Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Yes, I'm sure you can cram one of those into the front end of a commuter hatchback.

Yes, I'm sure you can cram one of those into the front end of a commuter hatchback.

There are people that take them out of dead junkyard trucks or buy them off Craigslist to put into their turbo commuter hatchbacks because it's an upgrade for them. The "Junkyard Intercooler" upgrade is far from unheard of.

The guys with the diesel trucks sell them on Craigslist because this is what they then upgrade to (as the stock intercoolers tend to be undersized), which doesn't fit in a hatchback.

MM-Installed-6.jpg

If it happens to a Fiat we get the tedious lecture on build quality and if it happens to a Ford we'd get the tedious lecture on road maintenance...we can't win here, it'll be the same boring and repetetive spam-posts we've read a hundred thousand times before...

I can't really see the point of visiting or writing here anymore when all the more knowledgeable and interesting people have left or aren't posting because everything gets drowned out by lazyly written walls of text that all conclude to "I'm the expert and everyone else is an idiot"...if you were so clever I'm sure there'd be better ways to apply your knowledge then posting on finalgear to a diminishing audience all day long. :)

Please spam less, it's honestly not very interesting.

Ah, so it's less of a FCA build quality problem and more of a "Shit American Infrastructure" problem.

Make Infrastructure Great Again. :)

Ah, so it's less of a FCA build quality problem and more of a "Shit American Infrastructure" problem.
Idk if you can call it an infra problem, rocks, screws and other road debris exist everywhere. Not knowing what punctured her intercooler or where it’s hard to say it’s a build quality issue, bad design (like lacking some protection) or just shit luck

Idk if you can call it an infra problem, rocks, screws and other road debris exist everywhere. Not knowing what punctured her intercooler or where it’s hard to say it’s a build quality issue, bad design (like lacking some protection) or just shit luck

It is, having been on European highways from Germany, Italy, Austria and B road Switzerland, it’s totally an us issue. The worst Italian highways had was some rough worn out pavement. General shit and gravel is unheard of.

It is, having been on European highways from Germany, Italy, Austria and B road Switzerland, it’s totally an us issue. The worst Italian highways had was some rough worn out pavement. General shit and gravel is unheard of.
I been over that way as well and while the quality of the surface was certainly better (especially considering we talking MA here) I’m sure there were plenty of things things that could puncture an intercooler. Things fall off cars all the time, both cargo and parts.

I been over that way as well and while the quality of the surface was certainly better (especially considering we talking MA here) I’m sure there were plenty of things things that could puncture an intercooler. Things fall off cars all the time, both cargo and parts.

Not to the LeVeL we have here. Not once was there an exploded tire in the roadway or the shoulder covered in gravel and broken glass.

Not to the LeVeL we have here. Not once was there an exploded tire in the roadway or the shoulder covered in gravel and broken glass.
I rarely see that on A roads in NY either, but maybe it's just because it's a major city so they clean up better :dunno:

Don't forget mattresses, furniture, ladders, and that one time I watched a goddamn refrigerator fly out of the back of a pickup on the highway.

I will say that while the European infrastructure has it's flaws, at least I don't have to worry about random debris as much. Nothing like swerving around a ladder at 75mph or watching a 2x4 piece of wood bounce up from behind a truck while on a motorcycle.

In this thread (EDIT: Looking at my recents, In this entire forum.)

Begins typing a long explanation of VPNs and why they are needed

That. Sucks.

Let me just add my two cents:

I am in the US right now. The amount of tires and other shit at the side of the highways is amazing, it's like nobody cares. Potholes in the cities that you can hide a whole Golf into. But then again, maybe we in Germany care more about the state of our roads because we are allowed to drive faster than walking speed and don't waste all our taxes on the military.

Regarding the spectre issue: he has spamming half-assed knowledge from Wikipedia for years, one of the reasons I stopped visiting the forums for sure. There is no more interesting discussions going on that don't immediately get torn to shreds by the holy trinity of Level, Spectre and prizrak. So yeah, have fun with your echo chamber.
To me, despite having only seen one real life picture of spectre so far, to me, the mental image of him is best described by what I see here in the US: some old guy with a VETERAN hat who did one thing in his life and keeps repeating the same stories over and over again to try to stay relevant in times that don't care any more, while all his relatives secretly wait for him to pass so they can have peace.

The way you three are ruining the forums experience for everyone else, driving people to leave Finalgear or move discussions elsewhere is a disgrace to Viper, this was his lifelong project and you are ruining it. Why don't you just take a dump on his grave while you are at it.

Last edited by a moderator:
torn to shreds by the holy trinity of Level, Spectre and prizrak.
The way you three are ruining the forums experience for everyone else,
That's funny because I only really post in GA and news (sometimes) sections and very rarely in politics. Yet I don't see much discussion going on in other sections.

That's funny because I only really post in GA and news (sometimes) sections and very rarely in politics. Yet I don't see much discussion going on in other sections.
I WONDER WHY

Jesus, I re-read Specter's posts and I'm totally baffled at this response. If anyone is driving people off this forum, it sure isn't Specter. He's just having a perfectly civil conversion about differences in intercooler quality. You know that is a real thing, right? Get a grip, people.

It is something I have sadly seen on many forums. and I'm not sure why. One presumes that different viewpoints are welcome on a forum and that if you ask a question, you will get an answer, irrespective of how you ask it (it is difficult to read tone on text. This is why we have emojis).

On this instance (I trust this will be useful for those who have muted one or more people in this convo), Spectre offered a reasonable suggestion (consider an upgrade for intercooler), public mentioned shit infrastructure, and got a reply not denying it and making a point about possible intercooler upgrades from full-size truck. Then Beni threw a clearly well-liked fillibuster. It came out of nowhere. To recap, this time it wasn't Cellos's going incandescent with rage for Jalopnik saying the radiator cap of a Fiat was somewhat leaky or LeV name-calling over guns/politics.

As for the "holy trinity", they don't seem to post much anymore. So D-Fence is not the only one tired of this. But when they do, they generally express an opinion counter to the zeitgeist or highlight a news topic relevant to their own personal views. Not at all different from what we normally do apart from on the subject matter?

Good right? Some debate? Nope, debate that goes too far and ends up with figurative shit flinging. I'm not sure what's the solution to this perceived problem. Do we just want them to go away and for conversations to have the depth of debate of the 'song stuck on my head' thread? Do we want them to stop looking for sources and presenting less researched, less informative text? Better still, as I alluded to earlier, do we just want them to shrug and go "that sucks" or "I disagree" and then they're easier to dismiss? Do we just trust one of the parties to disengage? Because that isn't FG.

The entire reason the community is so tight is because of our shared interests and opposed viewpoints about them. If we follow the rest of the internet and begin throwing hissy fits at every thread we're no better than any two bit schmuck forum with bad members and worse chemistry.

D-Fence mentioned that it was a disgrace the way they are 'ruining' the forum for everyone else. I disagree, if there is a disgrace apart from bringing the recently deceased into this shitfling, is that we're not honoring what he did like about the forum. Sensible debate and a tight-knit community that liked itself enough to be self-regulated without much admin intervention and got along well enough to defuse instead of overvolt.

On car related news my fucking stupid truck has EFI again. let's see if I can finally have a daily that can do 20MPG

What's been missed here isn't that it was just a recent thing but a cumulative amount of posts that have gotten to some of us. Knowing that if you post in this thread for example, you'll get a novel on why you're wrong and you've always been wrong and no amount of back story or other info that differs will ever sway the reason for why what you did was so incredibly stupid that you should just stop doing car things because you're useless anyways.

That's the issue, at least for me.