Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Paid Review :p

I can get you a quote by my GM buddy that says the same thing :razz:. Problem with the Caddy is that their corporate interior design is just so lackluster and the materials are just bad. Also the powertrain options on the Caddy aren't great. We'll see when both go on sale later this year, but if the Navigator vs Escalade rivalry is anything to go by, I stand by my original statement.

I dunno I see way more Escalades around here than Navigators. They are all TLC cars though.
They still sell a lot more Escalades per year, but they weren't expecting Navigator to be as good as it was and to steal as many sales as it did. They started a $10,000 incentive campaign to fight Navigator sales, and a dealer around here even went beyond that and offered an extra $10,000 if you traded in a new Navigator.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/c...vigator-expedition-ford-production/326282002/

They still sell a lot more Escalades per year, but they weren't expecting Navigator to be as good as it was and to steal as many sales as it did. They started a $10,000 incentive campaign to fight Navigator sales, and a dealer around here even went beyond that and offered an extra $10,000 if you traded in a new Navigator.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/c...vigator-expedition-ford-production/326282002/

Not so sure about that conclusion regarding Navigator sales panicking Caddy. Here's the year end sales data for the class.

Screen Shot 2019-01-28 at 15.08.45

Also, the Navigator, being all new, was likely to get a sales bump. I think the Cadillac incentivization was more due to the panic they're apparently having about their overall brand sales dropping.

Errrr, the Navigator sold 18k units in 2018 per goodcarbadcar. Like I said, Cadillac sold more units in 2018 (36k for 2018), but they missed their sales target, largely due to customers going for the Lincoln (EDIT: Didn't see the YTD column). While there definitely is truth to the statement that the Lincoln got a bones due to its "newness", there is till unarguable evidence that the ride quality is better, and that is a HUGE factory for customers in this market segment. Furthermore, I have heard multiple rumors from various people with intimate knowledge of the subject that the Navigator threw the Escalade team into an unplanned major engineering program to update the Escalade.

Last edited:
CrzRsn said:
(see 2019 Ram 1500, when your turn indicator is on, that side brake light is off despite being a different color)

Wtf? That's udderly stupid.

BTW, interesting point on Roxor. I looked at it briefly, it's more expensive than say a lower end Kubota SxS. Guess it depends on what you need.

Either way, given the choice, I'd probably get a Honda Acty or some other Kei truck for $4-5k...

Per regulations it must be visible on non-commercial vehicles while in operation. Especially on vehicles that still use red turn indicators (base model Gladiator does, looks like premium Gladiator does too) its incredibly, its pretty critical to have a CHMSL. But even some applications of amber turn indicators are poorly executed (see 2019 Ram 1500, when your turn indicator is on, that side brake light is off despite being a different color).

Let me know how many vehicles you see on the road that have functioning 3rd brake lights especially trucks compared with those that don't work. Trucks especially seem to have problems which may be to down to water getting into the housing, the bulb overheating and burning out or something else. I don't think the 3rd brake light being blocked for a short amount of time (because it's not like you're daily-ing with stuff hanging out) is that big of a deal. You have a point yes, I do agree.

I can get you a quote by my GM buddy that says the same thing :razz:. Problem with the Caddy is that their corporate interior design is just so lackluster and the materials are just bad. Also the powertrain options on the Caddy aren't great. We'll see when both go on sale later this year, but if the Navigator vs Escalade rivalry is anything to go by, I stand by my original statement.

I really wonder if GM ever bothers to look at the competition. I know with the Corvette they don't. If you listen to The Smoking Tire Podcast titled Bredan McAleer, Brand Brownell, Matt talks about being on a press shoot with GM with Corvettes how the engineers think they're making the best car and theres no need to do anything else, if it goes fast, great we're done. If this extends down to other areas of their cars (not speed being the only thing but focusing one item), then I can see why things are the way they are. 1:13:10-1:14:17

[video]

If GM focus' on one thing, utility, people capacity, how fast a car goes, then you get cars that GM produces. One trick ponies. This is my theory on why parts of GM vehicles suck. Do they do the thing they're supposed to do? Great! Is the interior boring? Yeah but it does what you want, right?

Last edited:
Went to the Detroit Autoshow yesterday. Was a total snoozefest.

