Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

JCE;n3547673 said:
The SS has a length just under 196" and the Charger starts at around 198". The Challenger start just under 198". So no, if the SS won't fit neither with the MOPARs. And for that matter neither will the CTS-V as that starts at just under 198" in length.

That's a good joke mate. ;) Any V8 Charger or Challenger with the Super Track Pack (including R/T's) will hold its own versus your SS in a straight line or around a corner--there is no "floor wiping" to be had here in the real world on the street. Obviously you've never driven one of these MOPARs and only believe what you read online and that's too bad. And you are correct that the 392 Scat Pack (392 SRT or any 392 for that matter) will destroy the SS in every category except weight. Especially if they have the six-piston Brembos up front (dynamics package) and the adaptive suspension upgrade. ;) All of these aforementioned packages and the 392's torque help overcome the extra ~450lbs or so they have over the SS. While I think the SS looks pretty plain (needs more HSV kit) as a Chevy instead of a Holden or Pontiac I do like the vehicle as a whole and am sad to see them go. :( I cross-shopped one before I bought my '16 R/T. I just didn't feel like it was any faster on the street, especially since it (the SS) has an inferior automatic transmission. Oh and I didn't like the interior, but that's not its fault its GM's in general that have shit interiors. Too bad Pontiac was dead at that time because I could of just as easily bought the G8 GXP since it looked better than the SS and I had a thing for them. In the end getting my '16 R/T brand new for $28k and that awesome 8spd transmission sold it for me.

It is a shame that the large V8 RWD saloon car is a dying breed with GM killing off the SS that only leaves the Charger left to hold the large V8 saloon category from dying completely in the US.

Your right I have not driven one and on the street they are both capable. The G8 does have way more character than the SS and like you said you can blame corporate design standards for that thankfully for not much money you can add some character back by replacing the horrendous gold bow ties along with removing all the chrome. I get far more looks and comments about my SS than I did when I had the XFR, but if you want a manual, 4 doors, RWD and a V8 you are going to be hard pressed to find something better.

I am just happy there are people out there like us who are specifically looking for RWD V8s in this day and age :mrgreen:

Vipergts662;n3547696 said:
I get far more looks and comments about my SS than I did when I had the XFR, but if you want a manual, 4 doors, RWD and a V8 you are going to be hard pressed to find something better.

I am just happy there are people out there like us who are specifically looking for RWD V8s in this day and age :mrgreen:

Absofuckinglutely! If you wanted a manual definitely get an SS. No question about it. Would take that over any of the German saloons with a manual...if that even exists anymore.

Like you I definitely want a V8 and RWD. Except no substitutes. :D

Thanks to those of you that suggested the Chevy SS. I went and drove a 2014 Chevy SS after work today. I preferred it to the pony cars, but it feels massive driving down the road and the 6spd auto didn't set my world on fire. I do like that they just couldn't be bothered to style the car. The transmission can be fixed by finding one with a stick, but I don't think the size of the car is going to change.

In order of preference:
2011+ Lexus ISF
Chevy SS w/ manual trans
2008-2010 Lexus ISF
Camaro SS
Mustang GT

JCE;n3547693 said:
FCA is actually going to stretch an Alfa platform for the next Charger/Challenger and it will still support RWD. I hope FCA sells off Chrysler/Jeep/RAM before that happens as I'd rather see a refinement of the LX platform with lighter weight materials to reduce curb weight and keep everything else along the same line. And I don't think this Alfa platform will be large enough for a V8...which is a BIG no no.

This hinges rather heavily on fiat deciding they really hate money

Some of the best candidates for cars are in California. Has anyone bought a car in California when they don't live in California?

My understanding is that the current owner will sign the title over to me, then I get a California title issued in my name, and obtain a "One Trip Permit ( CVC 4003 )". Once I'm back in AZ with a title in my name the process is pretty straight forward.

Edit:

Option B: Pick up slightly higher mileage example from a dealer in the south, then road trip it back. I think the paperwork is easier with a dealer than with a private party.

Edit to the Edit:

California cars DQ'd after further review of vehicle history and photographs. Plan B is now plan A. Roadtrip!

Last edited:
Oh man, sniped a great deal this morning! Been on the hunt for a good 460 intake for the jet boat for months, last time one came up on the local classifieds it got sold out from under me - now I'm glad that happened!

Seller listed a brand-new-in-box Edelbrock Performer 460 for $200, half the list price, but he mislabeled the ad as being an FE intake. He also mentioned he had some other Ford intakes he wanted to get rid of. I called him up and offered to buy the Eddy for asking price and was interested in the other manifolds, depending on what they were. Showed up at his place and fuck me, he's got a Edelbrock F380 FE triple-deuce intake and a FE Police Interceptor intake (that he thought was a stock 460 intake for some reason) sitting on his shelf. I've been looking for an FE 3x2 intake for ages to go on a Mercury 410FE I've been amassing parts for. The Police Interceptor intake I didn't necessarily need, but it's the correct P/N for '68 GT500s so worth decent coin. I got both intakes for $150 and he threw in two sets of headers he had sitting around - one for a 351C and I think the other is for a 460 but will have to check. Made out like a bandit! I'll post pics later tonight as I had to head straight to the office after I dropped them off in the garage.

