Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Parts of Carlisle PA too...dunno if it's because of the Fairgrounds being there and all the car events, the college students (Dickinson College is there) or what....

At least one town has enforced it: http://www.caranddriver.com/features/the-end-of-cruising

Presumably would be easy enough to get out of it since they can't prove that driver had no legitimate purpose in going back and forth on same street. Also I suspect if one were inclined to take it all the way up to SCOTUS it would be found unconstitutional

DMV: "We need proof the recall was done from the dealer. We need proof the recall was done from the dealer. We need proof the recall was done from the dealer."

Dealer: "We don't know why they think your car needs a recall repair. Check with the California Air Resource Board."

California Air Resource Board (CARB): "We don't know why the dealer reported your VIN as a part of this recall.
Me: "Which recall?"
CARB: "We don't have that information"

<_<

Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Welcome to California. Good luck, you're going to need it.

Last edited:
UZOeLjf.jpg

The XTerra cleared a crash off the highway today.

I rolled up on this crash with two guys trying to push the Chevy up hill with a smashed front wheel and puking ATF. No police yet, so I started to hook up the tow strap to clear the road. The troopers rolled in just as I was getting ready to drag it out of the way - one was kind of a dick with control issues, the other was decent.

It's a bad week to drive a Chevy sedan in my town.

Got a Bclass with a diesel engine and an automatic gearbox as a rental for a trip with some friends at the beginning of this week. As a passenger, I was really surprised by its lack of refinement, a lot of road and wind noise and a suspension that would not absorb too much in "Comfort" mode and was almost unbearable in "Sport" mode. For what they charge for one these as new (more than 30K ?) I was expecting something much better.

If the Jeep was already sold, I'd be all over this.

https://cargur.us/8_zKd

I'd try to bargain down a little bit, and get the front windows untinted (aka replaced with OE glass), but other than that it seems perfect.

Ouch. Get your shit together GM. I want to buy some of these cars.

I didn't watch that particular video, but Youtube is full of these jackasses pulling car related "top 10" lists out of their asses.

I am honestly shocked that my brother's partner's 500L has not left them stranded yet. It's been fine so far....if it's quickly replaced I guess we know what happened.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]
I didn't watch that particular video, but Youtube is full of these jackasses pulling car related "top 10" lists out of their asses.
[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]It's based on data from Consumer Reports (cue Spectre in 3...2...) and I have questions regarding the methodology of the survey that I'll need to research to review, particularly around:[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]1. Many of those had mentioned infotainment/climate (lets lump these together because, for the most part, controlling the climate is partially done in the touchscreen for a lot of these vehicles in the list) issues - is that a matter of the systems truly becoming broken OR is it from users just not getting a proper overview of system functions? (this begs the question....shouldn't stuff be designed so that it's intuitive so you DON'T need to read or listen to a person explain it?)

[/FONT]2. This data is being gleaned from CR subscribers - they tend to be older people who are likely more unfamiliar with how technologies like infotainment actually work. Also, they're more likely to have/spend the time to fill out surveys and are more likely to subscribe to a service like CR. Younger folks....not so much.

Like all "surveys" I'd take this one with a grain of salt.

Last edited:

Well, they're basing the list entirely on Consumer Reports data. Which isn't saying much either.

Wow, do I want to punch that little dork straight in the teeth.

Yeah, they've done of a few of those "mean youtube comments" videos (which were pretty hilarious) and he gets the most flak by far. Which is probably why they use him in more and more videos. Most of their hosts are not what you would call traditional though, which I think is intentional.

Yeah, they've done of a few of those "mean youtube comments" videos (which were pretty hilarious) and he gets the most flak by far. Which is probably why they use him in more and more videos. Most of their hosts are not what you would call traditional though, which I think is intentional.
I love how the comments on some of their reviews devolve into "Hey that's Canada, why are they pretending to be from America?" after someone notices the area they're driving in/accents/the dash displays of the test car being metric.

I should probably watch the mean YouTube comments videos just to see if they even touch this lightning rod.

This guy on a tech podcast talking about the apple car was like:

"My son just bought a new car, 5 year warranty on the car, 1 year on the software so with that, good luck....."

Is that BS? Or does software fall into a different part of the warranty.

This guy on a tech podcast talking about the apple car was like:

"My son just bought a new car, 5 year warranty on the car, 1 year on the software so with that, good luck....."

Is that BS? Or does software fall into a different part of the warranty.

Perhaps bumper-to-bumper vs drivetrain? Or 1 year of free software updates?

Unrelated, why do solid axle cars have ARBs?