Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

See my avatar for the answer.

How would you go about insuring a Roush or Saleen Mustang? Do you tell them it's a standard GT or do they have separate categories for the Saleen or Roush cars.

I'd guess you would tell your insurer that it is a modified car and they would determine the cost of the insurance for the vehicle and mods based on some internal algorithm. Or you could go through a specialty insurer like Hagerty which specializes in cars like that.

Interestingly enough does not seem to have the option of either, I would think it would be standard GT and then you add "custom equipment" if you wanted comprehensive coverage.

I'm actually surprise Roush isn't on the standard list as they try to be as legitimate of a manufacturer as possible and they sell A LOT of Roush built Mustangs and F150s. They even go as far as EPA testing their cars, which is not something Saleen or Shelby American do with their versions of the Mustang.

I wouldn't tell them unless asked about it.

I wouldn't tell them unless asked about it.

That could backfire if you ever need to make a claim. If you have a $50k Roush thats insured as a $30k GT and you need to make a claim that needs to replace some Roush unique components, you'll be SOL.

My first salvage Excursion hunting trip led me to the conclusion that they might be a wee bit tippy.

Damage categories are all basically
"Flipped the fuck over"
or
"Looks like a bomb went off"

There seems to be a relative lack of "Engine blowed up" for something that shipped with the 6.0.

Loads and loads and loads of repairable V10's, though....

The V10 was next in line for "least reliable engine" in the Excursion and SD. The 6.0 was worse, though.

As for why you're seeing a lot of rolled Excursions, down here rust doesn't eat them, we don't generally get snowed in and we're not Pennsylvania so the trucks have a chance to hit their terminal mileage.

I couldn't believe how much people are charging for the 7.3l's. Around here I'm seeing no less than 10k for a good one.

I just like the sound of those old Detroit diesels.

The sound of silence after they throw a rod through the block? Or the Pump Mounted Driver fries because GM was dumb and mounted the heat-sensitive computer in the middle of the vee?

- - - Updated - - -

$10k is basically minimum for any running private sale diesel truck no matter the condition.

Maybe in your market. Not where they're common.

https://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/cto/d/ford-powerstroke/6213449350.html
https://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/cto/d/ford/6194380509.html
https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/d/ford-powerstroke-speed/6216926310.html
https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/d/ford-x/6181593261.html
https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/d/ford-x/6203789661.html

Added benefit: Little to no rust.

Last edited:
The old 2 stroke Detroits are very cool sounding.

Or the Pump Mounted Driver fries because GM was dumb and mounted the heat-sensitive computer in the middle of the vee?

I'd like to find the engineer responsible for that idea and give them a stern talking to...

Oh, not full Jesus crucifixion?

Oh, not full Jesus crucifixion?

No, because when the PMD fails you can buy a relocation kit with heat sink and move the module elsewhere relatively easily.

Full Roman crucifixion is reserved for the idiots at GM that managed to "upgrade" and "harden" the classic 4L60E into the 4L65E and somewhere in the process made it an unreliable POS.

But when the aforementioned four-speed in our Silverado fell on its own sword in the middle of traffic that Sunday morning, we lost all confidence in the Chevy.

Over a period of several weeks we had noticed a hard 1-2 shift while the transmission was cold. Once it warmed up, the shift action smoothed out. There were no signs of impending doom, so when we took the Silverado to Santa Monica Chevrolet-Buick for routine service, we asked the service personnel to look over the transmission.

After two days we called for an update. We were told the 3-4 clutch was losing hydraulic pressure and the piston was replaced under warranty. The technicians also reconditioned the transmission. When we reminded our trusty service advisor that the problem was with the 1-2 shift and off-neutral gear engagement, he assured us this was the proper fix. We picked up the truck and two miles later a hard 1-2 shift served as proof that the original issue remained.

We brought it back a few days later and were told by Santa Monica Chevrolet-Buick, "There is no problem. That is just how the truck shifts." Days later the problem came to a head with Senior Photographer Scott Jacobs at the wheel. Jacobs' voice was shaky on the phone. "The Silverado is parked at the office. The transmission locked up on me during a 2-3 shift. It screeched and lurched to a stop on Wilshire Boulevard. Drive doesn't work. Third doesn't work. Second doesn't work. First and reverse sort of work. The office was only a couple of blocks away so I was able to limp it back. An hour later and I'd have been on the Interstate 5 freeway headed to the Dodgers game. That was lucky."

GM Roadside Assistance came to our rescue, towing the Silverado from the office to the local Santa Monica dealership. We called to confirm the status of the vehicle later that afternoon. The advisor was surprisingly frank with his diagnosis. "We've had a rash of these lately...with the input housing busting as the mileage gets up there. It should be ready by end of day tomorrow." The forward sprag was replaced, the transmission again reconditioned and keys to the Silverado were back in our hands the next day.

Good news was that all gears worked again. The bad news was that the transmission didn't shift any smoother after this repair than before. We later learned there was an open technical service bulletin from Chevrolet about this issue. It made us wonder, if the dealer had already noted a "rash" of these transmission failures, why hadn't the sprag been replaced to begin with?

And the then-infamous picture from the above quoted Edmunds review, since gone down the memory hole on their site:

Last edited:
7 years ago, I bought a cheap 50cc scooter for ?70. Drove it now and then, then put it in a shed and forgot about it. Today I sold it... for ?70. It might be one of the few deals that didn't cost me any money.

@Diesels: Personally, I really liker the sound of the 6BT diesel they fit in rams back in the '90s. To the point I would...consider at least, owning a ram just to get the sound.

Years of being ferried around school things by 2L diesels also means that I found their sound comforting

TICXbWV.png

Oh yes, lets have an event that mixes cars and alcohol. Fucking brilliant idea.