Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

I don't do body work, also it's not color really, it's sorta like bedliner and that doesn't solve the plastics issue, which some are part of the rails. Rails are relatviely cheap, 300ish/pop the part with the lights is over a fucking grand :(

It was $700 to have the Taurus rear bumper repainted with pearl metallic paint, I bet an independent shop could hook you up for less than the dealer would charge. As for the rust inhibitor, if it is the undercarriage or somewhere out of sight, try this stuff. If it is the bed of the truck, just upgrade to bedliner and wrap it over the top of the bed a little. It might be a little more expensive, but you will get a more durable finish. Since you would have to paint anyway, you are only really spending the difference between a body shop and a bedliner job.

EDIT: For the plastics, just spray that up with some black Plasti-dip or get on eBay and find a take-off air dam from someone who switched from the halogens to a light bar. I bet if you check www.thenewx.org you will find some being sold for dirt cheap - or post up a "wanted" thread. Do the same for ClubFrontier.

Last edited:
Blind_Io;n3547928 said:
I'm not interested in a Tacoma. When 20-year old Tacomas with 330,000+ miles are still being listed for more than a 5 year newer Ranger with 115,000 miles, something is seriously wrong.

Our food service delivery driver has been asking me about my Frontier over the past year. He was looking to replace an older Toyota truck with a ton of miles. Today he said he finally pulled the trigger on something. He ended up with a 2005 Toyota Tacoma crew cab with 200k miles... for $10k... His bank even loaned him the money on it.

CraigB;n3548084 said:
Ah, that pod that has the lights. It's expensive because it's a special part only used on the Pro-4X models.

Yeah that crap, to be honest I wouldn't care if I could install the one without the lights since I don't offroad and basically never used these ever in my life. And if I do find that I want em might as well get a much brighter LED bar

Thanks Blind, I'm talking about the top of the steel tubular rails that run on top of the car, this part - [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","height":"515","width":"916","src":"https:\/\/s.aolcdn.com\/dims-global\/dims3\/GLOB\/legacy_thumbnail\/916x515\/quality\/95\/http:\/\/www.blogcdn.com\/www.autoblog.com\/media\/2011\/04\/12-2011-nissan-xtera-pro-4x.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Last edited:
CraigB;n3548088 said:
Our food service delivery driver has been asking me about my Frontier over the past year. He was looking to replace an older Toyota truck with a ton of miles. Today he said he finally pulled the trigger on something. He ended up with a 2005 Toyota Tacoma crew cab with 200k miles... for $10k... His bank even loaned him the money on it.

When I was looking for a CPO Tacoma TRD Off Road, I could only find one at any of my local dealerships, but it wasn't a CPO. It was a 2014 model with 108k miles and they wanted $28k.

That's why I just bought a new one.

Toyotas have an absolutely ridiculous resale value even if they are not quantifiably better than similar vehicles. When I was looking for the X I briefly considered a 4Runner but they were way too expensive for what you got.

TC;n3548091 said:
When I was looking for a CPO Tacoma TRD Off Road, I could only find one at any of my local dealerships, but it wasn't a CPO. It was a 2014 model with 108k miles and they wanted $28k.

That's why I just bought a new one.

I know Tacomas in particular have extremely high resale prices, but that is insane.

I'm starting to get really annoyed by Nissan's weird parts catalog. Trying to figure out the exact part numbers that I need to look for (I know it will bother me if it's not perfect so I don't think plastidip would be a workable solution for me), and so I theoretically need this https://www.courtesyparts.com/oem-parts/nissan-dam-731599cj1b BUT it says it doesn't fit the 2011 Pro-4x BUT it does the 2015, they are the same god damn car are they not? Another dealership I found with better prices had stuff like the cover for the storage box in 4 different modifications and all of them say it fits 2WD models only. How in the hell is there a difference?????

What the hell is wrong with people. Pulled up to a local supermarket and the guy who parked infront of me was putting his shoes on repeatedly hitting the next car with his door. Lasted for about 2 minutes. I honked at him after one particularly hard hit and he just waved me off. Fucking prick. If it were up to me, death penalty.

