Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Has anyone ever done a clutch on a 68 Mercury? I haven't either, but I feel that's about to change.

God I love/hate old cars. Fix one thing, and 3 more things break.

Closest bet is @NotLaw or @SquareLeft

Has anyone ever done a clutch on a 68 Mercury? I haven't either, but I feel that's about to change.

67 Fairlane, but it's probably about the same other than the fact that I made mine hydraulic instead of mechanical.
It's the same as pretty much any other RWD clutch.
Probably about as easy as a clutch job can get really.

It's the nice thing about old cars; sure they need more maintenance, but at least it's usually easier.

Don't have to remove 1000 bolts to get stuff out, nor remove items B through Z to get to item A.

On the other hand... rust lol

The trick is fixing everything at once. That way you aren't chasing the weakest link up the chain as you replace the previous one.

Ahh, the "As Long as I'm in There..." syndrome.

Ahh, the "As Long as I'm in There..." syndrome.

The reason I haven't yet started anything major in the old Mustang... :lmao:

I want the AC working, but if I do that I have to do some work under the dash with the vacuum line monster of doom to get the HVAC controls fully functional. And when I put the additional load of a compressor back in the system I probably need to do a fairly major tuneup which probably isn't worth it so I may as well fully redo the engine, at which point it's probably just as cost effective to drop in a new crate engine. The wiring harnesses would also need redone since they're due and if the engine were out there's no better time. And at that point with new engine power I would need to upgrade the rear axle setup and redo the suspension. So if I start I'm basically rebuilding the car :-?

Today is the first day of spring! So time to roll the windows down, enjoy the breeze, an--oh dear god what is that noise!?

@Nabster, how original is your Mustang?

Today is the first day of spring! So time to roll the windows down, enjoy the breeze, an--oh dear god what is that noise!?

That's why I drop the on the Smart every time I drive it, not only do you never get used to not hearing the noises but the wind noise cancels them out anyway! :D

@Nabster, how original is your Mustang?

Engine isn't the original one, it's a later replacement of the same size that came out of a truck. My great uncle installed it with some mystery cam and an Edelbrock intake sometime around the early 80s when my mom had it, my mom later changed it to a 4 barrel Edelbrock carb in the early 90s. Pretty much evertything else is original though, which is why I'm not all that fussed about changing the engine if it comes to it.

Engine isn't the original one, it's a later replacement of the same size that came out of a truck. My great uncle installed it with some mystery cam and an Edelbrock intake sometime around the early 80s when my mom had it, my mom later changed it to a 4 barrel Edelbrock carb in the early 90s. Pretty much evertything else is original though, which is why I'm not all that fussed about changing the engine if it comes to it.

363 crate motor, needs to happen. It’s the largest short desk Windsor, direct bolt in.

That's not what she said.
:drums::p