Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Last edited:
The 124 Abarth looks really nice. I wonder how much it costs in Europe.

*goes to Abarth.de*

Holy fucking shit! The Regular FIAT 124 Spyder is ?25.000 (not bad) while the Abarth is ?40.000!:blink:

Aviator requires premium fuel so, if you're cool with that...

Those things get shit mileage too. Nearly if not worse than the hemi Grand Cherokee if that time frame.

They?re not that bad!

- every Subaru owner I?ve talked to.

Just curious do they use a different head gasket design on the STi engine? in the 7.5 years and 65k miles I had my 07 STi the only things I had to change were the clutch, transmission and rear diff fluid along with the plugs. Had I kept it much longer the stock clutch would have needed changed as well.

Last edited:
Aviator requires premium fuel so, if you're cool with that...

Those things get shit mileage too. Nearly if not worse than the hemi Grand Cherokee if that time frame.

You realize he drives a 5 liter Mustang right? :p

- - - Updated - - -

Ehhh, I can park whatever I want as close to the door as I want.

I've seen that RR, I think I'll pass. Though the masochist in me was thinking about a P38A.

Why not Pathfinder/Xterra/Armada?

Actually, this reminds me - I was in Montana a few weeks ago and the house I stayed at was on a small dead end dirt road. The main road has a speed limit of 60mph so everyone drives 70mph on it and it's one lane in each direction. Imagine having to turn onto that road from a stop sign - cars are gaining on you very fast and there's no lane for them to pass. I had to floor the 300hp rental Explorer every time and always cursed it for being too slow.

Ran into this in FL with the Mazda 2 - My Grandparents gated community entrance/exit turns onto a divided highway where people just go 65 mph. Right turns were fine due to a acceleration lane we could use before merging into traffic. Left turns where you had to cross into the center island then turn left directly into the "fast" lane were interesting experiences with a modern subcompact car tied to a inefficient 4 speed autobox with the AC on and 3 grown men inside. :lol:

I did alright by myself with the Saturn but it's nice to have the reserve power that a more performant car provides.

I'm starting to get more and more worried about my Jeep making it through the winter. I don't know why, but over the last few weeks, the rust has increased tenfold and I haven't even been driving it. Its not just the rust spreading from known issue areas either (like the rockers), but its starting to pop up all over under the paint. I have some above my doors, on my quarter panels, roof line, pillars and a bunch of other places that didn't seem to have a problem just a few weeks ago. Not sure why all of a sudden this started happening. My wheels also just started rusting at the weld seem, and of course they're 4ish months out of warranty. Combined with the findings Rick is making on his XJ, I'm thinking I should dump the thing sooner than later too. I did check various suspension mount points and at least they still look and feel solid.

I love how we're essentially dumping our shitbox Jeeps at the same time. :lol: :comfort:

I noticed a cluster of rust pop up right by the windshield frame a while back and the rockers aren't getting any better.... :lol: Abandon ship now, IMO.

Actually, this reminds me - I was in Montana a few weeks ago and the house I stayed at was on a small dead end dirt road. The main road has a speed limit of 60mph so everyone drives 70mph on it and it's one lane in each direction. Imagine having to turn onto that road from a stop sign - cars are gaining on you very fast and there's no lane for them to pass. I had to floor the 300hp rental Explorer every time and always cursed it for being too slow.

One of many reasons why I hate the Patriot. It's downright scary pulling out into 55mph+ traffic. Luckily today, the road I had to turn on to had a center left turn lane I could sit in and find a gap. At least at that point I wasn't fighting opposing lanes of traffic. I could focus on just finding a gap and getting up to speed.

Just curious do they use a different head gasket design on the STi engine? in the 7.5 years and 65k miles I had my 07 STi the only things I had to change were the clutch, transmission and rear diff fluid along with the plugs. Had I kept it much longer the stock clutch would have needed changed as well.
The head gaskets are a 65-150k mile affair. Coincidentally about the same as the timing belt. It shows up less often as a complaint for STIs because boyracer idiots lunch turbos with such frequency that it just never comes up on those cars.

The last revision factory gasket also wasn't too bad, and the 07s got them.

How did "lunch" become the phrase for destroying engine parts?

How did "lunch" become the phrase for destroying engine parts?

If you look at said destroyed engine parts, sometimes they look like something bit parts off of or just ate them. Not a big jump between "looks like it got eaten" and "lunched."

"My engine lunched on its pistons" evolved until it became "I lunched my engine."

Speaking of ?AC on?, I?ve never had AC affect performance, at least not noticeably. And that includes my moms Corolla with the 1.4 making two-digit horsepower.

Speaking of ?AC on?, I?ve never had AC affect performance, at least not noticeably. And that includes my moms Corolla with the 1.4 making two-digit horsepower.
It was noticable on my 4cyl cars but the V6s never cared. The auto climate control in my 3.2L Acura is so good that I just leave it in auto mode most of the time and let it do it's own thing - it turns AC on and off seamlessly with no effect on performance or driveability.

It was noticable on my 4cyl cars but the V6s never cared. The auto climate control in my 3.2L Acura is so good that I just leave it in auto mode most of the time and let it do it's own thing - it turns AC on and off seamlessly with no effect on performance or driveability.

Add to it, I noticed it more in older cars, parents Buick and my Subaru had a noticeable drop in performance with A/C on (Buick was a V6 tho made same power as the scoob). A4 I had the A/C did make a bit of a difference but since it was turbo it basically translated to boosting a little earlier due to extra load so net result was about the same.

Z, X and Stang never notice it on.

The only reason people wouldn't notice the W124 A/C unit is because it's never off by default. And when it's actually off it feels like I gained 40hp, which is probably more accurate than it should...