XKuZrr5.jpg

The new Honda mini vans looks awful. They’re trying to make it look like a car by giving it civic tail lights and front end design. It’s van, you decided to have a million kids, get used to it.

All minivans try to look way too aggressive/sporty these days, it's like dude you are in a minivan get over it

CrzRsn;n3548117 said:
What the hell is wrong with people. Pulled up to a local supermarket and the guy who parked infront of me was putting his shoes on repeatedly hitting the next car with his door. Lasted for about 2 minutes. I honked at him after one particularly hard hit and he just waved me off. Fucking prick. If it were up to me, death penalty.

^ This. Too many humans on this planet to allow douches like this to suck up all of our air, water and food.

Does anybody in here still have an original /DRIVE sticker that he is willing to sell?

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","height":"663","width":"500","src":"https:\/\/i.redd.it\/v0t74jowrvq01.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Reactions: TC
Remember how I mentioned noises resembling rod knock?

Guess where I am right now!

Guess what I have!?

If you guessed "The side of a highway" and "A deficit of working engines and a surplus of engine glitter" you'd be correct!

prizrak;n3548089 said:
Yeah that crap, to be honest I wouldn't care if I could install the one without the lights since I don't offroad and basically never used these ever in my life. And if I do find that I want em might as well get a much brighter LED bar

Thanks Blind, I'm talking about the top of the steel tubular rails that run on top of the car, this part - [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","height":"515","width":"916","src":"https:\/\/s.aolcdn.com\/dims-global\/dims3\/GLOB\/legacy_thumbnail\/916x515\/quality\/95\/http:\/\/www.blogcdn.com\/www.autoblog.com\/media\/2011\/04\/12-2011-nissan-xtera-pro-4x.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Honestly, the tops of mine are so scraped up it's absurd. They are aluminum and wont' rust, so unless you can see the scratches and it bothers you, just leave it alone.

As for the air dam, I strongly suggest you post on Club Frontier or TheNewX.org, there are guys that have big scrap yards that will pull parts and send them to you. That air dam may cost you less than $100 as opposed to over $1,000.

Last edited:
Blind_Io;n3548172 said:
Honestly, the tops of mine are so scraped up it's absurd. They are aluminum and wont' rust, so unless you can see the scratches and it bothers you, just leave it alone.

As for the air dam, I strongly suggest you post on Club Frontier or TheNewX.org, there are guys that have big scrap yards that will pull parts and send them to you. That air dam may cost you less than $100 as opposed to over $1,000.

I thought they were steel, the top of the rails I don't care about but the plastic on the front of them is pissing me off. Also after looking a little closer I think I was wrong in my assesment, it's not the part with the lights that's really scratched, it's the part directly above them, which I believe is the cover for the storage box. The light pods have a bit of plastic missing on top but it's not really all that obvious and largely not visible.

Yeah I've contacted a few folks on TheNewX.org, waiting to hear back.

BerserkerCatSplat;n3548171 said:
That sounds decidedly less than optimal. :/

Factually, I'm not sure WTF actually failed. There's definitely glitter content in the oil, but the engine still turns over with the starter at about normal speed. The terminal death noise went away when I clutched. Of course, the engine also shut down while I was out of gear...

Bizarrely, the car was sitting on a hill and wouldn't roll when removed from gear.

The engine glitter points to some sort of major engine failure.
The engine turning over points to a broken rod or no engine failure at all.
The engine not starting points to some sort of engine failure.
The oil staying in the block points to not a broken rod.
The clutch relationship points to a clutch or flywheel failure.
The doesn't-roll-when-out-of-gear symptom points to a diff failure (which makes no sense because it coasted to a stop just fine).
The car doesn't roll when IN gear, which points to the engine still being intact enough to have compression.

All wildly inconsistent behavior. Going to have to actually take it apart to see what the hell is going on.