Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

LiveToWin;n3542101 said:
Yokohama Advan Sports are amazing... But possibly bad luck. Put them on the Hyundai and got rear ended a couple days later (almost a month ago now). The car has since been repaired, but the urge to sell/trade it and get something new is growing. It might be time to set some more money on fire and get a new more exciting car.

Left over 2017 Mustang GT?

DO EEEEET

LiveToWin;n3542101 said:
Yokohama Advan Sports are amazing... But possibly bad luck. Put them on the Hyundai and got rear ended a couple days later (almost a month ago now). The car has since been repaired, but the urge to sell/trade it and get something new is growing. It might be time to set some more money on fire and get a new more exciting car.

Left over 2017 Mustang GT?

Yes!

Sport tires on a truck that is used as a truck? I will take a pass.

I don?t know what all the fuss is about. A Jeep Patriot with Kelly Edge A/S seems sufficient for snowy conditions at 45-60mph. Meanwhile, Wisconsin drivers either were off the road in ditches or driving incredibly slow.

GRtak;n3542099 said:
The little bit of driving I did today in the snow confirms that I need new tires on the truck. I also need a limited slip differential. Or I can park it for the winter.

I'm running Goodyear Duratrac's on the K5 and they are excellent. Great snow performance, decent ice grip, great in the mud too, and they are even wearing pretty good (so far, I've put about 15000 miles on them, and while they dont look new still, they still have a lot of life left)
They are pretty aggressive looking though, and while they were very quiet when they were new, they do howl a little bit now (though not nearly as much as the BFG A/T KO2's on my dads jeep, those are suuper noisy)

I've had Bridgestone Duravis M773 all-seasons on my 4WD Chevy pickup for the last 5+ years . These are 'commercial' grade tires and are a bit more expensive than the usual 'LT' (light truck) tire. That said, I've been very happy with them and can confirm that they have good traction in snow. I'll probably have to replace them next year, but I'll definitely consider another set.

SL

Last edited:
93Flareside;n3542117 said:
I don?t know what all the fuss is about. A Jeep Patriot with Kelly Edge A/S seems sufficient for snowy conditions at 45-60mph. Meanwhile, Wisconsin drivers either were off the road in ditches or driving incredibly slow.

What fuss? I just made a comment about needing new tires. Just as big of an issue is the standard differential. It is almost impossible to get any traction through one tire when it is sloppy or icy.

Your Patriot and my truck are very different vehicles, as are the tires needed for them.

I am not ready to buy new tires at this point. I do appreciate the suggestions. I don't drive the truck much, about 3500 miles a year, and that is mostly in the summer and fall. I will drive it a few times during the winter, but generally speaking, only on clear days when the salt is gone.

Oh, I wasn?t directing my post at you. I drove across northern Wisconsin today from Minneapolis to Eau Claire, then to Milwaukee and posting what I experienced in the process.

Most people are impatient idiots, combine that with adverse weather and you have problems with crashes or molasses like drivers.

I've got the Firestone Destination LE 2 SL on the X right now, haven't really driven in snow to comment on how good/bad they are. Of course with 4WD and locking diffs traction is not difficult to come by.

Someone I know bought a new VW Transporter a few years ago when the Biturbo TDI first came out. Paid through the nose for it with some options ticked. A few years later (2017) it burned 30 liters of oil between oil changes, so he... bought a new one.

Imagine if it had been a Peugeot. He would've sworn off French cars for life and made sure to tell the story every time the subject is brought up.

Someone I know bought a new VW Transporter a few years ago when the Biturbo TDI first came out. Paid through the nose for it with some options ticked. A few years later (2017) it burned 30 liters of oil between oil changes, so he... bought a new one.

Imagine if it had been a Peugeot. He would've sworn off French cars for life and made sure to tell the story every time the subject is brought up.

... is your friend German and trying to maintain a sort of loyalty or national pride?

I know my brother does. His ‘02 Silverado pickup has had three transmissions, a new rear diff center section, and HVAC controls. Now, the 5.3 is known for having a slight tick much like a diesel but, it’s now gotten to the point that replacing over a quart of normal oil with Lucas oil is the only solution to quiet it down. He pulled the valve covers and noticed there’s more than usual gap on the lifters. I don’t think he’s even got 180,000 miles on it yet. His solution? Replace oil pump because he thinks he has low flow due to the gauge not reading what he likes. I’ve seen it and i have no idea what he means. Idle the pressure gauge on the dash reads just under 40psi. Under load it goes up to around 50. Seems fine to me. For years that truck has consumed a quart of oil between 3,000mi changes. I don’t know what he likes about the truck. I liked my flareside but, there’s a point to where it’s time to replace it. Hell, if you like that one so much, go south and find one with no rust. The only thing I can think of is, it’s his second ever vehicle and it was after a botched engine rebuild with a 94 bronco that he got the truck. It was an ex plow truck which should have been red flag #1.

Last edited:
ScarFace88;n3542290 said:

Not to be outdone, Sears announced that they were launching a new in-house delivery service to compete with Amazon using only hybrid topless sports vehicles. Unfortunately, what they bought was a fleet of Kettenkrads - a hybrid of a motorcycle and a tracked vehicle.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/upload.wikimedia.org\/wikipedia\/commons\/3\/34\/Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-725-0184-22%2C_Russland%2C_Soldaten_auf_Kettenkrad.jpg"}[/IMG2]

:p

Last edited:
Going back to tires:
I still haven't put the snows on the BRZ.

Hell, I haven't even BOUGHT this year's set.

Have driven in three snow storms thus far. Not ded. Though the hills in my neighborhood are tricksy.