Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

By the way, I don't know how many of you know that channel I linked there, but I think his channel VisioRacer is pretty cool.

I've always wondered if a CVT could be built to handle big power. In the same way that cars like the McLaren P1, 918 Spyder, and LaFerrari took hybrid powertrains to a crazy level, why not CVT's in supercars that keeps you in the peak powerband at all time, all the way up to their top speeds?

- - - Updated - - -

It's worked on me. I can't stand the CVT in the wife's Altima. Give me a regular slushbox anytime!

I had a new Civic as a loaner and I didn't even realize it was a CVT until after the fact. They can impersonate a torque converter automatic pretty convincingly, when they're built right.

Problem with CVT is heat, they can be built to take a lot of power but they would end up being hella heavy and expensive. It's easier to make an 8 or 10 speed slushbox to get pretty much the same performance.

If that's the case then why hasn't Nissan or Subaru figured that out?

They don't really use them in very high power applications, also IIRC Nissan does have a relatively high failure rate with their CVTs. Subaru hasn't been using them that long yet so not sure about them.

I'm their Vanna White analog for their trivia contest episodes. I have a name, and I can occasionally be heard drunkenly shouting at idiots who can't trivia right.

:lol: I'm picturing you as a quasi Vanna White like character..... I have no words man. :lol:

I've always wondered if a CVT could be built to handle big power. In the same way that cars like the McLaren P1, 918 Spyder, and LaFerrari took hybrid powertrains to a crazy level, why not CVT's in supercars that keeps you in the peak powerband at all time, all the way up to their top speeds?

I had a new Civic as a loaner and I didn't even realize it was a CVT until after the fact. They can impersonate a torque converter automatic pretty convincingly, when they're built right.

Nissan hypes that the CVT was banned from F1 racing because of an advantage all all the time:

[video=youtube;HFC2W0M-EOo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFC2W0M-EOo[/video]

Also lol at making the regular AT sound shitty and harsh....way to be bias.

If that's the case then why hasn't Nissan or Subaru figured that out?

The Versa I rented faux shifted all the time :dunno:, the Corolla I just returned only faux shifted when heavy on the throttle or when suddenly stabbing it like to pass someone, it would faux downshift. I've heard that Honda's is pretty decent like TC mentioned.

Personally, I'd take a traditional stepped autobox over most CVT's.

Last edited:
They don't really use them in very high power applications, also IIRC Nissan does have a relatively high failure rate with their CVTs. Subaru hasn't been using them that long yet so not sure about them.

Subaru's been using them since 1987. And yes, we got them in the US in 87.

Nissan was the first to bring a mass produced CVT to the US market that was reasonably reliable behind/under a 250-300hp V6.

- - - Updated - - -

Nissan hypes that the CVT was banned from F1 racing because of an advantage all all the time:
Also lol at making the regular AT sound shitty and harsh....way to be bias.

They forgot to mention that the Williams F1-intended CVT had to be rebuilt after every driving session. :p

Well, yeah. The original commercials this video parodies defy belief that they could actually find so many licensed drivers that were as stupid as depicted. :p

Fun transmission fact: in the 40s and 50s, Chrysler offered a manual transmission with a torque converter attached to the clutch/flywheel. It was called Fluid-Drive and while you had to use the clutch to change gear, the torque converter allowed you to take off from a dead stop without using the clutch. Convenient, but it predictably had very negative effect on acceleration. You could even get Fluid-Drive attached to a two-speed semi-auto (ie. vacuum/hydraulic-shifted manual) if you wanted to do even less clutch work.

Like I said low power ;)

At the time they came in, a 265hp V6 was on the higher end of the mainstream power scale - 2003. The CVT they put in the Maxima, Murano and Altima V6s was the first CVT that would take the power of a 3.5L V6 and could take exceptional torque loads for the day. 265hp (Maxima motor and pre-nerfing Altima) was 5hp more than the contemporary Mustang GT and the base Corvette only made 350. The base 911 of the day only made 315.

One interesting fact is that some of the Nissan CVTs incorporate a conventional torque converter.

I think it's generally acknowledged that the Nissan CVT is far and away the best of the USDM-available CVTs in any given era - but that's not exactly saying that much. When its durability is compared to regular automatics, it's about average or just below average. That's not great, but then you realize all the other CVTs tend to be down in the "OH GOD WHY" level of durability. :p

"Are you high right now?" :rofl:

Anyone else here the 'recommend me a car' guy in their social surroundings? Cause these are exactly the sort of conversations you get to have all the time.....

"Do not buy that one, wrong engine for your needs, boot to small, options you will never use....oh you really like the color....go ahead then "

"No, alu rims do not make it faster......because it's a 90 hp shitbox honey"

"That's not what cruise control means"

"No, no a hybrid still means you have to pay for petrol....no it does NOT make it from 'the electricity'.

Last edited:
I do love a 65 AMG, preferably a C215 in silver. Anyway, I got overtook by an old fella in an SL65. Who then booted it and overtook about 5 cars and then he was gone, what annoyed me was, the car made no sound at all. I'm not saying it needs straight pipes, but give it some noise ffs. You need to tell paupers you have a 6l twin turbo V12.

You are right. They can sound gorgeous though.

At the time they came in, a 265hp V6 was on the higher end of the mainstream power scale - 2003. The CVT they put in the Maxima, Murano and Altima V6s was the first CVT that would take the power of a 3.5L V6 and could take exceptional torque loads for the day. 265hp (Maxima motor and pre-nerfing Altima) was 5hp more than the contemporary Mustang GT and the base Corvette only made 350. The base 911 of the day only made 315.

One interesting fact is that some of the Nissan CVTs incorporate a conventional torque converter.

I think it's generally acknowledged that the Nissan CVT is far and away the best of the USDM-available CVTs in any given era - but that's not exactly saying that much. When its durability is compared to regular automatics, it's about average or just below average. That's not great, but then you realize all the other CVTs tend to be down in the "OH GOD WHY" level of durability. :p

I was being facetious, and yeah I know they are more or less the only company that figured it out sorta.

- - - Updated - - -

You are right. They can sound gorgeous though.

That sounds pretty terrible...