Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Cut the tank straps. New ones are cheap. I long ago gave up attempting to salvage tank straps if new ones were available - I found out that most makers consider tank straps to be single use only items that should be replaced if you're replacing a tank.

Cutting the strap won't fix the issue i have. If i cut it, i wouldnt be able to install the new strap since the bolt would still be stuck. The straps are attached by a single bolt on one side and have a T-shape on the other end to hold up that side.

Cutting the strap won't fix the issue i have. If i cut it, i wouldnt be able to install the new strap since the bolt would still be stuck. The straps are attached by a single bolt on one side and have a T-shape on the other end to hold up that side.

Yes, but if you cut the straps, you often have more room to get to the formerly captive nut on the back of the crossmember. They're usually deliberately designed that way because the gas tank strap hardware rusts up fairly often.

Yes, but if you cut the straps, you often have more room to get to the formerly captive nut on the back of the crossmember. They're usually deliberately designed that way because the gas tank strap hardware rusts up fairly often.

Ok, i see what youre suggesting now. ill take a look when its light tomorrow and see if thats possible on the yukon. thanks

I'm just looking at what I can afford and I'm surprised that you can find an SHO for that.

Gotcha. I just think that a used CTS V-Sport is a much better car for a little bit more money.

Pay no attention to the fact that I test drove one today and it was FUCKING AWESOME.

So, when's the Vic the going away? :D

Possibly by the end of the year, I may end up keeping it if it ends up being cheaper to insure it in addition to whatever I end up getting.

I'm just looking at what I can afford and I'm surprised that you can find an SHO for that.

My parents have a 2010 SHO, they are good cars for what they are. Ford is in no way trying to compete with the Charger or SS which is a shame the powertrain is very capable of keeping up with the more muscle car focused sedans it doesn't take much to have a reliable 450 hp SHO.

When my parents were in town earlier in the month I lined up next to my dad on a slight incline knowing exactly what he had in mind, he jumped me slightly off the line but it didn't take long for the torque of the LS3 to reel him in looking back I should have use launch control. :D

If you can live with the cocoon interior I would say go for it, seriously though that interior is cramped for the size of that car.

If you can live with the cocoon interior I would say go for it, seriously though that interior is cramped for the size of that car.

That is my biggest gripe about the current Taurus, the thing is stunningly space inefficient. I hated the bunker like interior.

I guess another gripe is that it can't quite measure up to the spryness of the original SHO's but I know it's a different size class and weighs considerably more. The Fusion Sport is great but apparently isn't that sporty either when it comes to handling. :(

The irony? - the "faux B5 Passat" shaped predecessor on the same platform had acres of space.

93Flareside - imagine if you will a metallic brown ecoboost Ford Flex with a white roof, pre refresh front end, lowered just a tad on coilovers and on cool, non blingy wheels - maybe TE37esque styled...

At least for me, that would be kickass, but I'm weird as fuck.

Also, the SHO looks much better. :p

Yeah, I've driven an SEL trimmed model. Not bad, I could live with it. Trunk I swear is bigger than the Crown Vic.

Thought this was clever of Auto Trader when I was searching for a Taurus.

Of course. Even if I do kind of like those. Don't know why...

Of course. Even if I do kind of like those. Don't know why...

Timeless styling, classy yet simple interior with SUV inspired "Command Seating," excellent MPG when you get one with a CVT, supposed non CVT reliability (although a google search says otherwise oddly enough) with the 6 speed auto on uplevel FWD trims, depressed resale value, drives decent enough.

It appeals to one's logical "boring" senses, but probably not to most people's (me excluded because I'm as bland as white bread) "excitement" senses.

- - - Updated - - -

I've complained about deceptive dealer advertisement on here before - how its almost impossible to qualify for the advertised price. My personal run-ins with this were when I called a dealer about a $139/mo Jeep Wrangler lease and after a while was told that the best price I'd qualify for was $359/mo and a F150 lease attempt after I saw an ad for $153/mo, but after driving out to the dealer was told that it would be $229/mo because I didn't meet some of the stipulations. This though is blatantly the worst case I've ever seen. Hat-tip to LCG for finding this (I'm sure it had nothing to do with the new SRT on the forum :p).

http://www.chapmanchryslerjeeppenns...allenger-a06daa4a0a0e0ae80954dfcc13728e22.htm

At first sight, you see a R/T Challenger for just over $23k. Seems like an awesome deal. But then you get to the incentives...

Lets break that down. To qualify for the advertised price, you need to meet all of the following condition
  • You need to currently be leasing an FCA vehicle and be turning it in
  • Be a USAA member (auto insurance, banking, investing)
  • Have a credit score below 620
  • Have a conquest lease (note how this is likely mutually exclusive with the first item)
  • Be in the military
  • Be a realtor
  • And have a 2005 or new vehicle

Good luck finding someone who qualifies for all those those items. Aka the advertised price is impossible to get for most customers looking to get into a new car.

Here is another example from the same dealer

http://www.chapmanchryslerjeeppenns...Cherokee-d915444c0a0e0ae819cfeb621ba681fa.htm

Almost $13k off a Grand Cherokee? Sounds fantastic! Oh wait....

This time you need to be a female business owner, realtor in the army with a FCA lease and a competitive lease. Fuck you Chapman Chrysler Jeep. Find me a customer that actually qualifies and I'll eat my shoe (figuratively).

I'm so fed up with this deceptive bullshit to get people in the door. The advertised price should be what is attainable by 51% of customers. List the price with the bonus cash that everyone is eligible for, and then say "other incentives may apply, see dealer" or something similar.

/rant

Tom McParland from Jalopnik found a similar ad when looking for a car for a client: http://jalopnik.com/this-dealership-is-actually-offering-a-bad-credit-score-1796510782

It seems like it's a FCA thing to do a bad credit discount....

Last edited: