide in PDF if you want to read it.

Definitely hard to use an electric parking brake as an emergency brake.

That's just BS. Most of the braking happens on the front wheels, emergency or not. The rear wheels does fuck all for braking.

It's because they actually used to be an emergency backup braking system but as vehicle weight and component reliability went up they became parking brakes. I have used mine for emergency braking before, and it also comes in handy in stopping in snow.

Because in ancient times, mainstream cars used drum brakes actuated by cables, even later than this 1935 video.

The cables would sometimes snap due to lack of maintenance, manufacturing defects, or most commonly road debris or operating conditions would break a cable or otherwise render it useless. At that point you have NO brake control with most designs. Your only remaining control channel to the brakes was the totally separate backup or 'emergency' brake control - which actually didn't have a ratcheting mechanism to begin with. Only after they gained a ratcheting mechanism to become dual purpose were they marketed as 'parking brakes'. Manufacturers continued to market them as 'emergency brakes' through the 1970s when product liability lawsuits began to force them to change the nomenclature.

Duesenberg debuted the world's first hydraulic service brakes in 1921 but it took a very long time to catch on by modern standards and right through WW2 the vehicle fleet was majority cable brakes. Most of Europe was, as well. The Austin 7 originally shipped with all four brakes controlled by a hand lever and the foot pedal only actuated the rear brakes - all through cables, to pick one example. However, as always, Europe was kinder to ground vehicles than the Americas are and Europeans had far fewer issues with snapped cables and related brake failures.

- - - Updated - - -

In a lot of EPB systems, if you hold the switch up while the car is in motion it gradually applies the brake.

No, it *tries* to apply the brake. There have been a number of tests where they sometimes don't seem to have enough power to apply the brake in a dynamic situation. Hint: Don't try this with any of the recent Jag electronic parking brake systems.

- - - Updated - - -

They didn't use to be (see above) - today they're always on the rear because it is far easier and cheaper to engineer them back there (for reasons including the ones you posit) and (as others have noted) you can't lock the front wheels and thereby lose steering control, if you really are using them in an emergency.

However, some larger (but non-commercial) 4WD/RWD vehicles do not have wheel-mounted handbrakes. Instead they use a driveshaft or transmission brake as their even larger cousins do.

Disc versions exist as well.

Last edited:
Why is it that when I look at cars, the colors I like and would consider buying are always the hardest to find. Sure there are the absurd ones like the Gotta Have It Green Mustangs, Creme Yellow 850s T5-Rs and Flash Green Metallic V70Rs. But this time I'm looking at a very reasonable (at least compared to the others) car in a very reasonable color, and one that I'm more likely than not going to pursue getting in the near future - the 2002-2004 Infiniti M45 (thanks to the discussion in Viper's thread). Looked at the color's available and one imediatly stood out as my favorite, Emerald Mist Metallic. Started looking online, and its obviously the hardest one to find anywhere. Because of course it is.

yh5e4eg.jpg

Unlike all the others, this one isn't even absurd! Its a nice subtle shade of green, and yet, no one bought it new :(

EDIT: Got reminded of one more car I like in the rarest color. The 900 SPG in Beryl Green.

Last edited:
Why is it that when I look at cars, the colors I like and would consider buying are always the hardest to find. Sure there are the absurd ones like the Gotta Have It Green Mustangs, Creme Yellow 850s T5-Rs and Flash Green Metallic V70Rs. But this time I'm looking at a very reasonable (at least compared to the others) car in a very reasonable color, and one that I'm more likely than not going to pursue getting in the near future - the 2002-2004 Infiniti M45 (thanks to the discussion in Viper's thread). Looked at the color's available and one imediatly stood out as my favorite, Emerald Mist Metallic. Started looking online, and its obviously the hardest one to find anywhere. Because of course it is.

yh5e4eg.jpg

Unlike all the others, this one isn't even absurd! Its a nice subtle shade of green, and yet, no one bought it new :(

Because basically nobody else but you likes those colors? :p