Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

GRtak;n3554982 said:
The rules covering whether or not those lights need to be covered vary from state to state. In Michigan, that is a requirement, but I see modern light bars without covers all the time. I have also seen old school lights that had thermostatically controlled louvers. The police are the weak link with how the laws are applied, and there are always work arounds.

From what I can see, most states seem to be confused as to whether an LED light bar is legally one light, an array of multiple lights or whether it's something else. Eventually it'll get figured out, I suppose.

Most states that have a limit of the number of lights consider it to be a single light. It is sold as one part number, has one plug, and is contained within a single housing. DOT also considers OEM light arrays to be low beam or full beam, regardless of how many emitters are there. The same is true for LED tail lights and turn signals. Both Acura and Cadillac have multiple light emitters in individually lensed projectors to make up their "headlight" (singular).

xxkfxaq.jpg

o6lIv4R.jpg

GRtak;n3554989 said:
If you put it behind the windshield (what is the rear windshield BTW?), you will blind yourself with the reflection off the glass.

You never heard rear window being called a winshield? Also depends on how close it is, I mean cops rung their light bars behind windows all the time and don't get blinded.

It makes me genuinely happy on the very rare occasion that I see someone with aftermarket HIDs that are done properly. Good cutoff, not blinding, proper projector, aimed correctly.... very rare but I respect anyone that actually puts the time and effort in to get a proper setup.

That said, I've been completely spoiled by my factory HIDs. I can never go back to reflectors again.

I don't think I have ever seen that in my life, do agree on factory HIDs, I wish there were proper aftermarket HIDs for my X.

Speaking of lighting, I'm doing 2 lighting mods on the Fiesta in the near future. The first will be done early next week and photos will be posted then.

The second will take a little while longer since I need to make a custom wire harness and figure out some added details on which bulbs to get and whatnot. Will post WIPs in my FiST thread when I start the project.

prizrak;n3555018 said:
I don't think I have ever seen that in my life, do agree on factory HIDs, I wish there were proper aftermarket HIDs for my X.

Proper conversions, surprisingly, are apparently common in the 3rd gen 4Runner world. Take the stock housings apart, install factory or aftermarket (usually Morimoto) projector units, reinstall.

[video=youtube;-YrzD6-jHQU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YrzD6-jHQU&t=621s[/video]

A friend of mine did that on his Grand Marquis getting most of the parts from Retrofit Source. He had multiple prople ask him how he got OE projectors on his car and they were shocked to find out that he made them himself.

Welp, my to-do list just got even longer.

Guess I can use the much-easier-to-source JDM headlights for the Legacy now instead of having to dig around in continental Europe, since the reflector direction is no longer relevant.

That said, anyone know if there are conversions with electric leveling motors as you see in factory applications? Wagons tend to get a bit ass-heavy and I'm not afraid of electricity.

EyeMWing;n3555042 said:
That said, anyone know if there are conversions with electric leveling motors as you see in factory applications? Wagons tend to get a bit ass-heavy and I'm not afraid of electricity.

No auto-leveling, but people have adapted factory leveling motors under manual control. I checked my bookmarks but I haven't been able to find a reference I'd saved for someone who showed how to do it on most any car with cannibalized BMW leveling motors.

EyeMWing;n3555042 said:
JDM headlights for the Legacy

Didn't you have some even older Subie wagon you were looking for parts for? I was at the junkyard today and came across a complete rust free GL wagon today:

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/farm5.staticflickr.com\/4896\/31070703827_7e4f9c27ba_z.jpg"}[/IMG2]
IMG_7290

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/farm5.staticflickr.com\/4818\/44193988900_43e9e3a28d_z.jpg"}[/IMG2]
IMG_7291

Oh right, I still have sealed beams on the MR2. Once it comes out of hibernation it's getting H4s.

Spectre;n3555046 said:
Didn't you have some even older Subie wagon you were looking for parts for? I was at the junkyard today and came across a complete rust free GL wagon today:

What I've got is a '90 Legacy. And at the rate the rust is progressing versus my rate of rust repair, I'm gonna need a new first-gen bodyshell in the next year....

That's a damn fine looking GL, though.

EyeMWing;n3555064 said:
What I've got is a '90 Legacy. And at the rate the rust is progressing versus my rate of rust repair, I'm gonna need a new first-gen bodyshell in the next year....

That's a damn fine looking GL, though.

Went to a different location, spotted this:

IMG_7531

IMG_7533

IMG_7537

IMG_7538

One each rust free Texas 1990 John Wayne LeGacy. Seems intact if a bit disgusting inside. Need any parts?

Manual transmission! With a shift boot!

I need that trim surround and the shift boot. It just pops off.

Also, both front fenders, but particularly the driver's side.

A very strong argument could be made for "I actually kinda need the entire body shell and the engine"

EyeMWing;n3555101 said:
Manual transmission! With a shift boot!

I need that trim surround and the shift boot. It just pops off.

Also, both front fenders.

A very strong argument could be made for "I actually kinda need the entire body shell and the engine"

They will not sell the body shell. They will sell the engine but you just missed the half price sale - there may be another one coming up, though. PM me and we'll see what we can work out.

Went to take the family van to get inspected, after it had a simultaneous holed radiator and blown brake line fixed.

Just about to pull in, and what does the car decide to do?

If you answered "pick that very moment to throw a CEL," you'd be correct.

Aaaaaarrrgh.

Wife has misjudged the width of the Xterra, as a result it is now in a body shop for the week to get rear door and quarter repainted, taking the opportunity to also fix some other random damage. Won't be cheap but will be one sexy beast.

CrzRsn;n3555025 said:
Speaking of lighting, I'm doing 2 lighting mods on the Fiesta in the near future. The first will be done early next week and photos will be posted then.

The second will take a little while longer since I need to make a custom wire harness and figure out some added details on which bulbs to get and whatnot. Will post WIPs in my FiST thread when I start the project.

Did some lighting work over in my FiST thread