Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Who the hell drives around in low range during a snow storm?

And for the record, the O'Neill rally school braking videos were questionable at best and outright terrible at worst. One of their "scientific tests" claimed that when panic braking with with ABS disabled and all 4 tires locked, 4WD somehow magically stops quicker than 2WD. In reality, watching the video it was pretty obvious the guy slowed down before the braking zone on the 4WD test. Their later video about 4WD stopping quicker when not locked was more defensible.

Last edited:
And for the record, the O'Neill rally school braking videos were questionable at best and outright terrible at worst. One of their "scientific tests" claimed that when panic braking with with ABS disabled and all 4 tires locked, 4WD somehow magically stops quicker than 2WD. In reality, watching the video it was pretty obvious the guy slowed down before the braking zone on the 4WD test. Their later video about 4WD stopping quicker when not locked was more defensible.

If all four wheels are locked it shouldn't matter what locked them and how.

Settle a debate. What would you rather drive through a major snow storm: FWD manual with an LSD and snow tires (Acura TL) or a true 4x4 with all-seasons (Grand Cherokee)?

In a major snow storm with more than significant accumulation? Grand Cherokee over TL. Why?

aCIgcZt.jpg

Ground clearance if nothing else.

Also irrelevant to the original question, you'd need to compare 4WD A/S with 2WD snow tyres.

Also, there's the small matter of just *which* of the Jeep 4WD systems the Grand Cherokee has. Some have open axle diffs, some have LSD in the back, some have LSD in the front and rear, some have lockers, some have LSD *and* lockers....

No, no it really doesn't. That's not a thing that anyone with two brain cells to rub together would do.
So if you are trying to get through really deep snow that you can't get through in 4HI you wouldn't use 4LO?

And summer tires have what to do with the question? I would also point out that SUVs can get all terrain tires, which depending one which you get are better in the snow than a regular on road A/S tire.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_four-wheel-drive_systems#Quadra-Trac_II

Depending on the year, QT2 has a special snow mode that improves the system further. Yeah, I'd take the Jeep in deep snow. You lose traction with the A/S tires but you won't get high centered in the deep snow. Also, if you discover a curb hidden under the snow, you're a lot less likely to damage something.
I agree with Spectre here, comparing Xterra vs Audi vs Subaru that I had the first one is significantly less affected and also more predictable in a snow storm.

And summer tires have what to do with the question? I would also point out that SUVs can get all terrain tires, which depending one which you get are better in the snow than a regular on road A/S tire.

Closest comparison I could find. I will say last year on my half worn Yokohama Geolander A/Ts in a 6 inch fresh snow (was not compacted) I had a little off. Road was off-camber, I was going slightly too fast and slid off the road. I was able to just drive right out back on to the road and no harm was done, but I would like to see if winter tires would have done better in the same situation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_four-wheel-drive_systems#Quadra-Trac_II

Depending on the year, QT2 has a special snow mode that improves the system further. Yeah, I'd take the Jeep in deep snow. You lose traction with the A/S tires but you won't get high centered in the deep snow. Also, if you discover a curb hidden under the snow, you're a lot less likely to damage something.
2017 so it does have a snow mode. Basically all it does is change the torque split from 40/60 f/r to 50/50 and smooths out shift points. The specific scenario I have in mind is driving mostly on highways while mother nature dumps a foot of snow so I'm not worried about hidden curbs or even getting high-centered. I'm leaning towards TL with snow tires.

So if you are trying to get through really deep snow that you can't get through in 4HI you wouldn't use 4LO?
Wouldn't that just increase torque, which is the opposite of what you want?

I agree with Spectre here, comparing Xterra vs Audi vs Subaru that I had the first one is significantly less affected and also more predictable in a snow storm.
What kind of tires did they all have? I haven't driven a real 4x4 on snow tires but Subarus on snow tires are really great, better than Audi imho.

Closest comparison I could find. I will say last year on my half worn Yokohama Geolander A/Ts in a 6 inch fresh snow (was not compacted) I had a little off. Road was off-camber, I was going slightly too fast and slid off the road. I was able to just drive right out back on to the road and no harm was done, but I would like to see if winter tires would have done better in the same situation.
Completely different animal. Summers get hard in low temps, and slide around even on dry roads. Putting a summer tire on snow = instant slip even where an A/S tire wouldn't have any issues. I had summers completely lose grip on like .1" of snow before going 5mph (pulling into a parking lot), while same car (Mustang) I drove in slushy conditions on A/S tires with little issue aside from having to big toe it a little and decrease speed in general.

Wouldn't that just increase torque, which is the opposite of what you want?
It also slows down how quickly the wheels turn so instead of just sitting there spinning tires you are driving very slowly.

What kind of tires did they all have? I haven't driven a real 4x4 on snow tires but Subarus on snow tires are really great, better than Audi imho.
All seasons on all of em, though different brands/tire sizes. Subaru was better in the snow than the Audi, but it also had higher ground clearance.

No, 4LO would provide zero benefit. It's a torque multiplier and allows you to crawl steep obstacles better - in deep snow extra torque doesn't do you any good because you're already traction-limited.

I think I will take this in a snow storm, thank you very much. :D :devilish:

I would still rather stay home where it is nice and warm.

No, 4LO would provide zero benefit. It's a torque multiplier and allows you to crawl steep obstacles better - in deep snow extra torque doesn't do you any good because you're already traction-limited.
Then explain to me how was I able to get through deep snow with 4LO but not 4HI?