Notes:
  • The Lincoln Continental Coach Door Edition is neat. The Aviator is a gorgeous 3 row family SUV. I don't think Cadillac's new XT6 has any chance against it.
They brought the Aviator to Houston last weekend of course it was locked and no new Explorers. I read one of the press releases about the Explorer/Aviator saying you can get a 4' wide piece of material in the back any idea how much wiggle room there is once said material is loaded? When it is time to get rid of our Edge the Explorer/Aviator are 1/2 on the list. We also checked out a $65k Jeep and thought it was nice but I am not sure we can justify spending $15k more on a Jeep over the Aviator.

If Lincoln can gain some traction with the Aviator/Navigator the import crowd might need to start taking notice.

Let me know how many vehicles you see on the road that have functioning 3rd brake lights especially trucks compared with those that don't work. Trucks especially seem to have problems which may be to down to water getting into the housing, the bulb overheating and burning out or something else. I don't think the 3rd brake light being blocked for a short amount of time (because it's not like you're daily-ing with stuff hanging out) is that big of a deal. You have a point yes, I do agree.

Yes, but theres a difference between visible and non-functioning and designed to be invisible from the factory. And the 3rd brake light being blocked for a short time obviously isn't a big deal, but its still shouldn't have been designed that way.

The only other CHMSL I remember mounted on a tailgate was another Mopar product. The last few years of the square body Dakota had it in a similar spot.

The first gen Dakota ran from 1987-1996. The CHMSL was mandated on small trucks starting with the 1994 model year so they just stuck a light to the tailgate in order not to tear up the sheetmetal and ran wiring from the taillights. Was just a stopgap measure since the 2nd gen Dakota development was well underway.

I know the F150, Ranger and Ram 1500 all had lights to illuminate the bed that they could repurpose for the CHMSL in the traditional spot. I’m guessing Chrysler was just being Chrysler and didn’t feel like running wires up there for whatever reason.

Let me know how many vehicles you see on the road that have functioning 3rd brake lights especially trucks compared with those that don't work.

That may be a Rust Belt thing. Down here and out West it's rare to see a CHMSL that *isn't* working. Especially trucks. I can pull dashcam footage if you want to see how it looks when pretty much everything with a CHMSL has it working.

The only other CHMSL I remember mounted on a tailgate was another Mopar product. The last few years of the square body Dakota had it in a similar spot.

The 02-09 Dodge Ram 3500HD duallies could have a factory tailgate mounted CHMSL or marker, can't quite remember which it was as I think I saw it used both ways.

004.jpg

How may people drive around with their tailgates down for no reason or missing one entirely? (A ton really)

I really wonder if GM ever bothers to look at the competition. I know with the Corvette they don't.
That's mostly because there is essentially no competition for the Corvette, it's nearly supercar levels of performance for a fraction of the price.

That may be a Rust Belt thing. Down here and out West it's rare to see a CHMSL that *isn't* working. Especially trucks. I can pull dashcam footage if you want to see how it looks when pretty much everything with a CHMSL has it working.

Maybe not a Rust Belt thing but a "state with no safety inspection" thing. I can pull dashcam footage from my commute everyday (about 20 miles) and count 15-20 cars with at least one of the three taillights out.

I think that was just a clearance marker. I'll keep an eye out for one to double check.

Also fairly sure those were just clearance lights.

How may people drive around with their tailgates down for no reason or missing one entirely? (A ton really)

Not down here in Truckland. Most people with trucks apparently saw the Mythbusters episode demonstrating that a truck actually gets better fuel economy with the tailgate up and almost all are seen that way. It's very unusual to see trucks with a missing or lowered tailgate and an empty bed; the exception is when someone's tailgate gets stolen, which these days is getting more and more rare.

Not down here in Truckland. Most people with trucks apparently saw the Mythbusters episode demonstrating that a truck actually gets better fuel economy with the tailgate up and almost all are seen that way. It's very unusual to see trucks with a missing or lowered tailgate and an empty bed; the exception is when someone's tailgate gets stolen, which these days is getting more and more rare.
In AZ I still see a lot of trucks running around with a net where the tailgate should be. But yes, running with the tailgate up is much better for fuel economy, especially if you have a newer truck with at thicker tailgate and integrated spoiler.

Fun fact, I regularly work in that wind tunnel with some of the people featured in the video.

Or you could get an AeroX cover :LOL:https://www.mivehiclesolutions.com/aero-x-conversion-kit/