Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Just test drove a Grand Sport. Faaaakkkkkkk it's awesome!

Last edited:
Recently I've found myself obsessed with 5-cylinder cars, given that they 1) basically sound like V-10s but 2) are way less expensive than your average V-10 powered car. Being in the US and therefore denied the Fiat one they put in the Coupe, it looks like my options are:

-Turbo Volvo I5
-Non-turbo VW I5
-Acura Vigor/2.5TL
-Audi RS3/TT-RS

Is that really it?

Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon
W123 300D/TD
A bunch of other Audis from the 80s and 90s.

In a few years time you'll be able to import an early Td5 Defender or Discovery. Not sure why you'd want to do that...

Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon
W123 300D/TD
A bunch of other Audis from the 80s and 90s.

We’re talking about GM... the brand known to make any engine that isn't a small block v8 sound like ass.

I think that’s what she meant, work on it once warrantee expires.

Yeah basically.

I will likely be doing like, oil changes etc myself, (they charge EIGHTY DOLLARS ffs, and I think last time they damaged the sideskirt a bit, I HATE YOU HERB CHAMBERS, you don't even know the oil needs to be changed every 3k not 5!!!) but I got the extended warranty for a reason.

I'd like to be able to at least be able to guess what is wrong though. Like being able to pop the hood and tell if there is an obvious problem sort of thing. Also given the fact they are discontinuing the car and the dealers are removing their fiat signs I worry somewhat that my warranty won't actually be good the full remaining 5 years. There's a reason i had to limp the thing 40 miles to norwood, most of the nearby Chrysler brand dealers won't touch it.

Yeah basically.

I will likely be doing like, oil changes etc myself, (they charge EIGHTY DOLLARS ffs, and I think last time they damaged the sideskirt a bit, I HATE YOU HERB CHAMBERS, you don't even know the oil needs to be changed every 3k not 5!!!) but I got the extended warranty for a reason.

I'd like to be able to at least be able to guess what is wrong though. Like being able to pop the hood and tell if there is an obvious problem sort of thing. Also given the fact they are discontinuing the car and the dealers are removing their fiat signs I worry somewhat that my warranty won't actually be good the full remaining 5 years. There's a reason i had to limp the thing 40 miles to norwood, most of the nearby Chrysler brand dealers won't touch it.

Aren’t they contractually obligated to cover by law just like when Saab went away for GM?

Yeah basically.

Does the manual actually say 3,000 miles? If not, that rule of thumb is really pretty old, and modern oils are far superior. It really is a waste to change it that often if it is not needed.

Does the manual actually say 3,000 miles? If not, that rule of thumb is really pretty old, and modern oils are far superior. It really is a waste to change it that often if it is not needed.
I’m with this guy on that. Last car I had with a 3K oil change interval was my Z and only because the manual specifically called for mineral oil due to the quirks of the engine.

Only time I've ever changed oil earlier than 5k miles was when the car was barely driven. My Acura just simply tells me when to change the oil, based on time, mileage, and driving conditions.

If you want to do your own maintenance, the easiest things are air filter, cabin filter, engine oil, and brake pads.

I’m with this guy on that. Last car I had with a 3K oil change interval was my Z and only because the manual specifically called for mineral oil due to the quirks of the engine.

Only quirks? Not Quirks and Features?

Yeah basically.

Can confirm Herb Chambers is the worst.

We have been kicking around the idea of trading in the wife's 2010 Edge with 163k miles on the odo. I found a 2019 Explorer sport for a pretty good price at a dealer two hours from here so I sent a request on their web page last night. This morning I get a text asking if it is ok for them to text me why not just call....... he also sent an email with the wrong vehicle in it. I reply back to the email specifying which one I was interested and he promptly sends the correct vehicle asking if we wanted to come in for a visit today.

I respond a few hours later informing him live a couple hours away and ask what their out the door price is, he responds with we do not quote out the door prices.

For those that have done this over email/text why didn't he call and discuss this over the phone if you are a salesman that is half decent wouldn't that be the more personal approach to earn someones business? Has it become common to negotiate over text/email now? Is it common for them to not quote out the door pricing? We are in no hurry to trade in but if the deal was attractive enough driving a few hours to get a car is not a big deal.

We were planning on getting the new Aviator but with all the issues between them and the Explorer there is no way we are going to touch one for at least a year which is something we have discussed as well.

Your enquiry is being dealt with by a lazy jack-ass. Phone them and ask for the name of the Sales Manager and to speak with them assuming it's not the same person.

Your enquiry is being dealt with by a lazy jack-ass. Phone them and ask for the name of the Sales Manager and to speak with them assuming it's not the same person.

I figured that out after his first email on Saturday, if you are a salesman worth a crap you will answer questions better than flat out refusing a quote and not asking further questions. This morning I checked their website and the car was gone so either someone bought it between Saturday afternoon and 8 am this morning or it was one of those vaporware vehicles they use to get people on the lot.

The easiest way for companies to differentiate themselves today is customer service which unfortunately is severely lacking in numerous industries. Unless people have grown accustom to something breaking and they simply get a prepaid box to send it back and it gets replaced by a new one with their only interaction being an email. I find it amazing how many people go out of their way to do business by email/text instead of having a 10 minute conversation. With that being said I realize companies have also made it a RPITA to get an actual human on the phone that can help trouble shoot an issue.

Reactions: MWF
I realize companies have also made it a RPITA to get an actual human on the phone that can help trouble shoot an issue.
It’s expensive to have humans answer phones, you need many humans to handle many calls. You only need a few humans to handle many emails/chats.

You can also use bots for a lot of basic shit, which is like 80% of customer support requests anyway.
I find it amazing how many people go out of their way to do business by email/text instead of having a 10 minute conversation.
I can’t have a phone conversation while doing other things aside from driving, but I can text/email.

I get it a lot of people do not like it but at the same time there are a lot of people that would rather have the interaction. At the same time there is a ton of inefficiency in the robocall systems as well. The majority of the time I pound 0 until a human gets on the phone and normally I am done in minutes compared to endlessly navigating their menus and end up talking to a human anyway.

Moral of the story is don't be a jackass sales guy and at least make somewhat of an effort to gain someones business.