Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Legacy. I haven't fixed the BRZ yet.

I'm taking the day off work tomorrow to scavenge parts to do that, since I can bolt on a door way faster than an engine refit.

EyeMWing;n3548186 said:
Legacy. I haven't fixed the BRZ yet.

I'm taking the day off work tomorrow to scavenge parts to do that, since I can bolt on a door way faster than an engine refit.

That's good-ish. At least you have a way to fix something and keep driving.

In other news, the exhaust just fell off the tow rig.

Just gonna ignore that because the important exhaust component (TURBOOO) is still sitting right where it needs to be, and it's dumping behind the cab.

Pro tip: A Subaru BRZ door will swap straight onto a Scion FRS and everything will work.

A Scion FRS door will not swap straight onto a Subaru BRZ because it doesn't have the Subaru-specific features. I mean, it'll fit, because it's the same door shell and door card, and it'll plug in, because the electrical connectors themselves are the same.
Notably, the BRZ door:
  1. Has a different door handle for the approach-to-unlock feature (you should swap those over anyway because the lock tumbler, duh). I didn't do that because I was in a god damned hurry. The FRS doesn't have wiring for it, anyway. You have to transplant the entire door harness. And it looks like the glass and door mechanism have to GTFO to get at the door handle anyway.
  2. Has an illuminated courtesy light. The FRS has a red reflector in that spot. The FRS lacks the wiring for it. You have to transplant the entire door harness.
  3. Has screws through behind the door handle to the door shell to make the door feel sturdier. The FRS lacks the dinguses to screw those into.
So I still have several hours of door surgery to do later this week.

Also, I reattached the bum fender. Lightly. With a minimum of screws. Because I was unable to find one today.

Last edited:
When I search for information on rebuilding an Eaton supercharger, one of the first hits is Punisher Bass's thread titled "Why you shouldn't rebuild your supercharger". Thankfully I'm not dealing with the snout bearing this time, just the needle bearings out back.

I helped push a car to the side of the road at the weekend after the owner filled it up with diesel instead of petrol (I was in the pub garden next to the petrol station at the time, smells great) and it had dumped a whole lot of everything on the floor. I could smell the diesel but it was dark so there must've been oil in there. Some of it evaporated so there must've been petrol in there too, no sign of coolant colour though.

I'm trying to get my head around how this could've happened, could diesel really detonate at the wrong time in a little petrol engine (Citroen C2) and send chunks out of the block? I didn't see any metal on the floor and there wasn't a trail leading up to where she stopped, I can't think of any other way it could've happened though. :dunno:

It may not have detonated at all, so it hyper locks as if it were water or coolant in the cylinders instead.

GRtak;n3548434 said:
It may not have detonated at all, so it hyper locks as if it were water or coolant in the cylinders instead.

I hadn't thought of that, certainly a way to make fluids escape. She tried to start it afterwards (the worst thing to do obviously) and it turned over fine so the damage must've been done by that point.

Sometimes I wonder about automotive engineers. Was replacing sideview mirror on the X and it has a nice easy access panel to take the mirror off, which I thought cool that's gonna make life easy. I thought wrong, to get to the plug for the heater/power mirror you have to take entire door card off, not massively difficult but like REALLY? You couldn't have ran a wire towards the front and have it under the same access panel?? (mind you there is a ton of empty space in there)

I’m an adult now. I could buy a school bus and nobody can stop me. Why do I want a school bus?

:lol:

Only you and Rick want to buy a bus, but it is okay.

GRtak;n3548549 said:
:lol:

Only you and Rick want to buy a bus, but it is okay.

Speaking of which, where is Rick?