Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

EyeMWing;n3547349 said:
More accurately, just not interesting. And also too much money for anything with a not-absolutely-absurd number of miles on it because Honda tax.

Once you add interesting to the mix, your options get more subjective. You could buy an ecoboost mustang (Or as I like to call it, Ford Celica Supra) and keep it off the boost on the freeway, or a Camaro V6 (and whatever options pack includes the rearview camera). There's the Infinity M/G series, which fir for certain values of "interesting" depending on model. The FX35 too, if you don't mind having the possibility of the dash contracting rather bad eczema.

Ecoboost Stang is actually a decent option for mileage, a co-worker has one and gets decent mileage. In similar vein you could get a WRX my friend gets 30+ on the highway

CraigB;n3547370 said:
Local Mustang Facebook group or forum?

I’ll try the Facebook group as the level of spam with craigslist is a bit nuts lately.

I never seen this video before today, but it demonstrates that camera magic makes all the bad cars look really cool.

Apparently I have somehow found myself as a promoter/R&D/group buy coordinator for my friend's fabrication shop. Hopefully I don't make a hash of it and cost everyone a lot of money; maybe even build some cool stuff in the process.

On a random note: I saw the new Discovery the other day. It looks like an off road minivan that escaped from the set of Total Recall. I hate it and want to set it on fire.

Blind_Io;n3547427 said:
On a random note: I saw the new Discovery the other day. It looks like an off road minivan that escaped from the set of Total Recall. I hate it and want to set it on fire.

I was excited about it when I saw my first one, but now the sides just look too tall and heavy and I am frankly offended that they thought they could pull off that rear-end without a lower tailgate.

The more I see of the new Lamborghini Urus, the more I think it looks like an ugly bloated hot hatch.

prizrak;n3547398 said:
Ecoboost Stang is actually a decent option for mileage, a co-worker has one and gets decent mileage. In similar vein you could get a WRX my friend gets 30+ on the highway

Yeah, Ecoboost Mustang is still on the Want list, but there is basically ZERO used availability, and they're out of the immediate pricing bracket. Also, one of my direct reports at work has one, and that just cannot be allowed to stand.

WRX, well, that's what the Saabaru plan was all about. I dislike the 08+ bodystyle in a huge way.

EyeMWing;n3547469 said:
Yeah, Ecoboost Mustang is still on the Want list, but there is basically ZERO used availability, and they're out of the immediate pricing bracket. Also, one of my direct reports at work has one, and that just cannot be allowed to stand.

What have sales numbers been like? any regions where some are likely coming off of lease?

I test drove a Lexus ISF today, and I think I need one. What else should I consider that's similar-ish?

- Budget is about 35K
- Midsize car or smaller
- Not a maintenance nightmare
- Normal size trunk, normal entry & departure angles.
- More power is more better :)

LiveToWin;n3547606 said:
I test drove a Lexus ISF today, and I think I need one. What else should I consider that's similar-ish?

- Budget is about 35K
- Midsize car or smaller
- Not a maintenance nightmare
- Normal size trunk, normal entry & departure angles.
- More power is more better :)

Chevy SS, some lightly used Infinitis.
If you are OK with two doors, Mustang, 370z. C6 Vette is probably in the price range.

Last edited:
The SS is a bit on the larger side though. If you're going that size you can pick a Charger R/T Police car for cheap or the civilian model for...you know, center console and dead cow on the seats.

prizrak;n3547625 said:
Chevy SS, some lightly used Infinitis.
If you are OK with two doors, Mustang, 370z. C6 Vette is probably in the price range.

Thanks for the input!
I forgot about the Chevy SS. Unfortunately it is on the hairy edge of not fitting in my garage. I'd have about 1" of clearance on either end. Charger/Challenger probably wouldn't fit at all. There is one SS locally though, so I'll give it a try.

Two doors is fine, but four seats makes it a whole lot easier to get past the SO.

Edit:

I drove a 2017 and 2018 Mustang GT today as well as a 2018 Camaro SS. I prefer the Camaro to the Mustang. So far, the Camaro is in 2nd place behind the ISF.

