Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

prizrak;n3546721 said:
And here I thought I made bad financial decisions...

My credit rating was so bad a bit over 10 years ago all I could get was ~20% on the SVT Focus. I had to start building credit and I needed transportation quickly, no choice. Now fast forward to today and my credit is tier 1+ and I can write whatever deal I want. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. :)

Let these things be a lesson to young people, screw up your credit while your 18-24 and you'll be FUCKED for at least a decade--especially if you don't have a co-signer. After working previously for Experian I learned the "7-year rule" isn't a thing because the counter keeps getting reset every time your collection account gets resold to someone else. That's why it took so long to rebuild my credit. Took about 9 years for a repo and about 14 years for a medical bill collection account to disappear.

Ok I'll stop being a debbie downer. ;)

Did some custom machine and body work on the BRZ this morning.

Door, fender, wheel are pretty definitely hosed. $1k for junkyard parts. God knows what in the collision supply chain. Waiting for insurance settlement before I post details or pics.

Last edited:
prizrak;n3546721 said:

Had a PPI.

Car had a large dent on the passenger side rear quarter panel with poor painting, shop measured the thickness, rest of car was between 4-5mm while the repainted spot had 10-12mm per this paint depth thingy. The dealer owned up and said the lease was returned with the dent and they had to make the repair. They had a record of the event and showed me it. Passenger lower front ball joint was worn with play, and that tire was also replaced. Drain plug is leaking, passenger door weather stripping was torn, brake rotors pulsated or as the mechanic said “suffered lot rot.” Last, the chassis had what seemed to me like a lot of rust already starting. The high pressure oil pump had rust all over it. Passenger front wheel well was missing the fog light access cap. There was also a oscillating vibration at speed that would go in and out, it’s enough that you can see the rear view mirror vibrate.

Seems like a lot for a 15,700mi ex-lease. And a 17,789 asking price.

Right off the bat it can’t be a CPO with any accident damage so the dealer is hella shady. I’d run away from this

Right off the bat it can’t be a CPO with any accident damage so the dealer is hella shady. I’d run away from this

I saw the new Kia Stinger the other day as it rolled past.

That is a damn good looking car in person.

Blind_Io;n3546820 said:
I saw the new Kia Stinger the other day as it rolled past.

That is a damn good looking car in person.

I saw one at the recent Dallas auto show and then one on the street last week. They really are good looking.

prizrak;n3546769 said:

Yup. I ran from that. I realllly wanted a 2 door hatchback but, that’s not possible within the area.

dealer insisted it wasn’t an accident. It was about waist high based on the photos in the repair paperwork. Like somebody hit a pole. No paint damage based on the photos but, I don’t trust somebody who, if YOU DID THE REPAIR, WHY DIDNT YOU NOTE THAT SHIT?

After that ordeal, I wasn’t sure if I would still like a golf long enough to make financing and later on, ownership to make financial sense. So, I looked into leasing options, read up on it and, I chose that. Was able to secure a lease rate I felt was reasonable and managed to sign it all last night. I was so excited, the work day dragged on so long and when it got down to it, I could not write my own name or really write anything. I’m quite excited still. I don’t feel like I did this to make other people happy. This may sound selfish but, I got what I like.

Thread may come, I don’t know. It’s not like I’ll be doing any sick mods, bro. Heck, I hardly update my current threads. If you follow my facetubes and hipstergram, you’ll know I’m not making it up.

Best things so far, throttle response, steering, the seats (PLAAAAAAAAAD), and the light clutch. Stick shift no longer feels like a major chore. It’s not like the mustang was something terrible, it just took more effort than I’d like. We’re ignoring the short shifter I added. That I liked.

How I see this is, if I like it, I know the previous owner. If I don’t, then it’s goodbye after the 3 year lease.

looking at my past ownership, I can’t handle a long vehicle ownership before it’s like “well, this sucks, this is annoying, this is creaky...” Personally, it seems to make sense.

I know in California, insurance companies have to provide at least 3 different options for companies to repair/replace a windshield (and perhaps other work too, but I have a broken windshield, so that's all i've been looking into)..but does anyone know if it extends beyond that? Like...can I choose a place that isn't one of those 3 they sent me? My Google-fu is failing me, and I couldn't get any sort of firm answer either way from my insurance company.

NecroJoe;n3546845 said:
I know in California, insurance companies have to provide at least 3 different options for companies to repair/replace a windshield (and perhaps other work too, but I have a broken windshield, so that's all i've been looking into)..but does anyone know if it extends beyond that? Like...can I choose a place that isn't one of those 3 they sent me? My Google-fu is failing me, and I couldn't get any sort of firm answer either way from my insurance company.

Under most state laws, they have to allow the work to take place out of their "network" but they may or may not pay the full cost. If it's a reasonable price, they will usually do it just to be done with it.

EyeMWing;n3546728 said:
Did some custom machine and body work on the BRZ this morning.

Door, fender, wheel are pretty definitely hosed. $1k for junkyard parts. God knows what in the collision supply chain. Waiting for insurance settlement before I post details or pics.

Ooof, that sucks man! :(

93Flareside;n3546843 said:
Yup. I ran from that. I realllly wanted a 2 door hatchback but, that’s not possible within the area.

dealer insisted it wasn’t an accident. It was about waist high based on the photos in the repair paperwork. Like somebody hit a pole. No paint damage based on the photos but, I don’t trust somebody who, if YOU DID THE REPAIR, WHY DIDNT YOU NOTE THAT SHIT?

After that ordeal, I wasn’t sure if I would still like a golf long enough to make financing and later on, ownership to make financial sense. So, I looked into leasing options, read up on it and, I chose that. Was able to secure a lease rate I felt was reasonable and managed to sign it all last night. I was so excited, the work day dragged on so long and when it got down to it, I could not write my own name or really write anything. I’m quite excited still. I don’t feel like I did this to make other people happy. This may sound selfish but, I got what I like.

Thread may come, I don’t know. It’s not like I’ll be doing any sick mods, bro. Heck, I hardly update my current threads. If you follow my facetubes and hipstergram, you’ll know I’m not making it up.

Best things so far, throttle response, steering, the seats (PLAAAAAAAAAD), and the light clutch. Stick shift no longer feels like a major chore. It’s not like the mustang was something terrible, it just took more effort than I’d like. We’re ignoring the short shifter I added. That I liked.

How I see this is, if I like it, I know the previous owner. If I don’t, then it’s goodbye after the 3 year lease.

looking at my past ownership, I can’t handle a long vehicle ownership before it’s like “well, this sucks, this is annoying, this is creaky...” Personally, it seems to make sense.

Congrats. Hopefully you'll have good news to share throughout your ownership. :nod:

prizrak;n3546721 said:

I know somebody that was making payments for a truck he could not afford on credit cards, and then juggling the balance by transferring the debt to the next card.

Congrats Flareside! I think in your case leasing is a good answer. I always said that if I go back to Ze Germans it will be a lease.

GRtak;n3546849 said:
I know somebody that was making payments for a truck he could not afford on credit cards, and then juggling the balance by transferring the debt to the next card.

That's absurd, my parents never owned a truck :p

93Flareside;n3546843 said:

So when will we get some pics? :D

Are you keeping the Mustang and wagon too?

I saved the world from another boring Toyota this week.

Convinced my mom to buy a Honda Civic instead of a Corolla.

Is a Civic really all that much better?