Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

If by "stuck," you mean "tried really hard to get it stuck but actually drove out on its own with a little effort."

Of course the all wheel drive is not as capable as true four wheel drive, but that specific circumstance is only solved by a locking differential.

There is a temporary fix for that. Step on the brake lightly and it should then be enough to get both wheels turning in the right direction.

Weak headgaskets and glass automatic transmissions take a lot of Subarus off said lists for a lot of people.

Both of those problems were real at one time, but both have been addressed. I had well over 120k miles on the Forester when Bubba Redneck hit me with his 4WD Silverado and attached trailer. At the time, the car was 11 years old and neither the engine nor transmission had been opened for any service other than a timing belt/tensioner/water pump service at 105k. I hauled big loads of both rally/autocross equipment and mulch/topsoil/etc. and pulled any number of much larger vehicles back onto the road in winter and at rallies. I'm just as happy with my current WRX. Disclaimer: I'm not at all infatuated with Subaru's switch to CVTs - to me, it's a cop-out, but I doubt that most of the people who buy mainstream Subarus (fading oxymoron?) have any idea of what's transmitting the power. Manuals are generally still available, but you won't find many on dealers' lots.

Like most other vehicles, choosing proper tires for your 4WD/AWD is the single most important factor in staying mobile in adverse conditions. I'll have to admit that I'm a wheel/tire whore... I'll usually pick up sets of wheels for cars that I own if the price is right. I do need to sell off some of the collection. I'd guess that there are currently 80+ wheels and 100+ tires in the garages. Anyone need a set of 13x7 Minilites for an RX-2 thru early RX-7???

All4now
SL

Last edited:
The CR-V is actually AWD not 4WD... and it gets stuck in some pretty lame circumstances.

What the CR-V really is is the second coming of the Civic tall wagon with AWD. From what I've heard from CR-V owners over the years, the AWD is really kind of a joke on the thing.

You're also forgetting that the third gen on have the craptacular 5 speed automatic. Remember how that one goes?

You may also want to look again at the CR-V's common issues - the drivetrain other than the 5 speed autos seems to be pretty solid, but they do seem to have electrical problems. The second-generation-on CR-V often requires special factory tools to replace things, IIRC. I'll contact my Honda master mechanic contact to get more info on the CR-V.

Yeah I knew it was less capable AWD and not 4WD. Even the system on 2nd gen models doesn't perform well. I knew it was garbage on the later ones but figured the earlier ones were ok. I mean if i got one i'd primarily use the AWD to get out of my parking space and down a snow/ice packed alleyway.

The space is on a incline as well so if shit freezes over and the CR-V is unable to climb it, as many videos describe, it doesn't do much good. Then again, the neighbor has a Element and a 3rd gen CR-V and doesn't seem to have issues. :hmm: They, however, tend to park out front of their house not out back.

Parking out front isn't a option for me - the tenants downstairs claimed those spots (aside - it's hilarious how one of them breaks the "one car" rule because his job gives him a truck in addition to his personal vehicle but that's neither here nor there...) and are extremely territorial about it - understandable considering that's the only benefit to living in this shithole and having to share it with 3 or 4 strangers....

Anyway, where was I? Oh yeah, sideways sliding along the alleyway (or sliding backward because the CUV/SUV can't climb) because of shit AWD can't happen either, because of this:

lWztTTl.jpg

That blue? Yeah that's the creek. It's down a embankment and not shielded by fencing. Cars have fallen in before. Circled in red is where I have to park.

@rick

What's your obsession with a sun roof? I had one on the Audi and used it a grand total of 4 times in as many years.

I love the brightness one brings into the interior. I also like opening it on warm days + if you vent it and roll down a rear window, you can get a really nice cross breeze going on nice days.

Nah. Sunroofs are cool.

Some people are just really into daylight. Leaving them uncovered really changes the interior character of a car.

The air is kind of secondary.

Especially cars with dark gray and black interiors. My rental Charger felt like a cave with no sunroof.

I like having a sunroof. On a cool evening I open all the windows, the sunroof and the back glass. Then go for a drive.

Sunroofs are meh. Pano roofs are cool. I actually open them a lot when I drive cars with them.

NnFuuqt.png

f3xOgbo.png

clzh7sC.gif

Weak headgaskets and glass automatic transmissions take a lot of Subarus off said lists for a lot of people.

