Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Replaced air filter in the Mustang (stock for stock) pretty sure I gained some hp from how nasty old one was

The FJ-100 and -200 are stupidly heavy. By the time you get front and rear bumpers, sliders, some mild skids, and a roof rack on you are probably already over the GVW before you even load any stuff inside. The FZJ-80 was, in my mind, the king of the Land Cruisers followed by the 40-series. I would put the 70-series on the list, but I have no first hand knowledge of them.

Is $20,000 for a stick shift Jetta GLI with 3,000 miles on it a bad idea?

Your idea of a good car is boring.

More to the point, how can you possibly on a car that's nearly a year old?

Last edited:
A Jetta is exciting?

The interior compared to what I current own and drive on a day to day basis, yes.

Your idea of a good car is boring.

More to the point, how can you possibly on a car that's nearly a year old?

Because local dealers are selling brand new Jetta GLIs for $20K out the door sometimes? Used car for same price as a new one of the exact same make, model and generation doesn't strike me as the greatest idea. Also, seriously, an X300 XJR is 'boring'????

Last edited:
Gotcha.

I've heard good things about GLI's. Supposed to be very similar to a Golf GTI, which is often called "fun" by certain fat old Brits I watch on TV occasionally.

Why are there no Brazilian imports in America? There are plenty of run of the mill JDM and Euro imports on the market. JDM vans that aren't anything special or Euro sedans that are similar to the US alternatives.

I want to see cars like these crazy Brazil only offerings

Ford F-1000

Ford Del Ray shooting brake

Ford F-75

Chevy Brasinica

Chevy Marajo shooting brake

Local made American branded products for the local market. I'm not doubting that they're not great, but half the JDM stuff that gets shipped over here isn't great either. Would be interesting to get something unique along those lines. I'd love to show up to an employee car show in Dearborn in one of those goofy looking F-1000s.

EDIT: Thought of one more Brazil special, though not an 'American' one.

VW SP2

Last edited:
Just like any other car...

A hot hatch can be fun (and even if a Jetta is not a hatch, it's the same basic principe). I just don't get why anyone would want a hot hatch in cheap V8 country.

I just don't get why anyone would want a hot hatch in cheap V8 country.

That?s all I?ve owned. I want to change it up.