Last edited:
LiveToWin;n3547633 said:
Thanks for the input!
I forgot about the Chevy SS. Unfortunately it is on the hairy edge of not fitting in my garage. I'd have about 1" of clearance on either end. Charger/Challenger probably wouldn't fit at all. There is one SS locally though, so I'll give it a try.

Two doors is fine, but four seats makes it a whole lot easier to get past the SO.

Edit:

I drove a 2017 and 2018 Mustang GT today as well as a 2018 Camaro SS. I prefer the Camaro to the Mustang. So far, the Camaro is in 2nd place behind the ISF.

If you want a drivers car the SS will wipe the floor with a charger/challenger up to the scat pack trim and is a drivers race with the scat pack. I am biased towards the SS with one in the garage the car truly is the last of a dying breed especially if you want a 6spd.

LiveToWin;n3547633 said:
Thanks for the input!

The SS has a length just under 196" and the Charger starts at around 198". The Challenger start just under 198". So no, if the SS won't fit neither with the MOPARs. And for that matter neither will the CTS-V as that starts at just under 198" in length.

Vipergts662;n3547653 said:
If you want a drivers car the SS will wipe the floor with a charger/challenger up to the scat pack trim and is a drivers race with the scat pack. I am biased towards the SS with one in the garage the car truly is the last of a dying breed especially if you want a 6spd.

That's a good joke mate. ;) Any V8 Charger or Challenger with the Super Track Pack (including R/T's) will hold its own versus your SS in a straight line or around a corner--there is no "floor wiping" to be had here in the real world on the street. Obviously you've never driven one of these MOPARs and only believe what you read online and that's too bad. And you are correct that the 392 Scat Pack (392 SRT or any 392 for that matter) will destroy the SS in every category except weight. Especially if they have the six-piston Brembos up front (dynamics package) and the adaptive suspension upgrade. ;) All of these aforementioned packages and the 392's torque help overcome the extra ~450lbs or so they have over the SS. While I think the SS looks pretty plain (needs more HSV kit) as a Chevy instead of a Holden or Pontiac I do like the vehicle as a whole and am sad to see them go. :( I cross-shopped one before I bought my '16 R/T. I just didn't feel like it was any faster on the street, especially since it (the SS) has an inferior automatic transmission. Oh and I didn't like the interior, but that's not its fault its GM's in general that have shit interiors. Too bad Pontiac was dead at that time because I could of just as easily bought the G8 GXP since it looked better than the SS and I had a thing for them. In the end getting my '16 R/T brand new for $28k and that awesome 8spd transmission sold it for me.

It is a shame that the large V8 RWD saloon car is a dying breed with GM killing off the SS that only leaves the Charger left to hold the large V8 saloon category from dying completely in the US.

Build a new garage extension. Pick the car you really want, problem solved.

JCE;n3547673 said:
It is a shame that the large V8 RWD saloon car is a dying breed with GM killing off the SS that only leaves the Charger left to hold the large V8 saloon category from dying completely in the US.

This is especially concerning taking into account the LX platform is getting a bit long in the tooth. With any luck FCA will Panther it and just refine it over time. Because I smell transverse V6 FWD in the future otherwise. And if that's the case the finest American V8 RWD sedan will end up being the Genesis G80 V8.

Last edited:
gaasc;n3547680 said:
This is especially concerning taking into account the LX platform is getting a bit long in the tooth. With any luck FCA will Panther it and just refine it over time. Because I smell transverse V6 FWD in the future otherwise. And if that's the case the finest American V8 RWD sedan will end up being the Genesis G80 V8.

FCA is actually going to stretch an Alfa platform for the next Charger/Challenger and it will still support RWD. I hope FCA sells off Chrysler/Jeep/RAM before that happens as I'd rather see a refinement of the LX platform with lighter weight materials to reduce curb weight and keep everything else along the same line. And I don't think this Alfa platform will be large enough for a V8...which is a BIG no no.