Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Maybe you need a better car that doesn't have "European" suspension to cope with those roads.

You're saying this is worse? Your holes have been filled at least. The ones in my video are a good few inches deep. I was going slightly above speed limit to in theory go over instead of travel into the holes.

Sits here in Missouri and thinks, "Our roads aren't all that bad."

Shhh, your state congress critters might here you and cut the road budget for the next decade.

1215345181.jpg

Dog owners don't care if cameras are pointed in their direction. :D

Shhh, your state congress critters might here you and cut the road budget for the next decade.

The trouble we are having is getting a little more road tax. We are either the lowest or darned near. Hasn't been raised in like 20 years and they aren't selling much more fuel, but the cost of building roads isn't getting cheaper.

We are looking at raising our fuel taxes here too. It is to much in my opinion, but they do need to be raised.

You're saying this is worse? Your holes have been filled at least. The ones in my video are a good few inches deep.
1kdDpjx.jpg

(Yes I know, I omitted the second half of your comment, but I couldn’t resist!)

We are looking at raising our fuel taxes here too. It is to much in my opinion, but they do need to be raised.
  1. How much fuel tax does Michigan currently pay?
  2. Do you guys get a breakdown of where the taxes ostensibly go?

Fuel taxes should only be raised if:
  1. All non-road related expenses paid by fuel tax revenues are ended or funded by something else. This includes bicycle paths, parks, and "educational projects."
  2. All projects have been audited and most (not all, because that's not going to happen) waste/inefficiency eliminated
  3. All 'bridges to nowhere' type projects should be killed.

Then and only then should taxes be raised. Most of the time enough waste and unrelated projects can be found that actual tax raises wouldn't be necessary.

Random thought #1: after driving an 01 Focus and a mid-90s Accord loaners for two weeks, I realize that I'm very happy with my Acura and don't want a different car. It's quick, very comfortable, looks nice. Life is good.

Random thought #2: same story every spring - I switch over to summer tires and life improves dramatically. TL is now quiet, responsive, grippy, and the tires aren't Q rated. Whoo!!

Random thought #3: I'll post a video of one particular road in MA that has horrific pavement. As in, 15mph even in the Jeep kind of terrible.

Random thought #4: Spectre, do you still have a Jag? Just realized that I haven't seen you mention any in ages but maybe I just haven't paid attention.

Random thought #4: Spectre, do you still have a Jag? Just realized that I haven't seen you mention any in ages but maybe I just haven't paid attention.

Yup, still have my 87. It's hibernating, awaiting more time and money.

TIL trying to dry your car after a wash by repeatedly accelerating at full chat from rolling starts results in streaks.

And brake dust.

And road debris on the flanks.

And bits of rubber behind the rear wheels. :LOL:

(I lied, I’ve known this for years, I just can’t stop doing it, and cackling with glee).

Sitrep: 3 years later, I still love the big stupid Dodge as much as ever. I bought the right car.

:LOL:

Theres a guy who used to do a lot of photoshops under the name CWW Car Design that made some really nice looking Jeep and Land Rover sedans. Sadly it looks like his site is offline :(

EDIT: Found some low resolution caches on Google Images
Jq5a0Vh.png

uD7okjb.png

Z3iwIjp.png

FpxzDP6.png

BCB6Ka8.png

That 3rd Land Rover sedan (rear of the silver one) looks like a Lada

Remember that guy that made the BMW X5M powered Soviet dump truck? Well his new project is coming together quite nicely...

9HQgVj2.png

Link?