Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Does anybody know where he can get one, that might be from a real car, bike, or something similar which could be used? The whole DIY hydraulic handbrake build could be done for around ~ 100?, and by buying a slave cylinder in pull form from the US he could just cash out some more buy himself the Heusinkveld one or even the DSD version.

Basically what he is looking for, just cheaper, if possible(?):

Wilwood 260-1333 Clutch Slave Cylinder

Surely there must be some ?ber cheap ones for like 30 - 40 ?/$ flying around out there?

Or does someone know any similar parts that could be used? I mean, the core idea is just to have something that works as a buffer to simulate the feeling of pressing a brake, but not just by a simple potentiometer or loadcell. It acts as a resistance on a spring on a firm rubber buffer to emulate the feeling of the brake pads being pressed on the discs.

If he can't find a cheaper one than these Wilwood ones, than he's just gonna by one, try it out and maybe mod the Fanatec handbrake with it as the constant failures are just a big annoyance.

One question is just how big a slave cylinder does he actually need? There are some tiny, tiny ones used to convert cable clutch motorcycles to hydraulic, but they may not provide the effort he's looking for; I can't think of any hydro clutch bikes that use a pull cylinder out of the box. Here are some if he wants to try that. http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/111969628498?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

Pull slave cylinders are extremely unusual for USDM street cars. I can think of several that have pull *clutches* (anything with a T-56) but I can't think of any off the top of my head that have pull slave cylinders from the factory. They're mostly confined to race cars and transmission swaps. Here is one cheaper offering: http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speed...gn=CSEGOOGLE&gclid=CJ3wypjJn9MCFdO2wAodRhAE8g

Last edited:
The "Corrigan" (obviously not my actual name) family garage is now expecting an addition...

Sadly, it's not as cool as whatever Jim decided to buy, but we decided to replace our nice, reliable Fusion....

....with a fancier Fusion.

9SqqGGW.jpg

vcZhTwJ.jpg

Basically, our Fusion is a great car but it's got a lot of miles and was going to need new summer and winter tires sooner rather than later. After some research, I determined that if I played my cards right, I could upgrade us to a Zephyr (literally a Fusion in Lincoln clothing with way more bells and whistles) with less miles and two good sets of tires for around what it would cost us to buy new tires, once we sell the Fusion. The Zephyr cost us ~$3000USD, we should be able to sell the Fusion for ~$2000USD. Plus, since it's mechanically identical to the old car, my remote start will directly swap over, along with the stereo AUX adapter. Don't mind the boy-racer wheels, they're the winter set with brand-new Nokian Hakkas, the OEM wheels with summer rubber are in storage.

We're very happy with it, do I ever love air conditioned seats.

Last edited:
Finally buying something not German? :p
Yes. :mrgreen:

And to be fair, we only bought one German car (and the right one, dammit!). We leased the other two: one is long gone and the other will also be history in 5 months.

- - - Updated - - -

Sadly, it's not as cool as whatever Jim decided to buy, but we decided to replace our nice, reliable Fusion....

9SqqGGW.jpg

vcZhTwJ.jpg

Basically, our Fusion is a great car but it's got a lot of miles and was going to need new summer and winter tires sooner rather than later. After some research, I determined that if I played my cards right, I could upgrade us to a Zephyr (literally a Fusion in Lincoln clothing with way more bells and whistles) with less miles and two good sets of tires for around what it would cost us to buy new tires, once we sell the Fusion. The Zephyr cost us ~$3000USD, we should be able to sell the Fusion for ~$2000USD. Plus, since it's mechanically identical to the old car, my remote start will directly swap over, along with the stereo AUX adapter. Don't mind the boy-racer wheels, they're the winter set with brand-new Nokian Hakkas, the OEM wheels with summer rubber are in storage.

1) You have a way cooler car than I ever will in your project.
2) Your wagon is also way up their on the cool meter. Like, waaaaay up there.
3) Practical transport is important. Your Lincoln is almost guaranteed to be much cooler than the family vehicle we replace the GLK with in the fall (wifey let me have my DD, I can only do so much but ultimately she chooses her DD/family car).

Last edited:
That zephyr has the best face in recent Lincoln design, save for the most recent continental face

One question is just how big a slave cylinder does he actually need? There are some tiny, tiny ones used to convert cable clutch motorcycles to hydraulic, but they may not provide the effort he's looking for; I can't think of any hydro clutch bikes that use a pull cylinder out of the box. Here are some if he wants to try that. http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/111969628498?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

Pull slave cylinders are extremely unusual for USDM street cars. I can think of several that have pull *clutches* (anything with a T-56) but I can't think of any off the top of my head that have pull slave cylinders from the factory. They're mostly confined to race cars and transmission swaps. Here is one cheaper offering: http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speed...gn=CSEGOOGLE&gclid=CJ3wypjJn9MCFdO2wAodRhAE8g

Thanks for the reply, especially the latter one would work. But he has found a solution now which he's going to try out:

HMParts MotoCross/ Dirt Bike 49 - 125 four stroke Brake Kit

This should work ... otherwise I am gonna direct him to the latter link you posted.

9SqqGGW.jpg

vcZhTwJ.jpg

Good job grandpa ;) But seriously though congratulations on new ride.

- - - Updated - - -

The "Corrigan" (obviously not my actual name) family garage is now expecting an addition...

I hate you for keeping it under wraps for so god damn long

Had a dream last night where it was raining and the salt trucks were out spreading salt. Seemed so real that I woke up all depressed thinking I had to leave the BRZ in the garage for a few more weeks. I realize its not true, but its still kinda ruined my whole day.

That's like when I wake up and see that it's raining. I refrain from driving either of my own vehicles if there's moisture falling.

I've been watching Aussie Supercars and now I want a current-gen Ford Falcon with the supercharged Coyote V8. :|

1) You have a way cooler car than I ever will in your project.
2) Your wagon is also way up their on the cool meter. Like, waaaaay up there.
3) Practical transport is important. Your Lincoln is almost guaranteed to be much cooler than the family vehicle we replace the GLK with in the fall (wifey let me have my DD, I can only do so much but ultimately she chooses her DD/family car).

Haha, thanks for the kind words my man! Just figured I'd have a bit of fun at my expense, as your car purchase has been the FG hypefest of the year!

That zephyr has the best face in recent Lincoln design, save for the most recent continental face

Yeah, I like the Zephyr/1st gen MKZ but the facelifts didn't really grab me. Lincoln looks to be heading back in a good direction though, the new Conti and MKZ look sharp.

Good job grandpa ;) But seriously though congratulations on new ride.

I'd consider arguing the Lincoln=Old White People thing, if it weren't for the fact the Zephyr was owned by a little old white lady and it was only sold because she died. :lol:

Last edited:
Has your car purchase has been the FG hypefest of the year!
Heh.... honestly, I didn't think anybody cared much! :lol:

I still want to see your project (any excuse for a summertime run through the Rockies). You'll have to tell me which car to bring. :)