Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Got a contact today for both welding and soda blasting, so it'll be interesting to see if I can get a bunch of my cars in order at this guy's shop. I told him he can use the 190E engine block to test out his soda blast equipment, since apparently it needs some adjusting at the moment.

With the inevitable death of the Cadillac ELR, I'm wondering if used prices on what is essentially a 1st-gen Volt drop enough to make it an option as a commuter car; right now I'm down to 5 miles a day roundtrip, but my girlfriend might end up getting a job in the next year near enough to me that driving the commute is the better option, there's a garage near my work that offers charging, and the Dart...well, rather than highlight all my momentary stupidity, let's just say I've beat on it harder than I intended.

With the inevitable death of the Cadillac ELR, I'm wondering if used prices on what is essentially a 1st-gen Volt drop enough to make it an option as a commuter car; right now I'm down to 5 miles a day roundtrip, but my girlfriend might end up getting a job in the next year near enough to me that driving the commute is the better option, there's a garage near my work that offers charging, and the Dart...well, rather than highlight all my momentary stupidity, let's just say I've beat on it harder than I intended.

I've seen a few 2014s listed as low as $33k. 50% off in 2 years? Not bad.

Unless you bought one new...

Sucks to suck?

50% off an inflated starting price isn't all that much of a bargain.

50% off an inflated starting price isn't all that much of a bargain.

Tell that to the legions of JCPenney shoppers who ditched them for Kohls during the "fair pricing" experiment.

"what do ya mean this is a fair price? I can't use a 50% off coupon on the item like i used to in order to get it at this price in the first place!"

Yes, I'm still bitter....

Tell that to the legions of JCPenney shoppers who ditched them for Kohls during the "fair pricing" experiment.

"what do ya mean this is a fair price? I can't use a 50% off coupon on the item like i used to in order to get it at this price in the first place!"

Yes, I'm still bitter....

Lots of people *need* to feel that they're somehow getting a deal, especially women (per studies). JCP pricing deprived them of that and alienated much of their core customer base (women).

Tangential discussion spoilered:
Then they did their "ALL GAY ALL THE TIME" ad campaign and managed to run off the rest of their core customer base (older, more socially conservative people) while not bringing in more of the targeted audience - because most self-respecting gay people had zero interest in buying the crap JCP sold (just like Jaguar did with the X-Type - gay people weren't dumb enough to buy a Mondeo in a party frock). In a little unscientific survey at the time, I polled fifteen gay friends and acquaintances. 0 out of 15 had any interest in shopping at JCP.

The lack of getting a 'deal' is also why flat no-haggle pricing hasn't really caught on with car, houses or really any big ticket item.

Last edited:
yAlTAoy.jpg

Interesting concept

You know the engine is pretty bad when someone is proposing to pay me to take a 2005 Ford F-250 with the 6.0L PowerStroke diesel... and I'm having to think long and hard about whether I want to deal with it.

You know the engine is pretty bad when someone is proposing to pay me to take a 2005 Ford F-250 with the 6.0L PowerStroke diesel... and I'm having to think long and hard about whether I want to deal with it.

Needs head gaskets, I'm sure a with list of other issues.

There's a shop in Joplin that specializes in late model diesels. Anytime I go by there and they have the doors open I see at least one Ford cab in the air.

Yeah, the 6.0PSD could have been subtitled "The Diesel Mechanics' Full Employment Act." It was a horrible, unfinished engine.

How does the 6.4 compare?

How does the 6.4 compare?

Not much better. They had their own extensive list of issues. Part of the reason the Navistar deal crumbled. If you want a late model Ford diesel, you gotta get the 6.7.

Also going on day 3 since quitting Jalopnik. I'm now getting angry fewer times a day. I do keep hitting Ctrl+T, J, Enter by reflex when I open Chrome, but having deleted it from my history it takes me to www.jomashop.com now.

Last edited:
Not much better. They had their own extensive list of issues. Part of the reason the Navistar deal crumbled. If you want a late model Ford diesel, you gotta get the 6.7.

The 6.4 was the bug fix version of the 6.0. I would characterize it as a significant improvement over the nightmare that was the 6.0 - at least it didn't hydrolock while running and cut out on the freeway. It did have its issues, as you say, but you could fix them for far less than the stupid money it cost to bandaid a 6.0 to be acceptable. Basically, though, if you're looking at Ford diesels, IMHO the hierarchy goes 7.3, 6.7, IDI 7.3/6.9, Mars, moons of Jupiter, 6.4, Neptune, Planet X, then way out after Alpha Centauri, 6.0.

- - - Updated - - -

In any case, I was mistaken. The offer was <undisclosed amount of money equal to the least I'd take> plus a 1999 F-250 7.3L PowerStroke with a blown headgasket. I took the deal and will collect the Powerstroke tomorrow. I'm still buying a Bronco in the next couple of days, though. The current candidate du jour:

Last edited: