Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

That thing is not the charger, the actual charger is inside the car. That is just an interface box taking care of communicating to the car that it is hooked up to a household outlet. Connecting the car to a proper charger is done with just a cable.

Also the European type 2 plug (unlike the American type 1)will physically lock the cable to the car and (when not using household outlet like that) also at the charging station / wallbox, so there is no real risk of the cable being stolen or the charging being interrupted. The household outlet cables like the one used in the picture are always called "emergency cables", and for good reason: they can be stolen, charging can be interrupted, charging is dreadfully slow, etc... So that dude is just an idiot

Iirc it is locked at both ends when in use so they have thought it through somewhat.

Doesn't stop anyone with oversized scissors though

As eizbaer points out, the US wall plug is NOT lockable. And I'm uncertain if he locks the other end.

That thing is not the charger, the actual charger is inside the car. That is just an interface box taking care of communicating to the car that it is hooked up to a household outlet. Connecting the car to a proper charger is done with just a cable.

Also the European type 2 plug (unlike the American type 1)will physically lock the cable to the car and (when not using household outlet like that) also at the charging station / wallbox, so there is no real risk of the cable being stolen or the charging being interrupted. The household outlet cables like the one used in the picture are always called "emergency cables", and for good reason: they can be stolen, charging can be interrupted, charging is dreadfully slow, etc... So that dude is just an idiot

12708__68759.1408484626.1280.1280.jpg

Lockable at both ends ey? Howbout the bit in between?

Electric cars are a fucking bad joke.

12708__68759.1408484626.1280.1280.jpg

Lockable at both ends ey? Howbout the bit in between?

Electric cars are a fucking bad joke.

Not sure if I would wanna do this with an electric cable

Worst that'll happen is you might get some sparks and the circuit breakers will trip. Being insulted with rubber handles, you'll be fine.

I know you golfcart enthousiats aren't big on it, but it's a little something called reality kid.

I was in a proper English village, population about 100. Post office that opens for about 12 minutes a week, nobody locks their doors etc... for some reason there was a white RS7 parked on the 'main street' (The only street) it was out of place, but fuck me does that car have presence.

I know you golfcart enthousiats aren't big on it, but it's a little something called reality kid.

So what, people can drill into your fuel tank too. I know you are not making a case for it, but most people aren't assholes.

Saw a Fiat 124 Spider in the flesh for the first time yesterday, I think pictures don't do it justice.

So what, people can drill into your fuel tank too. I know you are not making a case for it, but most people aren't assholes.

:lol::lol::lol:

Last edited:
If you feel the need to vandalize/sabotage someone else's car for little reason, one is just a poor bloke that should focus on things in his own life and improving them rather than make other people's lifes worse. I feel rather sorry for people who think this way. They're not cool. They're at a low point.

Also, one does not fuck with another man's vehicle, that's a man rule. If you break that, you have to hand back your man card.

Reactions: TC
How is it that everyone assumes everyone else is just bastards?
Look at Cowboy for example. He cannot even see an electric car without being blinded by rage and just imagining new and fascinating ways of destroying it and their drivers. he does it all in jest of course, but we know some other people have...lesser impulse control.

Basically, because people are bastard coated bastards with bastard filling.

If you feel the need to vandalize/sabotage someone else's car for little reason, one is just a poor bloke that should focus on things in his own life and improving them rather than make other people's lifes worse. I feel rather sorry for people who think this way. They're not cool. They're at a low point.

Also, one does not fuck with another man's vehicle, that's a man rule. If you break that, you have to hand back your man card.

Also that.

I would just like to go on record for stating that I have never, nor ever will damage another persons vehicle, even if I struggle to call that Icrap nonesense a proper car.

The movement they stand for however, the houlier than thou preaching idiots to blinded by the fancy tech, the naieve fools ignoring the dowsides and the long term consequences, embracing and pushing this affront to common sense who refuse to see electric cars are actually a huge step backwards and a downright danger to personal mobility (aka one of the most important aspects of 'freedom' , yeah I went there) That lot? They need to be fought hand and nail.

So if you start defending that bullshit around me, whinging about unkillable charging cables, wich you would not have needed with a real car in the first place, I will post bolt cutters just to prove a halfbaked point, but mostly to annoy you.

(It worked)

Last edited:
I would just like to go on record for stating that I have never, nor ever will damage another persons vehicle, even if I struggle to call that Icrap nonesense a proper car.

