Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Nice cam, dude. Looks like you had a lube system failure or bad metallurgy. Rebuild time! At the very least for the head.

I'm suspecting oil. About a year and a half ago an oil change revealed only 2 quarts drained (the previous oil change was normal). I've since kept it topped off, but I think that period when I didn't know it was low probably had a lot to do with the state of things.

Car is running fine at the moment; didn't suspect anything was wrong till my 110k valve adjustment. It's now getting new cams.

For the sake of anecdata: 2003 Honda Civic Si, EP3, K20A3, 108k miles, stock, oil changes every 5000-7000 miles with Mobile 1 5W-20.

Lots of people *need* to feel that they're somehow getting a deal, especially women (per studies). JCP pricing deprived them of that and alienated much of their core customer base (women).

Tangential discussion spoilered:
Then they did their "ALL GAY ALL THE TIME" ad campaign and managed to run off the rest of their core customer base (older, more socially conservative people) while not bringing in more of the targeted audience - because most self-respecting gay people had zero interest in buying the crap JCP sold (just like Jaguar did with the X-Type - gay people weren't dumb enough to buy a Mondeo in a party frock). In a little unscientific survey at the time, I polled fifteen gay friends and acquaintances. 0 out of 15 had any interest in shopping at JCP.

The lack of getting a 'deal' is also why flat no-haggle pricing hasn't really caught on with car, houses or really any big ticket item.

No haggle just seems like a no-brainer for me - i have *this* much to spend...find me items that cost *this* much or less...it just makes sense.

But then again, I'm not exactly normal.....

As for JCP demographics, I shop there occasionally, although tbh I forget about it until I need to buy clothes and figure I should try something other than Target.

No haggle just seems like a no-brainer for me - i have *this* much to spend...find me items that cost *this* much or less...it just makes sense.

And then as a real estate agent, they will show you only listings that are .01-100% *over* said budget. :lol:

I had a Honda do that to me once, 1982 Civic Wagovan. Good luck.

Any plans to flush out the engine somehow to make sure there aren't any contamination left in the oil?

It's going to be getting an oil change and new filter after regardless

Just new cams; they're already on order

You also should have the valve guides, cam bearings and followers/tappets/rollers examined for damage. Those are all quite common collateral damage.

- - - Updated - - -

It's going to be getting an oil change and new filter after regardless

I'd suggest finding a shop with a Bilstein motor flush machine to remove the particles that assuredly are still in your engine.

I'm actually with you on that, you tell me car costs 20k, that's what I expect to spend, haggling is a pain in my balls

As for JCP demographics, I shop there occasionally, although tbh I forget about it until I need to buy clothes and figure I should try something other than Target.
I seen you before, you ain't exactly stylish :p

I'm actually with you on that, you tell me car costs 20k, that's what I expect to spend, haggling is a pain in my balls

Exactly! I get that "the thrill of a deal" can be compelling for some but I just wanna test the car, get treated well, pay the agreed upon upfront price and go.

I seen you before, you ain't exactly stylish :p

Tis true. Hell, my employer's lucky I even show up wearing khaki's and a polo most of the week. If i was allowed to, I'd wear jeans or cargo shorts and a t-shirt 365 days a year. :lol:

The further adventures of me and my buddies car thing:
I went to Reno/Dacia to book the Twingo test drive in morning. An awful lot of old people were after Dacias in there.

In the afternoon it's C1 test drive. I get nothing out of this... except hopefully I get to borrow the Twingus. :wub:

yAlTAoy.jpg

Interesting concept

Pff. Try these. After watching I immediately ordered me some.

Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Here's the 'new' F-250, or what's left of it:

Still working out the the logistics of getting it back to my place. Hopefully picking up the Bronco tomorrow.

Last edited:
I'm in the back of the Twingo... Fuck me, the engine sounds odd and awesome behind you.

Here's the 'new' F-250, or what's left of it:

Still working out the the logistics of getting it back to my place. Hopefully picking up the Bronco tomorrow.
On something that big and heavy, it's sometimes worth it just to pay a tow truck.

We'll see, but given the probable disposal of the thing, I am loathe to spend money on it.

Find a friend with AAA Gold. That gives you 100 miles of free towing.