Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

CrzRsn;n3549060 said:
Spent the weekend driving my mom's MKZ around MA and it reminded me how nice those things are. Its quite and picks up pretty quickly, and she only has the 2.0L Ecoboost in hers. Got me thinking back to the time I had a 3.0L MKZ for a weekend a year or so ago and how much I loved that car. Started looking online, found a CPO one with the RS torque vectoring option, massage seats, the Harman Revel audio system option, less than 5,000 miles and a better warranty than new for about $17k off MSRP. Not going to lie, I'm pretty tempted. Chuckling to myself imagining showing up to a local SCCA autocross with duct taped numbers on the doors of a entry level luxury sedan that is typically associated with old people driving slow barges.

The MKZ is a real bargain because it's pretty obscure compared to the Fusion it's based on., and an excellent all-around car. Very comfy and well-appointed for the price, even the first-generation ones like ours.

EyeMWing;n3549065 said:
How much is reasonable? Because I live 30 miles from a RoRo port.

Seems like you can get a good, clean one for $3-5k. Once import costs are factored in it might not work out to be so cheap though. There's a 2002 P72 here up for nearly £7000, doesn't seem worth it. The place I used to see doesn't seem to exist any more but they used to ask around £15k!

I'm looking at some other, much smaller cars at the moment though. :D

Forget Toyota pulling the Shuttle or Tesla pulling some plane, a smart car pulling a boat is where it's at!
32545714_2522877624604662_145302609094246400_n.jpg

Not long after I finishing sorting out Keely and getting rid of the remainder as scrap (RIP - we had good times) I now own three cars again. I won't be picking the new addition up until next weekend but I will shock you immediately by saying that it isn't a Land Rover, or even British. You're welcome to try and guess what it is but I can't see anyone getting it as I haven't mentioned it here and I won't be telling you anyway. :lol:

Last edited:
ScarFace88;n3549399 said:
It's French, isn't it?

I take that as an insult! :p

Officially, no, it isn't French. It does have French parts in it though.

Congratulations on the Patrol.

New job gives me an excuse to go car shopping.... and now I am trying to convince myself that an MX-5 RF is definitely practical enough for daily use.

prizrak;n3549515 said:
What's with you and Mazdas?

Options for RWD stick shift coupe under $30k (including lightly used):

Toyota 86 - drove one, liked it a lot, but the interior is rather poor and it's just a bit too stiff and loud. Would honestly be quite happy with one.
Chevrolet Camaro/Ford Mustang/Dodge Challenger - not my style. Fine cars I'm sure, just don't see myself with one
Mazda MX-5 RF - Love the size, love the handling, love the transmission, comfortable and quiet enough for daily use but of course lack of seats/storage is off-putting. Super bonus points for retractable hard top.
Nissan 370z - Next on the list to drive
Keep the RX-8 - love it, but if I drive the same car for too long I get restless, and it's getting to the age where it is going to start needing expensive repairs.
Suggestions???

I'm not tied down to Mazda but I sure do seem to click with them....

The pony cars without a V8 make no sense to me. 370z would be my choice among all of these, the MX-5 is too slow.

thevictor390 I’d say skip the 370Z if you care about the interior. It’s been the same car for almost 10 years now. I drove enough of them working at the Nissan dealer and they’re nothing special.

I’m with you on the Miata RF hype train, they’re really nice. I think I read something about a more powerful version coming out in 2019 though.

I must be behind the times, I hadn't seen the Mazda RF. I think it looks great and the ND generally is considered brilliant by everyone.

If anyone is still wondering what mine is before I pick it up on Saturday, another clue: It's mid engined but isn't a Previa.

thevictor390;n3549518 said:
Options for RWD stick shift coupe under $30k (including lightly used):

Toyota 86 - drove one, liked it a lot, but the interior is rather poor and it's just a bit too stiff and loud. Would honestly be quite happy with one.
Chevrolet Camaro/Ford Mustang/Dodge Challenger - not my style. Fine cars I'm sure, just don't see myself with one
Mazda MX-5 RF - Love the size, love the handling, love the transmission, comfortable and quiet enough for daily use but of course lack of seats/storage is off-putting. Super bonus points for retractable hard top.
Nissan 370z - Next on the list to drive
Keep the RX-8 - love it, but if I drive the same car for too long I get restless, and it's getting to the age where it is going to start needing expensive repairs.
Suggestions???

I'm not tied down to Mazda but I sure do seem to click with them....

BMW 2?