Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Also, dealerships are slow to update their sites.

Not to defend dealers but... Ad space is typically purchased in blocks, so it is conceivable that the ad is still being run even though promotion is over. Alternatively it's a premature ad.

At least some of the dealers here have the ability to change ads on a daily basis. There was one Chevy dealer that ran date specific ads that changed every day for a week. Its my understanding that they buy the block, but can change what they broadcast willy nilly. So lets assume the promotion is over - go back to just advertising how awesome your dealer is, rather than a deal that doesn't exist. Or, time your deals to coincide with your advertising blocks. Those are dealer defenses but excuses.

Also, dealerships are slow to update their sites.

Not an excuse. Update the site to reflect the advertised deals BEFORE the advertisement goes live. I can't be the only one getting pissed off by these practices.

Since we're talking about dealer ads, this classic needs to be posted.

If your job involves a white van and being on the phone, you should be using a Bluetooth earpiece.

This was also 7-8 years ago when it wasn't that widespread to have blueteeth

At least some of the dealers here have the ability to change ads on a daily basis. There was one Chevy dealer that ran date specific ads that changed every day for a week. Its my understanding that they buy the block, but can change what they broadcast willy nilly. So lets assume the promotion is over - go back to just advertising how awesome your dealer is, rather than a deal that doesn't exist. Or, time your deals to coincide with your advertising blocks. Those are dealer defenses but excuses.

The ability to do this varies greatly by the media company and even the individual station. In the DFW market, there are stations that will allow you to put anything up without much review on a daily basis and there are others that require two weeks' evaluation for any ad or changed ad. This can lead to both humorous and legally embarrassing events on both ends of the spectrum.

Not an excuse. Update the site to reflect the advertised deals BEFORE the advertisement goes live. I can't be the only one getting pissed off by these practices.

They may very well have done so and simply sold through the specials while the block of ad time was still playing out.

- - - Updated - - -

It should also be mentioned that the makers like Ford *could* police their dealers better and force them to obey better policies. But they don't for the most part - and whose fault is that, again?

t

NSFW!

Accompanied dad to the Volvo dealer as he bought a Volvo and while he did paperwork I and sat around a bit in Renaults (because of history, Volvo and Renault share dealerships). I have now concluded Renault, being frenchmen constantly drunk on wine, design every car without seat heaters and then go through the same shock everytime: "le whiny northerners say we must put in de radiateurs de si?ges - where put le button?"

Kadjar: underneath the armrest (wut), pointing forwards (towards the center console). So to see what level you're at, you turn your head down and back. Very safe.
Clio: on the seat base between the seat and the door (as it's impossible to see, it's only got one level, so not as bad as the Kadjar, altough awkward since you have to guess the position with your hand)
Talisman and Megane: on the center console (like a normal car! Crazy! You can see the level at a quick clance.)
Zoe: a rolling wheel at the side of the center console that you roll a few times. I don't mind the wheel, but again the most awkward position ever.

Oddly, they do the same thing with the cruise control switch. Is it on the wheel? By the parking brake? Next to the gear lever? In the glovebox? You never know with Renault.

Last edited:
For shits and giggles, I went on their site the other day only to come away with the realization that they're trying to out-Peugeot Peugeot. None of their cars are terribly handsome and they've all but killed the Renaultsport line up that made them awesome to me throughout the previous decade.

None of their cars are terribly handsome and they've all but killed the Renaultsport line up that made them awesome to me throughout the previous decade.

Sadly GTI-like cars for young people who want "spordyness" during city-drives in their life sell better (Clio 4 RS, Megane 4 RS) than what were essentialy tracktools (Megane 3 RS, Clio 3 RS; yuck, that word) from the factory.

Teslas sure are flimsy... At the car wash today one was getting washed and every panel flexes like crazy even side mirrors, with barely any force applied

TIL you could get this on a Cayenne as an accessory. Not sure if I like it. :|

cayennespare.jpg

cayenne.jpg

The 2003 facelift gave it such a derpy face, not that the previous one was all that dignified.