Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Spectre;n3542375 said:
Aren't you on record as saying the PA auto show is pretty bad?

Compared to any “real” show it’s underwhelming. But for a local show done by a dealer association/Motor Trend, it’s not bad. The crowds are more manageable than a big show and changes they’ve made last year made it nicer.

I'm gonna leave this here for discussion. :mrgreen:

Mitchi;n3542526 said:
I'm gonna leave this here for discussion. :mrgreen:

I think this topic has been beat to death here.

Also I want to see test between UHP class all seasons, summers and winters in all types of weather. There is also the fact that as you drive tires will always warm up especially under hard braking.

Last edited:
Guess I should take a vacation from the forums now that this discussion is brought up again.

How about we add in "warming the car before you leave" as well?

First few seconds of the video: "... if it doesn't snow."

I can say with confidence that I need them in even a tiny amount of snow, assuming I want to be able to handle steep hills such as parking lot entrances and road crowns.

93Flareside;n3542539 said:
Guess I should take a vacation from the forums now that this discussion is brought up again.

LOL, I actually do that with the X these days but only because kiddos and wife are going in there when it's below freezing and windy outside so I want the car to be nice and warm.
thevictor390;n3542548 said:
First few seconds of the video: "... if it doesn't snow."

I can say with confidence that I need them in even a tiny amount of snow, assuming I want to be able to handle steep hills such as parking lot entrances and road crowns.

Yeah I made a mistake of taking my car out in light snow (like literally just started) on summers, turned right around and parked as soon as I nearly went through a red under full braking...

Unrelated, some dude in a Model S kept trying to push me into racing him last night. It's like dude I know I have no chance, I'm not going to bother. Add to it that it wasn't even on a highway it was on surface roads.

Last edited:
93Flareside;n3542539 said:

Lol don't get triggered about this sort of thing, not worth it :)

I just liked his comparison and conclusions

Mitchi;n3542553 said:

To be honest I was actually surprised that winters did worse in braking on dry than summers, I also wonder what kind of tires he had and if he had gotten a more performance oriented winter tire if it would have a different result.

The only snow I ever see is in a cone... with cherry syrup on top.

That is not snow, it is ground ice, that is why they are called Icees. ;)

prizrak;n3542550 said:
Unrelated, some dude in a Model S kept trying to push me into racing him last night. It's like dude I know I have no chance, I'm not going to bother. Add to it that it wasn't even on a highway it was on surface roads.

How does one go about goading someone into a stoplight race in an electric car, anyway? You can't rev the engine at them, do you just roll down the window and start yelling?

BerserkerCatSplat;n3542579 said:
How does one go about goading someone into a stoplight race in an electric car, anyway? You can't rev the engine at them, do you just roll down the window and start yelling?

It wasn't at a stop light we were between lights and he goes around me after we turn, which is fine multiple lanes and all that, then he sits just in front of me at the same speed and any time he thought I was accelerating he would accelerate away but always slow to let me catch up. Was actually pretty amusing to watch.

Mitchi;n3542553 said:

It was interesting. Especially with the braking test.

TC;n3542572 said:
The only snow I ever see is in a cone... with cherry syrup on top.

The only snow here comes in convenient one kilogram packages.

prizrak;n3542138 said:
Of course with 4WD and locking diffs traction is not difficult to come by.

Not until you need to steer or brake, no. :lol:

My car gives no fucks about the surface, it picks up speed with zero effort regardless. Shedding it is a whole different matter.

Perc;n3542684 said:
Not until you need to steer or brake, no. :lol:

My car gives no fucks about the surface, it picks up speed with zero effort regardless. Shedding it is a whole different matter.

Brakes are for cowards lol

W00t new tires for Mustang have been ordered.
Also wife got me one of those drive a supercar experiences but sadly she didn't realize it was a somewhat lame type where they set up in a parking lot. Now the question is do I want to drive a Lambo or the R8 knowing that I can't possibly open them up (though depending on the R8 it might not be all that fast) or do I drive the rice rocket (GT-R).

I feel like they will all be somewhat meh given the course, but I likely will have more opportunities to drive the Datsun but not so much am exptic