Edit: Pictures!

hWx6bQS.jpg

Clockwise, starting with the blue one:
'68 Ford FE Shelby/Police Interceptor
Edelbrock F380 FE Triple-deuce
Edelbrock Performer 460

Guy threw in a couple sets of headers since I bought all his intakes, hell if I know what to do with them. I think one set is for a 351C and the other is a 460 set of some flavour. Clean em up and sell them I guess.

IDHDGy6.jpg

Last edited:
I need more shitboxes.

Legacy has developed a noise that is ALARMINGLY similar to rod knock. I then poured 4 quarts of oil into the crankcase. I guess it leaks faster than I thought. Oops.

It'll either be rod knock or the timing belt tensioner letting go. I'm in a pinch here so I'm driving it until it either stops moving or I get something else fixed.

If shit kersplodes, I'll just put a license plate on the Project That I Haven't Mentioned Here. It's quasi-selfmobile.

It's not like I don't have another EJ22 (though it's a Phase 2 motor... But that's fixable with a head swap) sitting right the hell there in the garage.

Last edited:
Still thinking about an errand runner to add to the fleet. Now I'm thinking a small pickup would be ideal for my needs. It can tow the trailer, haul a bike in the back, do the Home Depot run without me having to disassemble the Xterra's storage system every time, can be had in 4WD for the snow, and I could still drive it to work and get no worse mpg than the Xterra but not chew up expensive off road tires and put miles on my hobby car.

So, why is a Ford Ranger V6 a horrible idea? I know the engine is maligned for being underpowered, but it also has a reputation for longevity. I know the interiors aren't great (especially the ones from the 1990s), but that doesn't bother me. There must be some way I'm being an idiot.

Blind_Io;n3547910 said:
Still thinking about an errand runner to add to the fleet. Now I'm thinking a small pickup would be ideal for my needs. It can tow the trailer, haul a bike in the back, do the Home Depot run without me having to disassemble the Xterra's storage system every time, can be had in 4WD for the snow, and I could still drive it to work and get no worse mpg than the Xterra but not chew up expensive off road tires and put miles on my hobby car.

So, why is a Ford Ranger V6 a horrible idea? I know the engine is maligned for being underpowered, but it also has a reputation for longevity. I know the interiors aren't great (especially the ones from the 1990s), but that doesn't bother me. There must be some way I'm being an idiot.

Do you fit in a Ranger?

Blind_Io;n3547910 said:
So, why is a Ford Ranger V6 a horrible idea?

1. Having worked at a Ford dealership, my big concern about V6 Rangers would be fuel mileage. I can't count the number of customers who bitched about that. Expect about whatever an F150 was getting for the same model year.
2. Unless it's from the desert, check the 'buckets' where the rear springs mount to the frame. Ranger spring mounts rust like you wouldn't believe and will eventually let the spring go it's own way...
3. No matter what brand you consider, plan to spend a few extra bucks and buy an extended cab. I've been down this road with too many of my friends. Unless you're a jockey, even short trips in a standard-cab small truck can be painful.

SL

ScarFace88;n3547914 said:
Do you fit in a Ranger?

Yep, I test drove a few years ago before I had the Xterra.

Blind_Io;n3547910 said:

Squareleft is right on the spring bracket and single cab-ness. I grew up with my dad owning a ‘92 5 Speed 4 banger. It works for around the town trips but an hour drive to or from Chicago was awful. Probably because I was the smallest (not anymore!) and always got the middle seat.

Body on frame wagons can also fit your needs. :)

Last edited:
They also drink fuel and are quite large. Oddly enough The Ranger may be the best choice if you don't want a frontier. The S-Blazer is old, the Colorado is meh, you don't get the Hilux and I tend to distrust the Tacoma based on their longevity on this side of the continent.

Why not an F150 of similar or newer vintage? I would think there would be a much larger choice of those vice the Ranger

PITA to park in town for one thing. I would consider a Frontier, but to keep purchase cost down I would be in the 1999-2004 "Gen 1" vintage. The 2005-2008 Frontier has a very expensive timing chain problem that must be fixed and most the ones I'm finding used either don't have documentation that it was done or are simply out of the price range. The Ranger, being an older and smaller truck is less appealing to workmen, so the prices are lower.

I'm not interested in a Tacoma. When 20-year old Tacomas with 330,000+ miles are still being listed for more than a 5 year newer Ranger with 115,000 miles, something is seriously wrong.

Last edited:
Blind_Io;n3547928 said:
I'm not interested in a Tacoma. When 20-year old Tacomas with 330,000+ miles are still being listed for more than a 5 year newer Ranger with 115,000 miles, something is seriously wrong.

This is the reason I didn't even look at the 4Runner, they were way too expensive compared to the X despite not being better in any measurable way.

I bought a 2012 Lexus IS F in Tennessee and drove it back to Arizona this weekend. This thing is amazing. I'll start a PYC thread once I get it cleaned up from the drive.

Last edited:
Wife was dropping kids off at daycare and the gate into the parking lot closed on top of the car. So instead of calling someone to open it back up she fucking drove through it. Now the front cowling where the lights are, the top of the storage box and the rails are scratched up. Plastics is just cosmetic annoyance but I'm thinking the rails are gonna start rusting since they are missing the anti-corrosion shit now. According to Courtesy Nissan it would be around 2500 in parts :angry: