Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

I'd happily daily a Twizzy instead of riding the bicycle or taking the public transportation. But then, considering for the price, you could get a Twingo, or a Logan MCV, or if you have that much in cash or some decent used car leasing option, a plethora of cars that are actually fun to drive while also being practical... And considering all of those are usable during all weather conditions, most of them have decent space and they are actually usable outside the city, it's hard to justify the Twizzy as a purchase. Oh, and if you want to go electric, there are used Nissan Leaves.

Don't get me wrong, as a company car, I'd happily take the Twizzy, or if I won one on a giveaway, or in any other case in which I don't have to spend my money on it. I sat it one and it seemed like it'd be fun to drive a car without actual doors, and everyone goes on about how fun it is. I guess some years down the road, if the depreciation hits it hard, and if you'd be able to find one with decent batteries or cheap replacement batteries, it'd make a damn good alternative for a small motorcycle, moped or even a small ICE car.

Kind of neat.

I, for one, welcome the e-vehicle revolution. The performance alone will be worth it - the only issue I have is with range, but as batteries get better and motors get smaller and more efficient, we can get there.

I'm not against electric vehicles, I actually welcome the e-vehicle revolution as well, but at the moment, until the battery technology gets better and cheaper, they just aren't worth it for most people. I think at the moment, at least from the fuel economy perspective, hybrids make most sense as daily drivers. Yes, they are heavy and usually don't bring much of the EV benefits, however, if you commute in the city but also need a car for longer drives, while not having money or space for two separate cars to do that, hybrids make most sense. That's why, if I won a lottery, I'd pick the new Toyota Corolla Hybrid as my daily driver.

I, for one, welcome the e-vehicle revolution. The performance alone will be worth it - the only issue I have is with range, but as batteries get better and motors get smaller and more efficient, we can get there.
I don't, because of the increase in weight of already heavy cars. The C7 Vette is considered a light car and it weighs 3300lbs, which is only 100lbs less than my old A4 was, despite it being an AWD sedan with auto and "luxury"

I've driven a few electric cars with staggering straight line performance, but the feel just isn't there. While significantly faster, a Tesla P100D in ludicrous mode just isn't as exciting as a 911 GT3. Part of it is absolutely the noise, but a lot of it is also how it gets there. And thats before you get to the first corner.

That's why, if I won a lottery, I'd pick the new Toyota Corolla Hybrid as my daily driver.

I absolutely am willing to bet you wouldn't.

Someone here has a garnet red S197 Mustang with Gotta Have it Green stripes, spoiler, and side skirts. I was going to take a pic, but I saw the owner and his wife walking towards it.

I'm not against electric vehicles, I actually welcome the e-vehicle revolution as well, but at the moment, until the battery technology gets better and cheaper, they just aren't worth it for most people. I think at the moment, at least from the fuel economy perspective, hybrids make most sense as daily drivers. Yes, they are heavy and usually don't bring much of the EV benefits, however, if you commute in the city but also need a car for longer drives, while not having money or space for two separate cars to do that, hybrids make most sense. That's why, if I won a lottery, I'd pick the new Toyota Corolla Hybrid as my daily driver.

Toyota hasn’t made a Corolla I would actually drive since they canned the XRS, and I wouldn’t fit in a one anyway.

35-40 MPG commuting in the Miata, I don't do a lot of miles so I'd maybe save a couple hundred dollars a year with a Hybrid...

Well, you're probably right, but then, it'd depend on the amount of money I'd win.
If I won enough to buy a Corolla, buying a car would be the last way I'd spend my mediocre winnings. If, on the other hand, I won enough to cover all my other expenses and investments and I got down the Want list far enough to look at cars, I wouldn't look at a Toyota.

If I won enough to buy a Corolla, buying a car would be the last way I'd spend my mediocre winnings. If, on the other hand, I won enough to cover all my other expenses and investments and I got down the Want list far enough to look at cars, I wouldn't look at a Toyota.

If, hypothetically, I had a stable job that required me to commute, and had spent some of the lottery money onto buying a house or an apartment, I'd get a hybrid car. Not necessarily a Corolla, maybe a Golf GTE or something else. The bonus is that the Corolla is available as a station wagon, while most of the other manufacturers here in Europe don't offer a compact hybrid station wagon. As a matter of fact, I can't think of any other compact hybrid station wagon sold in Europe right now. And no, crossovers don't count.

S, X, or a 3?
S. Drove it in 2016, still have the picture I took. I watched the sales guy turn on ludicrous mode (or was it insane mode back then?) and it just didn't feel all that fast to me. Surprisingly the car just overall didn't feel special... but maybe that was on purpose, to sell the nay-sayers on an electric car. In the end there just wasn't anything I truly liked about it. I still respect the fact that it exists, that's for sure!

I'd happily daily a Twizzy instead of riding the bicycle or taking the public transportation. But then, considering for the price, you could get a Twingo, or a Logan MCV, or if you have that much in cash or some decent used car leasing option, a plethora of cars that are actually fun to drive while also being practical... And considering all of those are usable during all weather conditions, most of them have decent space and they are actually usable outside the city, it's hard to justify the Twizzy as a purchase. Oh, and if you want to go electric, there are used Nissan Leaves.

but then you've ended up with another car, with taxes, with MOT, with parking and access restrictions, ...
she distinctively didn't want a car, so went for the twizy

i do wonder how she'll cope this winter indeed :D

If incentives in Belgium are that good, I'd definitely consider the Twizy a more viable option if I lived there. A shame that you don't get anything but EU incentives that I can't find much info about online here in Croatia. And even then, the Twizy would cost as much as a five-year old Clio dCi with about 150,000 km on the clock. Not to mention those incentives are limited in number and only given like once a year, from what I understood.

BTW, what's the Twizy classified as in Belgium, if not as a car? I think they're classified as normal electric cars here, because I've only seen them with car-size licence plates here.

Hagerty has done a few similar themed rebuild videos. I really enjoy watching them.

New one posted today. Buick Nailhead