Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

I wonder how long it will be until "Save the manuals" morphs into "Save the transmissions", what with all these new all electric vehicles coming out.

I remember so many discussions about how much better all these fancy twin clutch gear boxes are compared to manual transmissions, because of their speed and efficiency, but these new electric cars are direct drive. Constant uninterrupted power delivery. For the same reasons that a twin clutch is better than a stick, these direct drive EV's are better than a twin clutch. I imagine it won't be long before fans of these gearboxes are making the exact same arguments that the "Save the manual" crowd have been making for quite a few years now. You know, "driving involvement" and all that.

:whistle:

cough Karting cough

The only two rear axles that the X ever had were the C200 or the M226. If he said the Off Road didn't have the locking diff he doesn't know what he's talking about, that is literally the defining equipment difference between the Off Road/Pro-4X and the rest of the trim packages.
I'm aware and not arguing with you, the dude himself told me he was rather confused by what came up in their system, all I am saying is that this is what Nissan's own database says.

And since there have been some incremental changes between different years of our cars it's not too far fetched that there might be some small differences in the axles. Or Nissan simply decided they couldn't be arsed with selling individual parts.

I wonder how long it will be until "Save the manuals" morphs into "Save the transmissions", what with all these new all electric vehicles coming out.

I remember so many discussions about how much better all these fancy twin clutch gear boxes are compared to manual transmissions, because of their speed and efficiency, but these new electric cars are direct drive. Constant uninterrupted power delivery. For the same reasons that a twin clutch is better than a stick, these direct drive EV's are better than a twin clutch. I imagine it won't be long before fans of these gearboxes are making the exact same arguments that the "Save the manual" crowd have been making for quite a few years now. You know, "driving involvement" and all that.

:whistle:

All EVs on the market today have transmissions, single speed transmissions usually.

I'm aware and not arguing with you, the dude himself told me he was rather confused by what came up in their system, all I am saying is that this is what Nissan's own database says.

And since there have been some incremental changes between different years of our cars it's not too far fetched that there might be some small differences in the axles. Or Nissan simply decided they couldn't be arsed with selling individual parts.

Did some checking once the local dealers opened, because on reflection the pics you posted didn't look like a D44's setup. The D44 is Titan/Armada only, so whoever told you otherwise was mistaken or stupid.

On the up side, a garage here in Utah recently figured out how to make the Xterra/Frontier computer not freak out if you install the larger Titan brakes and master, so a full D44 swap is now possible.

Did some checking once the local dealers opened, because on reflection the pics you posted didn't look like a D44's setup. The D44 is Titan/Armada only, so whoever told you otherwise was mistaken or stupid.
That’s interesting, if you look up my car on RockAuto parts for rear axle do actually list it as D44. Thanks for checking for me though :)

That’s interesting, if you look up my car on RockAuto parts for rear axle do actually list it as D44. Thanks for checking for me though :)

The M226 is a heavily modified Dana 44 design, but it is modified to the point where it shares no parts and no parts interchange. Some people think it is a Dana 44, but the only actual D44s in recent Nissan history are in the Titan and Armada. It doesn't even look like a D44; the M226 is basically Nissan looking at the D44LD put under early Titans and saying, "We can do it better than they did" and making a new axle loosely patterned on it.

Or put another way, without making any implications regarding quality (especially because prevailing thought is that the Nissan axles are stronger), M226 is to D44 as Taco Bell is to real Mexican food - one is inspired by and takes elements from the other to make something considerably different.

The M226 is a heavily modified Dana 44 design, but it is modified to the point where it shares no parts and no parts interchange. Some people think it is a Dana 44, but the only actual D44s in recent Nissan history are in the Titan and Armada. It doesn't even look like a D44.
Oh makes sense, thanks again.

The M226 is a heavily modified Dana 44 design, but it is modified to the point where it shares no parts and no parts interchange. Some people think it is a Dana 44, but the only actual D44s in recent Nissan history are in the Titan and Armada. It doesn't even look like a D44; the M226 is basically Nissan looking at the D44LD put under early Titans and saying, "We can do it better than they did" and making a new axle loosely patterned on it.

Or put another way, without making any implications regarding quality (especially because prevailing thought is that the Nissan axles are stronger), M226 is to D44 as Taco Bell is to real Mexican food - one is inspired by and takes elements from the other to make something considerably different.

But only if Taco Bell was actually better than real Mexican food. :p

A coworker just offered me his friend's VW Phaeton for $3500. 4.2L V8, 220k miles, runs and drives, torn front seats, "no mechanical work needed."

Can't say I'm not tempted. At least the part of me that wants to build a really dumb rallycross car. Too bad its not a W12.

Also inb4 Spectre - yes, I know exactly how bad of an idea that would be.

Actually the 4.2 V8 is probably a better option. Pretty sure it's the same lump Audi used in the S6 amongst others. Still a money pit, just not quite as deep.

Watching a documentary on the Lotus Elise, and suddenly they talk about a car I forgotten: the Renault Spider.

renault_sport_spider_3.jpg

A coworker just offered me his friend's VW Phaeton for $3500. 4.2L V8, 220k miles, runs and drives, torn front seats, "no mechanical work needed."

Can't say I'm not tempted. At least the part of me that wants to build a really dumb rallycross car. Too bad its not a W12.

Also inb4 Spectre - yes, I know exactly how bad of an idea that would be.
BUILD a really dumb rallycross car?

It sounds like a great rallycross car as-is.
If it were a W12, just add magnetic numbers and it would be the greatest rallycross car ever constructed.

BUILD a really dumb rallycross car?

It sounds like a great rallycross car as-is.
If it were a W12, just add magnetic numbers and it would be the greatest rallycross car ever constructed.

Do not listen to this man, madness lies therein :p