Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

The nearest Lincoln dealer I tried to get an appointment with never even bothered to get back to (used an online form because calling is for pensioners). I'd also want them to replace the cruise control button while they are there, since you gotta take the airbag off to do that anyway.

Call them. I've never had lunch with those online service request forms. Not for Ford, not for Lincoln, not for Jeep, not for Audi. Remember that dealers are the equivalent of 90 year olds when it comes to using IT.

Call them. I've never had lunch with those online service request forms. Not for Ford, not for Lincoln, not for Jeep, not for Audi. Remember that dealers are the equivalent of 90 year olds when it comes to using IT.

I hate calling people

I hate calling people

Suck it up sweetheart.

Also on the topic of dealers, I don't understand the concept of allocations. Though this may be more of a OE/dealer relationship thing.

Dodge also has a strict allocation plan based on its experience with the Challenger and Charger SRT Hellcats. To be eligible to order a Demon, dealers must have sold more than one Hellcat in the last 12 months. Dealers will also only be able to order as many Demons as they are allocated. One of the factors considered in the allocation process is the number of Charger and Challenger models sold by a dealer, with a bias towards a higher number of Hellcats.

I don't understand that. Lets say I want to buy a Demon, but my local Dodge dealer hasn't sold any Hellcat's in the last year. Why should I as a customer be penalized for that by not being able to order the car. This isn't an FCA exclusive issue either. Back when I was ordering my Mustang, I had one dealer tell me they couldn't order the car I wanted, but they would gladly sell me a car off the lot because they were out of allocations for Mustangs. I somewhat understand limiting letting dealers load up with models for the lot that will then sit there for months, but if its a direct customer order, why prevent that customer from getting the car they want. For me it wasn't an issue since I have about 500 Ford dealers in the 5 square miles surrounding my apartment, but if I were still living in MA, it would've been a much bigger problem.

Suck it up sweetheart Buttercup.

Fixed that for you. I use that all the time.

Also on the topic of dealers, I don't understand the concept of allocations. Though this may be more of a OE/dealer relationship thing.

I don't understand that. Lets say I want to buy a Demon, but my local Dodge dealer hasn't sold any Hellcat's in the last year. Why should I as a customer be penalized for that by not being able to order the car. This isn't an FCA exclusive issue either. Back when I was ordering my Mustang, I had one dealer tell me they couldn't order the car I wanted, but they would gladly sell me a car off the lot because they were out of allocations for Mustangs. I somewhat understand limiting letting dealers load up with models for the lot that will then sit there for months, but if its a direct customer order, why prevent that customer from getting the car they want. For me it wasn't an issue since I have about 500 Ford dealers in the 5 square miles surrounding my apartment, but if I were still living in MA, it would've been a much bigger problem.

It is so one dealer can't just dominate the others nearby. It also is a pain in the ass for the customer.

It is so one dealer can't just dominate the others nearby. It also is a pain in the ass for the customer.

Fine, have allocations for dealer lot orders, but when you have a customer that walks in wanting to put money down on a special order, let them.

Fixed that for you. I use that all the time.
Was gonna say. Calling is dumb though.

Should scrap dealerships altogether and have direct company owned stores.

Should scrap dealerships altogether and have direct company owned stores.

One of the very few things I think Tesla is doing right.

Speaking of (I know I'm jumping topics a lot lately). Was on the phone with my dad, who is in no way a car guy and generally doesn't agree with my disdain for Tesla, when he saw a Model X up close for the first time. The first thing that caught his eye was the fact that the front and rear doors did not align, and that he was amazed Tesla would let something that bad go out the door. He mentioned how his 10 year old Toyota Rav4 with 220k miles has better panel alignment. I lol'ed. He texted me a picture of it, and its actually really bad. Far worse than a $82k (assuming its the cheapest model) car should be.

eQkEEaV.jpg

Last edited:
One of the very few things I think Tesla is doing right.
Pretty much.

Speak of (I know I'm jumping topics a lot lately). Was on the phone with my dad, who is in no way a car guy and generally doesn't agree with my disdain for Tesla, when he saw a Model X up close for the first time. The first thing that caught his eye was the fact that the front and rear doors did not align, and that he was amazed Tesla would let something that bad go. He mentioned how his 10 year old Toyota Rav4 with 220k miles has better panel alignment. I lol'ed. He texted me a picture of it, and its actually really bad. Far worse than a $82k (assuming its the cheapest model) car should be.

eQkEEaV.jpg

Pic no work

I saw a lady driving a Model X the other day, holding her phone to her head like some sort of damned filthy ape...

My goodness that sort of thing pisses me off. Knowing that every new car has Bluetooth, it's just ignorance.

Having my first job driving a white van, you get used to a certain position and it feels natural.

If your job involves a white van and being on the phone, you should be using a Bluetooth earpiece.

Next up in the saga of me complaining about dealer ineptitude....

Listening to the radio this morning, heard an ad for a dealer mention a somewhat reasonable price for an F150 without the usual fast talking at the end. Commercial said to visit the specials section of their website for details. Got to work, went to the dealer site.....

Sorry, no New specials are available at this time. Please contact us to check for the latest specials.

Sorry, no Finance specials are available at this time. Please contact us to check for the latest specials.

Its like the story with the Wrangler all over again where the dealer doesn't actually know what they are advertising.

If your job involves a white van and being on the phone, you should be using a Bluetooth earpiece.

If your job involves driving a white van, you need a new job :p

- - - Updated - - -

Next up in the saga of me complaining about dealer ineptitude....

Listening to the radio this morning, heard an ad for a dealer mention a somewhat reasonable price for an F150 without the usual fast talking at the end. Commercial said to visit the specials section of their website for details. Got to work, went to the dealer site.....

Its like the story with the Wrangler all over again where the dealer doesn't actually know what they are advertising.

Not to defend dealers but... Ad space is typically purchased in blocks, so it is conceivable that the ad is still being run even though promotion is over. Alternatively it's a premature ad.