Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Why don't you swap it for a Fox Mustang, I'm sure Craig has a couple of them somewhere stashed should situations such as this arise :p

Fox mustangs don't make financial sense because absurd commute.

Nothing with less than 28MPG makes financial sense. Which reduces the possibilities to what is alarmingly close to a null set.

Thinking about a Saabaru. Because turbo whoosh noises.

Last edited:
EyeMWing;n3547185 said:

They're somewhat meh, IMO; if you're used to a proper turbo Saab, at least, the 2.0 Subaru engine feels peaky and doesn't do much below 3.5k RPM. The pre-Ecotec 2.0 in my 9-3 feels stronger and starts making real power at 2.5k.

Labcoatguy;n3547188 said:
They're somewhat meh, IMO; if you're used to a proper turbo Saab, at least, the 2.0 Subaru engine feels peaky and doesn't do much below 3.5k RPM. The pre-Ecotec 2.0 in my 9-3 feels stronger and starts making real power at 2.5k.

Yeah but then I have to own a GM product. Also, I own what feels like an entire warehouse full of applicable Subaru parts.

EyeMWing;n3547185 said:
Nothing with less than 28MPG makes financial sense. Which reduces the possibilities to what is alarmingly close to a null set.

The Saabaru will get decent mileage (21 combined, 25 highway) but you also get to pay for premium gas. Per mile, they're more expensive to run than a Hemi.

wait, why not one of those V6 Accord Coupes? It will do 30MPG Highway (21/32 per EPA thingy), you can have it with a stick and it will be as reliable as a metronome.

Last edited:
EyeMWing;n3547190 said:
Yeah but then I have to own a GM product. Also, I own what feels like an entire warehouse full of applicable Subaru parts.

Ah, the sunk cost thought process; I still have a bunch of untouched Saab 9000 parts, but that's not enough for me to want to get another one. In any case I wouldn't recommend a Saab of any sort to someone who wasn't already bitten by the bug; my 9-3 did return about 37 MPG on its post-purchase trip from DC to Boston, though.

Random thought: RX7!?

In other news, the effing Silverado has a CATASTROPHIC fuel line leak.

Which leaves me with precisely two functional vehicles:
1) The Legacy. Which is only TECHNICALLY functional.
2) The Ram. Which is basically the least useful vehicle ever built by man.

In fact, literally everything else is mobility killed.
3) Sekret project that I haven't told any of you about has something undefined really broke
4) Crown Vic won't start (fuel filter?)
5) Silverado won't make it to the nearest gas station and would probably be on fire if a serious attempt was made.
6) Legacy parts car is a shell sitting on the trailer
7) BRZ has a lame wheel.

Last edited:
prizrak;n3547264 said:
RX7? Seriously? Might as well walk....

I'd rather have a broke-ass RX7 than a BRZ/FR-S. ;)

CraigB;n3547163 said:
Tis just a scratch. Shoot me a PM with some numbers and we can see what we can come up with.

Oooooh, so this is why you didn’t want my cobra wheels. :D

JCE;n3547269 said:
I'd rather have a broke-ass RX7 than a BRZ/FR-S. ;)

Yeah. Problem is FD's in anything resembling working order are expensive as all hell. FnF tax.

I think I'm going to repair the BRZ and hold onto it awhile more. As far as I can work out, it's the only way I end up in a car that is both mildly interesting to drive and on which I can reasonably depend with the money on the table this quarter. This really couldn't have gone down at a worse time.

The Saabaru plan is the next closest thing I've looked at in detail, the operating economics being no worse than the BRZ. But I already have a wagon that's going to be making even more horsepower in short order, and the additional out of pocket to get into one of those would only delay the project schedule such that I don't get the parts for that in 2018, the rust damage on the Legacy gets an extra winter to spread and that project gets even more complicated.

Everything else I've looked at either has substantially worse operating economics or is just too damned expensive to acquire. Assorted early 2000's BMW 3ers and 5ers were the closest to realistic.

ACCORD COUPE WITH A STICK, I KEEP TELLING YOU PEOPLE!! :p

prizrak;n3547285 said:
Don't get me wrong I love the car to death, but if he is looking for a commuter...

Then get neither! :lol:

Similar to the above post, a 2005+ V6 Accord coupe with a 6spd manual. Reliable, quick, and fun.

prizrak;n3547295 said:
Wrong wheel drive

More accurately, just not interesting. And also too much money for anything with a not-absolutely-absurd number of miles on it because Honda tax.

Well, it’s final now. Mustang wheels were sold. Last parts I have left from that are the handles for the convertible top. When I had the top replaced in 2013, I had gotten handles as well as the spring hardware for the guy doing it. Only needed the hardware so, I need to get rid of these somehow.