Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Okay...who else is up for flying there and torching that thing?

EDIT: so some sleuthing around your local AutoTrader has provided us with some local and considerably less crappy alternatives to replace your Triumph. For example, this 190, this other 190, and this Accord(TSX for Americans)for something more modern but still pretty good for driving.

Again, DO NOT FIX THE (lack of anything resembling a) TRIUMPH

i get it, i would also fix it

how you guys can propose a bland and boring 190 as replacement for such a personality is beyong me
if you would've proposed a jag XJ6 or sth, i would understand

bone;n3555405 said:

how you guys can propose a bland and boring 190 as replacement for such a personality is beyong me

Because he dumped his commuters and this is all he has left? And this is literally an anchor around his neck?

He needs a reliable transport and **not the shitboxes recommended by his local BL worshipping friends** he's bought in the past.

Anything more interesting, like an XJ6, is going to chew up his finances - and the 190 is a lot less bland than walking or bumming rides everywhere. I would also point out that even with the base cars, it's easy to uprate a 190 to be a lot more interesting to drive without compromising reliability.

bone;n3555405 said:

You know, being a terrible person (or car, in this case), also counts as "having a personality".
Can't he have something with a good personality instead?
I am all for having crap cars, but you need the boring/reliable daily driver to afford such a hobby.

Nah, I've still got multiple cars, namely the Triumph (Honda) Acclaim (Ballade). The Doloshite is no longer the daily driver and as thus I'm in no rush to repair it.

The plan has been to use the car's current engine to expiry ever since I last returned it to the road on account of it being utterly fucked. On top on grumbling bearings it featured piston slap, recessed valves, missing teeth on the flywheel, and a rocker assembly pieced together with second hand bits, at some point it'd been run on old oil and sludged up and I'm also pretty confident the car has been around the clock and is a 138,000 mile example. Given how cheap and plentiful Triumph OHV engines are (I've acquired one for free from an abandoned project) it makes more sense to rebuild another engine, which is highly unlikely to be worse than the original, and have it ready to swap straight into the car when it's complete.

I will confess I was hoping it was going to last until I moved house

captain_70s;n3555411 said:
Nah, I've still got multiple cars, namely the Triumph (Honda) Acclaim (Ballade). The Doloshite is no longer the daily driver and as thus I'm in no rush to repair it.

The plan has been to use the car's current engine to expiry ever since I last returned it to the road on account of it being utterly fucked. On top on grumbling bearings it featured piston slap, recessed valves, missing teeth on the flywheel, and a rocker assembly pieced together with second hand bits, at some point it'd been run on old oil and sludged up and I'm also pretty confident the car has been around the clock and is a 138,000 mile example. Given how cheap and plentiful Triumph OHV engines are (I've acquired one for free from an abandoned project) it makes more sense to rebuild another engine, which is highly unlikely to be worse than the original, and have it ready to swap straight into the car when it's complete.

I will confess I was hoping it was going to last until I moved house

That's not reliable either and you've already mentioned the Acclaim is a rustbox on the border of dangerously unsafe.

Has it not occurred to you *why* those engines are being given away?

narf;n3555386 said:
And while you're at it, maybe a modern body around that modern engine?

I see what you did there.

Well, once again, I can't create a new topic, so I guess I'll post this here for now.

Lately, there's been much upheaval in the small space that is U.S. stage rally:

It looks like RallyAmerica (RA) has folded its tents and disappeared into the desert. This follows two years of very contentious wrangling for position between it and the upstart American Rally Association (ARA). The collapse of RA has left ARA in a very odd position; having more events than it may be able to handle with its current staff and with most of the premium stage rallies in the U.S. now vying to be on the ARA schedule. For 2019, ARA’s just announced 3-tier series has 9 National rallies, 2 Super Regionals and 5 Regionals.

This surfeit of events has created a raft of related problems which are forcing ARA to revise its championship rules. The good news is that none of the events are being dropped, at least for now.

To view the schedule and read about individual events, go to:
https://www.americanrallyassociation.org/schedule

I would rather stay home and drink something warm than be on the road during a snow storm with the idiots that I have seen lately.

Proper 4x4 with All Seasons, also @ScarFace88 that's not accurate when engine braking a 4x4 you will slow down faster than 2WD because all 4 wheels are slowing down at the same rate. Team O'Neill rally school even has a video confirming that theory.

Proper 4x4 with All Seasons, also @ScarFace88 that's not accurate when engine braking a 4x4 you will slow down faster than 2WD because all 4 wheels are slowing down at the same rate. Team O'Neill rally school even has a video confirming that theory.

Don't just engine brake, use the actual brakes :tease: