Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

bone;n3549556 said:

Doubt he could find one under 30 but even then repairs would be yuuuge remember they don't last in NA

This is all opinion of course so take it as such, but if you are looking for performance of that list the Z will give you the biggest bang for your buck. If you want the most versatile then I would say Mustang/Camaro, specifically not Challenger because it's more of an old school muscle car that can only go fast in a straight. But if you really like the RF then get that :p

Last edited:
Matt2000;n3549525 said:
If anyone is still wondering what mine is before I pick it up on Saturday, another clue: It's mid engined but isn't a Previa.

It's a Delorean, isn't it? Watch out for the Libyans.

BMW 2 might be worth a look. I drive a freaking RX-8, a BMW would be a reliability improvement :p (in reality I'm not super concerned about the reliability of a barely used or new car). Insurance would be the primary concern, plus at my price range it will probably be low end models.

I'm definitely not one to prioritize performance, some power is good of course but I already can get myself into trouble too quickly with 230 HP. Mustang and Camaro are just too big. I prefer the small car experience with short throw shifting, tight steering, high low-speed maneuverability (i.e. easy parking).

EDIT: I had a look at BMWs for sale, it is nearly impossible to get one in a proper color thats not an M240i (and therefore $$$) :(

Last edited:
RX 8 only really has one failure point, BMWs have a shit ton of electronics and little sensors and other dumb crap that fail. Like I said finding a Beem in your price range will be a challenge. Also Z while really good at cornering was a massive bitch to park :p

TC;n3549563 said:
It's a Delorean, isn't it? Watch out for the Libyans.

The delorean is rear-engined :p

I think it's probably something like a boxster, but like a really crappy mechanic's special one.

gaasc;n3549574 said:
The delorean is rear-engined :p

I think it's probably something like a boxster, but like a really crappy mechanic's special one.

I sometimes wonder where mid-engined ends and rear-engined begins. :lol:

So little faith though in my car selection, mechanically it’s sound. I hope. I’m picking it up this morning, picking it up. ;)

Matt2000;n3549595 said:

So little faith though in my car selection, mechanically it’s sound. I hope. I’m picking it up this morning, picking it up. ;)

I would think it's same as front engine vs front mid engine, if it's in front of the rear axle it's mid ship if its on or behind the rear axle its rear engined.

Matt2000;n3549595 said:

If the engine is inside the wheelbase, it's mid-engined, otherwise it's rear (or front) engined.

Matt2000;n3549595 said:

It's not a Smart, is it?

I never knew the Delorean engine was behind the axle. I feel ashamed. That must be at least 5 points off my petrolhead licence.

TC;n3549606 said:
It's not a Smart, is it?

I never knew the Delorean engine was behind the axle. I feel ashamed. That must be at least 5 points off my petrolhead licence.

Don't feel too bad I didn't know that either.

miki;n3549605 said:
If the engine is inside the wheelbase, it's mid-engined, otherwise it's rear (or front) engined.

Today I learnt...

By that definition, it’s mid-engined. Just. I have it now, PYC tomorrow. :)

BMW 2 might be worth a look. I drive a freaking RX-8, a BMW would be a reliability improvement :p (in reality I'm not super concerned about the reliability of a barely used or new car).
qVZaG.gif

I had a 2 series for about 15 months on lease until I found someone to take over. Although I gave it up for reasons other than reliability, my experience wasn’t stellar. You seem to hold onto cars for a long while. A BMW may be a very bad idea.

From your list I agree with the Russian, the 370Z would likely suit you the best. But it’s far less practical than your current car, let alone nearly all the others on your list.

not Challenger because it's more of an old school muscle car that can only go fast in a straight.
False. I am routinely surprised how well my fat Dodge can corner at speed, without scrubbing tires. Bear in mind, it doesn’t really like doing it as much as a proper sports car, but that’s not the same thing as can. Also, mine has 275s at all corners where the lesser models come with 245s...

Also, just to point out something about the Challenger for thevictor.

Drive one before you decide. What lacks in nimbleness it makes up for in space, comfort, and practicality. Who knows, you just might decide you want a wholly different driving companion this time around, instead of something more kindred to your RX-8.

Last edited:
JimCorrigan;n3549617 said:
False. I am routinely surprised how well my fat Dodge can corner at speed, without scrubbing tires. Bear in mind, it doesn’t really like doing it as much as a proper sports car, but that’s not the same thing as can. Also, mine has 275s at all corners where the lesser models come with 245s...

Those are massive fucking tires, but also we are talking about a guy who has an RX 8 and is looking at MX5s and Toyobarus to him that thing might feel more like a boat than anything else. Also keep in mind that at his price point it would be a base model V6, so different suspension, less ability to power out of a corner, much skinnier tires, you get the picture.

Last edited:
Those are massive fucking tires
Yah. The downside is driving in heavy rain. Bitch has a propensity to slide like a greased up pole dancer if you don’t pay attention.

Also keep in mind that at his price point it would be a base model V6, so different suspension, less ability to power out of a corner, much skinnier tires, you get the picture.
Probably, but he could probably find a lightly used post-refresh 5.7L for well under 30, so there’s that.

Last edited:
miki;n3549605 said:

Yup, that is the technical definition. It is funny to see some of the ways that it has been done though.

This is an extreme example of front mid engine to say the least. It sure was a fast cat though.

I may have accidentally a car.

1.6-litre, 4-cylinder, 4 doors, front wheel drive, manual transmission, 1989. Probably is actually what come across your mind first. And it's gloriously GOLD.

PYC Thread after I retrieve it.

Matt2000;n3549595 said:

Motorcycle?

I drove a 370z over the weekend. There is something seriously wrong with that clutch. Apparently I'm not the only one who thinks so:
https://my350z.com/forum/2009-370z/5...he-clutch.html

Otherwise the main issue is that the tech level of the 2017 was equivalent to my 2010. And I'd get myself in trouble with that kind of power. "Oh it's not that fast, that pull felt pretty much the same as what I'm used to." "What you do you mean I'm going 100 mph?"

Last edited:
That's interesting because the 350 had a pretty damn heavy clutch with a lot of feedback. You get used to the power rather quick, it's just that you are nearly doubling your power but that wears off pretty quick. If you want some more nice might wanna look at used G37s or Q60 (or w/e they call em now) which is basically a nicer 370z.