Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

I need an old ZIL fire truck with the Soviet style siren. Wooooo-du, woooo-du.

Last edited:
The Nissan Elgrand is pretty cheap at about a grand or two. They're seemingly huge, come with a big 3.2 diesel and available 4x4. They're not quite as weird as the Previa-related vans, though.

The Nissan Elgrand is pretty cheap at about a grand or two. They're seemingly huge, come with a big 3.2 diesel and available 4x4. They're not quite as weird as the Previa-related vans, though.
That looks a lot like a Hiace, maybe another option?

Mitsubishi Delica.

Went to change the oil in my TL - simple enough, I've done it a hundred times. Remove the drain plug and the oil comes gushing out much harder than I expected and misses my catch can, so now I have a nice puddle of oil in my driveway. Next, the filter won't come off - I've never had one stuck on this hard so I've never bothered to get a wrench; proceed to do the screwdriver fix and then order a filter wrench from Amazon. Next, go to add the new oil; can't find my funnel but how hard can it be, really? Well, I bump the can against the car and spill fresh oil all over the engine. Not my day today, apparently.

Went to change the oil in my TL - simple enough, I've done it a hundred times. Remove the drain plug and the oil comes gushing out much harder than I expected and misses my catch can, so now I have a nice puddle of oil in my driveway.

213505_x800.webp

:p

That's what I miss about my old Land Rover and MG, they featured an automatic oil draining design, which meant I only needed to top them off. :p

It is absolutely amazing how "The 18.5mm wrench I last used for <obscure bullshit 9 months ago> and haven't seen since" is exactly where I know it is, and literally every tool other people commonly handle is scattered completely at random around the garage.

At some point over the past few months someone walked off with my drill, one of the fucking chargers, and one of the fucking high capacity batteries without so much as asking. When I find out who the fuck they are, they are literally dead to me. I am at a complete fucking standstill because some inconsiderate fuck decided to be a dick.

I don't actually have an 18.5mm wrench. it was an example of the stupid shit I have and can locate immediately.

But I do know what 18.5mm sockets are for.

You know those stupid modern lug nuts with the crimped on chromey shell over the steel body? Eventually corrosion between the two layers happens, the shell swells and tears and generally fails, leaving just the inner steel body. For a 19mm lugnut, this inner shell is usually around about 18.5mm, and the failure process usually fucks up the corners enough that a 19mm socket won't grab it. So 18.5mm sockets absolutely exist.

The suspension saga is finally complete, got the energy bushings yesterday. Drilled out the old bushings and after much cussing, lubing and standing on it to get the bushing in everything is finally bolted up and the car drives rather well.

@Spectre thanks for the tip with the tub of lube, those little packets they ship with bushings suck balls I ended up straight tossing them

@Spectre thanks for the tip with the tub of lube, those little packets they ship with bushings suck balls I ended up straight tossing them

No problem; those little packets just never have enough. I suspect that a lot of the complaints about poly bushings squeaking right after install is traceable to there just not being enough lube in the kit in the first place.

The second or third time I found myself desperately trying to make a packet last for the entire project, I just said f**k it and got the tub. Never had a problem with them since - being able to slather the lubricant everywhere you need helps a lot.

Last edited:
You know those stupid modern lug nuts with the crimped on chromey shell over the steel body? Eventually corrosion between the two layers happens, the shell swells and tears and generally fails, leaving just the inner steel body. For a 19mm lugnut, this inner shell is usually around about 18.5mm, and the failure process usually fucks up the corners enough that a 19mm socket won't grab it. So 18.5mm sockets absolutely exist.

I hate those. They go in the garbage and I order up some Gorilla or McGard lug nuts.

Those aren't all that modern, I've seen them around since the 80s and I think they were around a couple decades before that.

I hate those. They go in the garbage and I order up some Gorilla or McGard lug nuts.

I also hate them - I go to the junkyard and get the proper lug nuts for the alloy wheels that are supposed to be fitted instead. :p