Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Hagerty has done a few similar themed rebuild videos. I really enjoy watching them.

3 terrible posts to start out and you claim to have a Ferrari? Really? Prove it.

Can't even spell Ferrari. Oh right, school's out for summer.

Urge to tell Chase AKA Subaru Motors Finance to eat a dick and pay cash for a Supra Turbo rising.

In the past 24 hours they've gone from "approved" to "FRAUD ALERT" to "approved but you're gonna have to put cash down" to "nevermind that cash" to "we need more concrete proof of residence" (this is apparently impossible to satisfy with anything other than utility bills, which is great unless you don't get utility bills)

Broker is really working for his money on this one

Ok, I'll bite, why don't you get utility bills?

I reported that post as soon as I had read the others, clearly a bot. Looking forward to watching those engine rebuild videos when I get a chance.

They wanted proof of her address.

Of course, she'd just moved. And utilities are rolled into rent, and the move is so recent there wouldn't be any anyway. And literally all of her financial contact addresses are either her business or my address.

Ultimately what worked for them was... I am not shitting you... Instead of issuing updated driver's licenses, the California DMV tells you to HAND WRITE THE ADDRESS, SIGN AND DATE ANY RANDOM PIECE OF PAPER and present that along with your driver's license. A copy of that.

Admittedly, I'm totally with the bank on being totally skeeved out by this deal.
One Maryland address with fantastic credit and high income, one California address with garbage credit and nothing but self-employment income that amounts to "subsist off the contents of the cash drawer" where the only ledger entries are in the business' books*. And the driver is the poor one. And the last names don't match.

* This is on the 'yeah that needs fixing in general' list. She's going to add me as a member of the LLC and start filing as a corporation, which then allows her to payroll herself properly.

... Also, hell, I don't get utility bills in my name either. They're still in my father's from before I bought the house from him. Because paying them is his rent for the in-law unit.

And the cable bill is in the name of Wingus and Dingus Motorsport because it's business broadband, not consumer.

The random piece of paper is absolute gold.:ROFLMAO:

When I went to buy the Frontier I brought along all my self-employment papers. Guy looks at them and said, "Your book keeper sure does a good job of hiding your income." Which is great, except I don't have a book keeper, dad just plugs the numbers into TurboTax and it shows I don't make much of a profit. I fill out the form and left the income blank, he came back and said put down a number, so I wrote what the gross was, $80k. He didn't care one bit. :ROFLMAO:

By THAT reckoning we could have dropped $750k into that field instead of the vastly more honest "poverty".

Paperwork is hitting FedEx now, so probably taking possession by the end of the week.

Note to self for next time I'm out there: Set up Limited Power of Attorney for automotive transactions. Because California requires BOTH principal and agent to have their signature on the declaration notarized.

Which would make the whole thing EVEN MORE SKEEVY looking.

Better you than me.

Due to his own generosity, my father had to drive my mother's car last weekend. And promptly noticed that the tyres (or at least one) were dangerously damaged, as in "my mother parks so bad she ruins her tyrewalls". So, quick job, new all-season tyres. The old ones were from 2011. To quote my father, "it's like driving a new car".
sigh.... parents....

There are very few things more annoying then people who insist on going the Exact Same Speed as the other lane, while driving right next to another car, the only car even in the lane anywhere remotely nearby. And it is worse when someone is doing it intentionally for no reason?

Nothing like being late for something and having to deal with someone who passive aggressively speeds up every time you try go around them then slows down to block you when you aren't.

Like I don't even generally tailgate people unless I am completely blocked from passing for several miles. The left hand lane is the PASSING lane I am pretty blocking traffic because you refuse to pass the car to the right of you isn't supposed to be allowed any more then speeding is.

Driving to Johnson Space Center yesterday on I45 traffic is flowing nicely at a typical Houston 75 mph in a 60 all the sudden everyone slams on their brakes and traffic is now doing 40-45. This is Sunday morning at 10:30 this is not normal even for Houston. I happen to look ahead as we were on a hill and notice all four lanes are blocked by four cars lined up next to each other. About seven miles later as we slowly work our way to the front of the line what do we find a bunch of bro dicks in their lowered silverados followed by a bunch of jackasses in their lifted trucks and H2s all pacing each other in all four lanes FML you jackass SOBs.

Still waiting for contract to show up in the mail. FedEx overnight my arse. Fuckin' dealership.

Got her Civic appraised by CarMax. $6k to Carvana's $5500. I don't think we're going to do any better than that without weeks of dealing with flakey assholes on craigsface scamlistplace, so they can have it.

Went to change the battery on the Jeep because it won't charge anymore. It's like six years old and way undersized for cranking that big boat anchor (seriously, Jeep, WTF)

Grabbed the likeliest looking battery I've got (I have literally ten or twelve lead acid batteries, and none of them are any damn good, really should recycle those...) - the one year old unit from the parts Impreza that, just a month ago, totally ran a modern electronics-heavy car.

Too tall (like "can't close the hood and interferes with the radiator hose" tall), and, more importantly, ALSO showing less than 9v on the car's voltmeter. It COULD just be discharged, but more likely....

CHRYSLERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Dad requested a dashcam for his car so "when one of these assholes hits me there'll be evidence".

I take this to mean "He probably needs to not be driving anymore" but he's smart enough to never drive with me in the car. So yeah, he's getting a dashcam, and I'll check the situation out.

Last edited:
Dad requested a dashcam for his car so "when one of these assholes hits me there'll be evidence".

I take this to mean "He probably needs to not be driving anymore" but he's smart enough to never drive with me in the car. So yeah, he's getting a dashcam, and I'll check the situation out.

Viofo A119 if you’re looking.