Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

I'm at the docks near a Vauxhall compound.
Why is this Insignia on noncy alloys?

263bw93.jpg

Those are actually GM steelies. The hubcaps have not yet been installed.

Yup. The wheel cover, once installed, is supposed to look like a alloy wheel but, surprise! it's a hubcap. The 7th gen Malibu (and it's Aura and G6 siblings) were the first to have this type of setup. I believe that the refresh of the first generation Fusion also got similar "Fauxlloy" wheel covers on mid level trims.

Yup. The wheel cover, once installed, is supposed to look like a alloy wheel but, surprise! it's a hubcap. The 7th gen Malibu (and it's Aura and G6 siblings) were the first to have this type of setup. I believe that the refresh of the first generation Fusion also got similar "Fauxlloy" wheel covers on mid level trims.

Hilariously, I actually kind of like them. If they were available in bolt patterns I cared about, I'd totally use them for winter wheels. Without the stupid covers, of course.

- - - Updated - - -

Just changed the oil on dad's truck. First change in... Well, since right after he bought it. So 2 years? 1.5?

Naturally the drain plug was rounded off when he started, and then he kept going until he had turned it into a finely polished circle with a set of vise grips. I really need to lock those things in a cabinet.

Cue me, a set of extractor sockets, a lot of hammering and cussing. From a 15mm bolt head down to a 12mm extractor socket and the fucker wouldn't turn without the Big Goddamn Impact Gun.

Man I wish I was ready to buy my Jeep/Miata replacement... but to do so I'dve needed to have already sold the Jeep and Miata.

I say that because I just found the closest thing to my ideal E91. Manual AND premium package. First time I've seen the two options together. And the mileage/price is on point. Only thing that could make the car perfect is if it was Tasman Green, but something tells me the number of green manual premium E91s in the US can be counted on one hand.
https://cargur.us/gMhRThttps://cargur.us/gMhRT

Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Welp, wifey saw what the new models have on offer.

We're getting a 2018 Odyssey. Somehow I have a feeling most here will laugh or snort in derision, whilst Rick gets genuinely jealous :lol:

You know what the craziest part of all this is? I'm perfectly okay with this. Hell, I'm looking forward to it. Same interior quality and nav as the existing Pilot that we loved, but with more practicality and (if 2017 prices are any indication) still 2 grand cheaper.

We're gonna be minivan people. Bring it on!

We're getting a 2018 Odyssey. Somehow I have a feeling most here will laugh or snort in derision, whilst Rick gets genuinely jealous :lol:

You know what the craziest part of all this is? I'm perfectly okay with this. Hell, I'm looking forward to it. Same interior quality and nav as the existing Pilot that we loved, but with more practicality and (if 2017 prices are any indication) still 2 grand cheaper.

Congrats! I am maybe kinda a little jealous. :p

The more I've seen the 2018, the more I've warmed to the styling. Reviews say it drives well, in typical Odyssey fashion, plus now it benefits from Honda's seemingly newfound focus on their SUV/Truck/Van interiors so it actually feels worthy of it's MSRP.

And Honda's Android based infotainment system continues to get better and better - the one in the Odyssey, as I'm sure you've tried, appears to be their best yet and looks great.

I'm sure you'll find out in due time just how much better a minivan works for family life than a crossover - the doors alone are worth any ribbing you'll get, not to mention the added benefits that a lower floor with a CUV height ceiling brings in accessibility.

It looks...poddy, is what I can say about the new Odyssey.

The more I've seen the 2018, the more I've warmed to the styling.

Minivans have styling to warm to?

I've mentally lumped minivans into the same category as vans and don't bother parsing their physical appearance beyond "van" or "minivan" :lol:

Minivans have styling to warm to?

I've mentally lumped minivans into the same category as vans and don't bother parsing their physical appearance beyond "van" or "minivan" :lol:

:lol: Some are more polarizing (last gen and current gen Odyssey, current/outgoing Quest, Pacifica) than others (Sienna, Sedona, etc.).

The last Odyssey was definitely a tolerate it or hate it design, with its "lightning bolt" beltline. The new one tones it down a bit.

Speaking of vans, I saw a slammed 2nd gen swb Transit Connect wagon the other day. Looked pretty good....

Denial, that's what you are experiencing now, denial :p

Seriously though, minivans, whatever, most women over here drive hatchback platform based 2x4 mini suv/softroader/whatever crap, to drive to and from the supermarket/their mothers house, just as well since these things get beaten by a puddle.....at the very least minivans are honest about what they are.

Last edited:

You poor bastard :p

- - - Updated - - -

:lol: Some are more polarizing (last gen and current gen Odyssey, current/outgoing Quest, Pacifica) than others (Sienna, Sedona, etc.).

The last Odyssey was definitely a tolerate it or hate it design, with its "lightning bolt" beltline. The new one tones it down a bit.

Speaking of vans, I saw a slammed 2nd gen swb Transit Connect wagon the other day. Looked pretty good....

I can't tell minivans and vans apart from each other either, I see them as moving obstacles to get around.

No I don't have pics... A white M4 cabrio, with BMW Motorsport stripes, from the bonnet, along the side and down the boot. This didn't look like vinyl, possibly painted. The driver was wearing a BMW Motorsport baseball cap backwards.

I doubt BMW Motorsport acknowledge cabrios... Also it looked shit.

:lmao: yes that's it, fuck me is that an option?

Edit: nope, these were just the top stripes and went down the boot.

Last edited:
I can't open that link, I'd describe the ones I saw as ribbony. They weren't straight lines.