The movement they stand for however, the houlier than thou preaching idiots to blinded by the fancy tech, the naieve fools ignoring the dowsides and the long term consequences, embracing and pushing this affront to common sense who refuse to see electric cars are actually a huge step backwards and a downright danger to personal mobility (aka one of the most important aspects of 'freedom' , yeah I went there) That lot? They need to be fought hand and nail.

So if you start defending that bullshit around me, whinging about unkillable charging cables, wich you would not have needed with a real car in the first place, I will post bolt cutters just to prove a halfbaked point, but mostly to annoy you.

(It worked)

Don't mistake us thinking you are a society hating backwards thinking wannabe redneck for being annoyed. :)

Don't mistake us thinking you are a society hating backwards thinking wannabe redneck for being annoyed. :)

What he said.

The i3 is not a car, it's a sick joke - so that doesn't apply. :p

Some people have the same opinions about motorcycles and Jags. Besides, we all know every asshole has an opinion, but it does not make it correct.

This. It is one thing to unplug the car, completely another to steal or vandalize the adapter.

(It worked)

What long term consequences? Are they worse than dealing with fossil fuels?

What long term consequences? Are they worse than dealing with fossil fuels?

Hybrids and electric cars are more likely to be disposed of due to battery replacement costs. When was the last time you saw a first gen Prius on the road? You'll see Corollas and even some Yariseseses/Echoes from that era all over, but 10+ year old Prii and equivalent cars get dumped. Since these people buy a new car instead of spending a few thousand on a battery pack, more energy and resources are devoted to building a new car, worse so if they buy another hybrid.

There's nothing wrong with buying a hybrid or electric car as a transportation appliance that gets good fuel economy or allows you to park for free in your city and I can respect the tech that goes into them. The issue that I think Cowboy was trying to illustrate is that people that justify buying these cars to help save the earth are ignorant. Here's a short Deutsche Welle article that talks about the long term consequences.

If you're a real hippie, you'll have a 240D running on waste vegetable oil. :p

Last edited:
This, thank you for putting it in a form I can never achieve, also this very simple question: where are you going to get all the needed electricity from? The same idiots are advocating banning nuclear power.... :rolleyes:

Another point wich overlaps with self driving cars, (techheads remember) , how long do you really think before all this fancy forever online tech bullcrap possibilities are used to limit 'unneccissary' movement....all in the name of the common good and glorious Mother Gaia obviously...but really just because they can.

Last edited:
Hybrids and electric cars are more likely to be disposed of due to battery replacement costs. When was the last time you saw a first gen Prius on the road? You'll see Corollas and even some Yariseseses/Echoes from that era all over, but 10+ year old Prii and equivalent cars get dumped. Since these people buy a new car instead of spending a few thousand on a battery pack, more energy and resources are devoted to building a new car, worse so if they buy another hybrid.

There's nothing wrong with buying a hybrid or electric car as a transportation appliance that gets good fuel economy or allows you to park for free in your city and I can respect the tech that goes into them. The issue that I think Cowboy was trying to illustrate is that people that justify buying these cars to help save the earth are ignorant. Here's a short Deutsche Welle article that talks about the long term consequences.

If you're a real hippie, you'll have a 240D running on waste vegetable oil. :p

I am not saying there are no problems with EV or hybrids, but when you compare those to the vehicles we currently have, they are mostly in favor of new technology over the old.

Lets look at the mining aspect. First China is a problem because they don't do anything with an attempt towards being environmentally responsible. The exoctic chemicals that are needed for the battery can also be recycled, but what is often missed is that once the battery is no longer viable for use in a car, it can still be used for a power station in a home or tied directly to the grid. This extends the life of the battery to well over twenty years (they are lasting longer than anticipated in the cars too).

That article also talks about aluminum being used for the EVs and hybrids yet completely ignores the fact that every vehicle made uses some aluminum in it's construction. Does that mean we should stop using aluminum at all? Of course not. And again, it is recycled into new cars and other products.

The coal thing I will have to look into, but I think that article is based on old facts that are used to discredit the no emissions claim many make as a reason to buy and drive one. It also does not mention the big increase in solar and wind power produced now.

And I did ask how it fairs against fossil fuels. There are many problems getting oil out of the ground. Just that we are used to it and ignore them because we had no other real option until recently.

I may touch on this more later, but I is hungry, need to make foods.