Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Forgot to add "How far away are you from the sea?"

Its a fucking island.
I hated selling my Hilux. Sadly it was a car that appealed greatly to lower IQ brackets.

I had a whole list of "what's your best price" texts on my phone, zero of which I replied to. Fuck you, if you want to bargain you can look at the car first. People would ring up and try and offer 5 grand less than I was asking, does that even ever work out for them?

Then the guys who turn up and then pick faults. One guy told me that the car must have been in a massive accident "because the rear end is off a Holden Rodeo." I said "No it isn't, mate. What makes you think that anyway?" just because I wanted an insight into his stupidity. "Because it doesn't say Toyota on it." Ever heard of debadging? Fucks sake.

I hated selling my Hilux. Sadly it was a car that appealed greatly to lower IQ brackets.

I had a whole list of "what's your best price" texts on my phone, zero of which I replied to. Fuck you, if you want to bargain you can look at the car first. People would ring up and try and offer 5 grand less than I was asking, does that even ever work out for them?

Then the guys who turn up and then pick faults. One guy told me that the car must have been in a massive accident "because the rear end is off a Holden Rodeo." I said "No it isn't, mate. What makes you think that anyway?" just because I wanted an insight into his stupidity. "Because it doesn't say Toyota on it." Ever heard of debadging? Fucks sake.

Selling cars is a terrible experience.
I completely understand when people like my father just trade theirs in at the dealer for a new one and be done with it.

This is why my new car is brand fucking new with warranty and I throw it back in their face in 3 years.

Selling cars is a terrible experience.
I completely understand when people like my father just trade theirs in at the dealer for a new one and be done with it.

This is why I traded mine in as well, I can't deal with the BS

This is why my new car is brand fucking new with warranty and I throw it back in their face in 3 years.

Do they still produce the streetKA? :p

I'm not looking forward to dealing with this when I sell the XJ in a few months.

The trade in at the dealer is basically 'webuyanydeathtrap' can offer you more... Half what the cars worth. <_<

I'm not looking forward to dealing with this when I sell the XJ in a few months.

Actually, selling my F-350 wasn't too bad; dumping the F-250 I got in trade was actually pretty easy. The 350 sold in just a few days and the 250 sold in 48 hours of me posting the ad. The more detail and more pics you list in your ad, the better (usually).

Edit: The following line tends to be useful when posting vehicles on CL for sale: Not interested in trades of any kind other than cash, will not finance, will not ship.

- - - Updated - - -

The trade in at the dealer is basically 'webuyanydeathtrap' can offer you more... Half what the cars worth. <_<

Don't forget that they make sure they add the price they paid onto your cost for whatever they sell you in return. :p

Last edited:
I'm hoping that selling my Honda will be easy because it's going to be priced so low.

Interestingly, having a price set too low can be a bar to selling it just as much as a price that's too high.

Interestingly, having a price set too low can be a bar to selling it just as much as a price that's too high.

This is true, if I saw a car with a curiously low price, I'd assume something was up and just move on.

Thanks all for the reminder that any attempt to sell my XJR will be an annoying one.

Thanks all for the reminder that any attempt to sell my XJR will be an annoying one.

No it won't. You already have a buyer waiting list, remember?

Der Stig's ahead of me, but yes, we were both serious.

- - - Updated - - -

Got to check out some interesting stuff last night while helping out a guy from another forum. Got to see some nearly century old machinery.

The car in the background is a rather expensive V12 powered, roadster-pickup body vehicle from around WW1. It originally had wooden wheels but after nearly a century they needed to be repaired so the owner put it on some later truck wheels for now. It *does* run and drive, even now.

It will only be priced so low because that's all its worth. There's several things that need work on it that aren't worth the value increase for me to do myself.

It will only be priced so low because that's all its worth. There's several things that need work on it that aren't worth the value increase for me to do myself.

Make sure you clearly explain it in your ad, include lots of pictures and you'll probably be fine. This was the ad I posted for the beat to crap F-250 and I had no shortage of interest despite the problems and low price.

I took this F250 in trade on a truck I was selling, then bought a Bronco. Decided not to try a PowerStroke swap so this truck's gotta go ASAP.

This is a very rough 99 F-250 Lariat 2WD with the Super or extended cab and short bed. I had the VIN run and apparently it shipped from the factory with the camper prep package and many other options. However, that was a long time ago.

The PowerStroke 7.3L turbo diesel engine starts quickly even in cold weather and seems to run well despite some diesel and oil leaks as well as a coolant leak apparently from a failed freeze plug. Likewise the transmission seems to be in working order, as I drove it 20 miles to its current location with no problems I could see other than it leaks from the transmission's front seal when the truck is driven or parked nose down on a hill. Brakes and shocks seem to have been replaced recently; the guy I got it from said he'd recently replaced the starter and a few other things. Youtube videos of the actual truck starting and running are available upon request. Or you can come see and hear the truck run and drive around a parking lot yourself by appointment. The PowerStroke runs well, pulls strongly and there's no signs of blowby or significant smoke that I can tell.

The truck interior is very rough, someone has replaced the front 40/20/40 seat with a bench from a base model, the overhead console and radio are missing, the headliner is gone, and basically the entire truck looks like it was ridden hard and put away wet numerous times. The exterior is also similarly in not the greatest condition - there are small dents and scratches on most panels. The air conditioning and heater worked when I tried them as did the power windows; the power locks seem to have failed. The tires need to be replaced. I am not sure if the just under 205,000 miles on the odometer is correct or not; I got it this way and there's no real way for me to tell.

Basically this is a project or parts truck and not immediately suitable for driving or commuting until several fixes are made. I am not going to fix it myself because I have no time to do so nor would I have any interest in the vehicle afterwards were it repaired. No, I will not part it out - truck must leave as a whole. Consider it as an PowerStroke engine and 4R100 transmission that comes with its own delivery system!

I do have a signed clear title in my hand for this truck. Not interested in trades for other vehicles - have too many as it is. Looking for cash only - will entertain all reasonable offers. Will not ship the vehicle. Asking $2500 or best offer - I really would like this truck to go away soonest and cash talks.

Truck was gone within 48 hours.

Last edited:
No it won't. You already have a buyer waiting list, remember?

Der Stig's ahead of me, but yes, we were both serious.
Thanks for the reminder; yes you both have first right of refusal when that day comes. Might be this summer.

I was unaware that BMW was considered reliable, we're talking about the brand that tends to make engines that can break themselves if you don't know much about a car.

Like the M20 engine used in the e30, the heads can warp if you start pushing the car while it's cold, even just using the wrong brand of oil... not kind, but brand... will make it tick like a clock.
2002 and e21 can bend just infront of the trunk if you ever pull a trailer with one...
reliability has not been what BMW is famous for as far as i know.

I was unaware that BMW was considered reliable, we're talking about the brand that tends to make engines that can break themselves if you don't know much about a car.

Like the M20 engine used in the e30, the heads can warp if you start pushing the car while it's cold, even just using the wrong brand of oil... not kind, but brand... will make it tick like a clock.
2002 and e21 can bend just infront of the trunk if you ever pull a trailer with one...
reliability has not been what BMW is famous for as far as i know.

This is contrary to both their long standing US marketing position as well as BMW fanboys on both sides of the Atlantic. We've even had Euro FG members deny that BMWs were anything but perfect and they never broke, etc.