This is honestly the main reason why Subarus aren't on my list despite my coworkers (yes multiple coworkers have drunk the Subaru kool-aid and are even "Subaru Ambassadors") attempts at persuasion.

Last edited:
This is honestly the main reason why Subarus aren't on my list despite my coworkers (yes multiple coworkers have drunk the Subaru kool-aid and are even "Subaru Ambassadors") attempts at persuasion.

The only used Subaru that should ever be on anyone's list is....

DgqQy7r.png

The only used Subaru that should ever be on anyone's list is....

DgqQy7r.png

One of the coworkers (and the main one trying to convince me to go subaru) drives a yellow/silver Baja with a stick.

Still. Not. Interested. Even though that looks really good.

The only one i'd consider would be a 2nd gen Forester and even then I'd rather have a XJ tbh.

Last edited:
One of the coworkers (and the main one trying to convince me to go subaru) drives a yellow/silver Baja with a stick.

Still. Not. Interested. Even though that looks really good.

The only one i'd consider would be a 2nd gen Forester and even then I'd rather have a XJ tbh.

Baja + EJ257 swap. 10/10 would project.

I love the brightness one brings into the interior. I also like opening it on warm days + if you vent it and roll down a rear window, you can get a really nice cross breeze going on nice days.

Have you perhaps considered finding a Jeep ZJ Grand Cherokee? They did make some 4.0 ones with a manual and they could have an optional sunroof.

Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Have you perhaps considered finding a Jeep ZJ Grand Cherokee? They did make some 4.0 ones with a manual and they could have an optional sunroof.

I didn?t actually. ZJ 5 speeds are rare as hell though. Only a few hundred in 93 were made according to the inter webs.

Edit - what about the WJ? It doesn?t have a stick but that?s not a requirement for me.

Last edited:
Rick, you should totally get an old Discovery. Two tilt/slide sunroofs which not only offer a nice breeze but can offer some nice cooling or humidifying water when it rains. :p

Proper 4WD though. Not sure how many 5 speeds were sold in the US though, most were probably slushboxes.

Last edited:
Rick, you should totally get an old Discovery. Two tilt/slide sunroofs which not only offer a nice breeze but can offer some nice cooling or humidifying water when it rains. :p

Proper 4WD though. Not sure how many 5 speeds were sold in the US though, most were probably slushboxes.

Fuckkkkkkk that noise. Discovery - bad joojoo.

I might as well take my money and light it on fire.

No offense but the reliability here on those is nigh criminally bad at best.

I didn?t actually. ZJ 5 speeds are rare as hell though. Only a few hundred in 93 were made according to the inter webs.

Edit - what about the WJ? It doesn?t have a stick but that?s not a requirement for me.

Expensive automatic transmission of glass. My friend had one for 80K - it ate two transmissions that were replaced under extended/aftermarket warranty. When the last replacement one started to fail he unloaded the truck and bought something else.

I did a 0-something-0 video with the A5. Cause that's the popular thing to do, right?

Am I popular yet, guys?

Guys?

Needs more dramatic close-ups of the speedometer.
Also, no nodding when stopping. :p :lol:

I might as well take my money and light it on fire.

No offense but the reliability here on those is nigh criminally bad at best.

Aww, I thought that was the point all along. :p

Shame that the US didn't get the diesels, the early ones lack the V8 and electrics that make them unreliable. Gutless by US standards though unless tweaked.

Baja + EJ257 swap. 10/10 would project.

Baja, AKA Outback with no cover on the wagon part. Also Rick AWD/4WD is pointless in the described conditions w/o proper tires. As far as my experience with either type goes, AWD is best if you mostly drive on road and just want some extra traction when things get wet/snowy. 4WD especially with low range and locking diffs will get you in and out of very bad spots that AWD won't but it's nearly unusable on pavement.

Last edited:
I mean, if you want to go full Rick, just give the 2.5L Subarus a miss. The other ones are fine.

And I have two perfectly cromulent EJ22's about to get bagged up and shoved in a corner.

And anything in the Beginning-2007 Impreza and Beginning-?? Legacy chassis, I have extensive parts stocks.

If you want to trial the Subaru mechanical life, come on down on the 21st, we're filming a parts car teardown.

#badinfluence

Last edited: